Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Armed and Styled

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Clickbait titles are a turnoff for me, but Armed & Styled is pretty mild clickbait compared to “Aiming is Useless” and the like.
    The flipside is… I knew exactly what video you meant when you said “aiming is useless” so from that standpoint it’s successful….

I love that video because it’s “aiming is useless if you have shitty trigger and grip.”

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Clickbait titles are a turnoff for me, but Armed & Styled is pretty mild clickbait compared to “Aiming is Useless” and the like.
    She seems like a lovely person, and a great spokesman for women and new shooters considering concealed carry. I do worry about her becoming a YT personality, and over exposing herself. Face it, no skilled shooter is going to her for technical shooting advice. Hopefully she stays in her lane and doesn't feel the need to drop some new vid every few days covering general gun topics that are already being done.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I watched a few of her videos a couple of months ago when searching for G43X/G48 content, specifically alternate magazines. I went down the rabbit hole and think she puts out good content from her perspective which is vastly different from my retired cop, shorn lowland gorilla perspective. I recommended her videos to my 24 year old daughter, that's how much I liked the content. I don't agree with everything shes says, but value her opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    She seems like a lovely person, and a great spokesman for women and new shooters considering concealed carry. I do worry about her becoming a YT personality, and over exposing herself. Face it, no skilled shooter is going to her for technical shooting advice. Hopefully she stays in her lane and doesn't feel the need to drop some new vid every few days covering general gun topics that are already being done.
    I know Tessa and she's done a module with me at Tac-Con. She also works for PHLSTER. She strikes me as grounded and not interested in being a YT personality and she definitely stays in her lane, which is a young little-bitty girl that carries a gun well concealed every day, and shoots, trains, and competes on a regular basis. As someone who has been called an "industry gatekeeper" I think she has a place personally.

I liked her reference to a Hip-To-Hip measurement. I am plenty heavy but not the largest dude in the world, and obviously what works for some will not work for me.
    Also as was mentioned, I do not always want to wear a Dickies work shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I liked her reference to a Hip-To-Hip measurement. I am plenty heavy but not the largest dude in the world, and obviously what works for some will not work for me.
    Also as was mentioned, I do not always want to wear a Dickies work shirt.
    Those kids have done quite a bit of useful nerdery on that subject.

https://youtu.be/uANfCRacxc0?si=ZIsvfRWwDL4lWXYq

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I don't know if adding "tend" changes the content of that sentence but if it does, in my experience people who recommend to carry the largest gun one can conceal tend to mean a more forgiving and less punishing gun to shoot that still answers concealment needs. Probably the most beneficial to newer shooters. I'm not sure why that advice is controversial or makes one's pet peeve list.
    My point is you're projecting your connotations of what "carry the largest gun" means and therefore concluding she's wrong and ending it there. You said she lost you at 34 seconds. So you didn't watch the whole video? She went on to literally make the exact point you made. But went further giving a decently novel measurement to help choose possibly a middle ground pistol. A "balanced approach". That a G17 my not be appropriate, but neither is a small .357 featherweight revolver.

Her full context in this video is solid and quite helpful.
    Last edited by rawkguitarist; 09-05-2023 at 11:40 AM.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    But that’s me. I shoot full size guns almost exclusively, I carry a pocket gun.

I don’t practice with pocket gun.

I test with it occasionally (maybe once every year or two) but don’t practice with it.

But I’m still objectively better performing with it than most people with full size guns. Sure, I’m an anomaly but the spectrum still holds true.

Get better and you’ll be better with everything.

If you mean carrying a pocket gun and not being proficient with that pocket gun, then I totally agree with you.
    No, I mean not being proficient with a big gun. The experience of developing a skillset on big guns and seeing it bleed down to pocket guns is pretty old, in my observations, and it is still a subject to the same selection bias. It is supported by the results achieved by high level shooters. If a dude cannot, yet, shoot his way out of a D class with a full sized gun, he and people around him are likely to be better served with him dressing around a big gun. Expectations of him turning in adequate and responsible performance on demand with a pocket gun is at best unrealistic and at worst dangerous. Needless to say, there are a lot more D class guys out there than A/M/GM combined.
    As far as practicing or not practicing with your carry gun, that's dealer's choice. I don't do it nearly as much as I should either and see the consequences. Shooting itself is not an issue as much, fundamentals are fundamentals, but manipulations suffer. Drawing a CZ out of open holster does little in improving extraction of a p365 from the Enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    My point is you're projecting your connotations of what "carry the largest gun" means and therefore concluding she's wrong and ending it there. You said she lost you at 34 seconds. So you didn't watch the whole video?
    Correct on all counts. Whether my connotation is more accurate or less accurate is obviously subjective although I feel that I have received some confirmation reading various responses to this thread. Same responses, as well as yours, indicate that past that point this young lady delivered a solid message. I am glad that she did and I hope she continues to do so. Me myself, if I hear someone take what I consider a false note, it is hard for me to find a motivation to keep listening. Perhaps she could judge my reaction as a constructive criticism to fine tune her further messages. Then again, she may find it just bitching of an old guy. I would hope for the former but I am OK with the latter too.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I know the approach is catering to the new CCWer, especially women, but I appreciate Tessah because a lot of her musings are things that even “experienced” armed citizens need to hear; or hear again after many years. It’s refreshing to see someone with a wide scope that isn’t passing out kool-aid cups of the flavor of the month.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    ...fundamentals are fundamentals, but manipulations suffer. Drawing a CZ out of open holster does little in improving extraction of a p365 from the Enigma.
    This is a great point. If the defender can't access the weapon quickly and effectively, how well they shoot doesn't matter. This is a good reminder for me to practice more with my actual carry gear, including all the clothes I wear in all seasons, in various environments (vehicle, etc.).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List