Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed and Styled

I also quite enjoy her content and have enjoyed watching her knowledge base increase over the past couple of years. Like others here, I've recommended her videos to female friends just starting to get interested in carrying and shooting. There are, sadly, a lot of gun bunnies on YouTube providing questionable recommendations... she ain't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I don't know if adding "tend" changes the content of that sentence but if it does, in my experience people who recommend to carry the largest gun one can conceal tend to mean a more forgiving and less punishing gun to shoot that still answers concealment needs. Probably the most beneficial to newer shooters. I'm not sure why that advice is controversial or makes one's pet peeve list.
    There's a popular legacy philosophy of "carry something G19-34 size and ONLY practice and shoot with that." To the point where some classes recommend taking the 600 round 2 day COF with "whatever gun you usually carry" even though (like she correctly describes in the video) that the requirements of a 600 day high round class are different physically than a 6 round self defensive encounter.

They're usually larger dudes who can conceal something like that... and they pooh pooh anyone not willing to wear Hawaiian shirts and baggy clothes as less committed.... even though with better competition training and practice, one can become objectively better at shooting even with a smaller gun than they are with their full size.

THAT's the controversy.

It shouldn't be controversial to show up to a 600 round training class with slide lock reloads with a full size gun when you normally carry a P365. But it is. We've seen it here where people feel like that's gaming the class rather than trying to get the most learning out of a class preventing fatigue and injury when shooting more rounds than would be normally used in a self defense context.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I also quite enjoy her content and have enjoyed watching her knowledge base increase over the past couple of years. Like others here, I've recommended her videos to female friends just starting to get interested in carrying and shooting. There are, sadly, a lot of gun bunnies on YouTube providing questionable recommendations... she ain't one of them.
    It's clear she's put the work in, both for training skill and knowledge. That's what distinctly sets her apart from a lot of personalities.

She also has taken literally almost every well known training class under the sun, but THINKS and APPLIES the knowledge rather than regurgitating it.

And ironically (and thankfully), her message will reach farther and wider than people stuck in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    There's a popular legacy philosophy of "carry something G19-34 size and ONLY practice and shoot with that."
    That is entirely different from the subject that the title of this video describes. Carry the largest gun you can conceal prompts to think through compromises between size vs performance in the context of one's concealment requirement, nothing else. Out of curiosity, how many times have you personally heard instructors recommend some minimally acceptable size/weight in classes that you took? I've lost a number of classes I've done and I haven't heard that myself; probably reflective of instructor selection. The most common sentiment that I have witnessed was about people shooting a class with a full size pistol, carrying a pocket gun, and never really practicing with that pocket gun.

Training on a big gun and carrying a small gun is not particularly controversial to me, although I have seen people latch on the idea and miss the salient points of execution.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    There's a popular legacy philosophy of "carry something G19-34 size and ONLY practice and shoot with that."
    That is entirely different from the subject that the title of this video describes. Carry the largest gun you can conceal prompts to think through compromises between size vs performance in a context of one's concealment requirement, nothing else. Out of curiosity, how many times have you personally heard instructors recommend some minimally acceptable size/weight in classes that you took? I've lost a number of classes I've done and I haven't heard that myself; probably reflective of instructor selection. The most common sentiment that I have witnessed was about people shooting a class with a full size pistol, carrying a pocket gun, and never really practicing with that pocket gun.

Training on a big gun and carrying a small gun is not particularly controversial to me, although I have seen people latch on the idea and miss the salient points of execution.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

She lost me at 34 seconds when she concluded that people who advice to carry the largest gun one can conceal basically mean "carry a large gun". I don't equate the two, and indeed prefer the largest gun that I can conceal. 365 and 26 is all that I carry these days.
    I watched the entire video. I agree that saying carry the largest gun you can conceal doesn't mean "carry a large gun", but that minor quibble didn't "lose" me for the rest of the video either, which I think is overall well balanced and reasonable.

Out of curiosity, how many times have you personally heard instructors recommend some minimally acceptable size/weight in classes that you took? I've lost a number of classes I've done and I haven't heard that myself; probably reflective of instructor selection.
    The only time I've ever heard anything like that was when a guy came to a class with an XDS45, and the instructor said maybe that wasn't the best choice *for the class* just due to the low ammo capacity.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

The most common sentiment that I have witnessed was about people shooting a class with a full size pistol, carrying a pocket gun, and never really practicing with that pocket gun.
    But that’s me. I shoot full size guns almost exclusively, I carry a pocket gun.

I don’t practice with pocket gun.

I test with it occasionally (maybe once every year or two) but don’t practice with it.

But I’m still objectively better performing with it than most people with full size guns. Sure, I’m an anomaly but the spectrum still holds true.

Get better and you’ll be better with everything.

If you mean carrying a pocket gun and not being proficient with that pocket gun, then I totally agree with you.

Clickbait titles are a turnoff for me, but Armed & Styled is pretty mild clickbait compared to “Aiming is Useless” and the like.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    The only time I've ever heard anything like that was when a guy came to a class with an XDS45, and the instructor said maybe that wasn't the best choice *for the class* just due to the low ammo capacity.
    There have been situations reported here from trainers where they had a student switch from a G48 or similar that they weren’t shooting very well in class to something larger as justification that they should be carrying a larger gun.

While I agree with that in general… fatigue and stamina also play into that calculus and I think my personal performance would drop off sharply after the first 100 rounds in one setting with a G48.

Doesn’t mean I couldn’t use it or carry it, it’s just not appropriate (for me) in a 600 round class.

User Tag List