Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Professional instructors and BAD printing…

After I pondered this thread some I realized the only instructor I really care to train with anytime soon is kyle defoor. His stance on how a carbine should be run and his approach to pistol shooting is something I really mesh with.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Youtube and Instagram have produced actors, not instructors, in so many cases.

Many are also compromised by their commercial relationships/sponsorships. So it is sorta like getting your firearms insights from Hollywood to trust some of these internet video celebs.

As cited, lots of LE's don't master concealment because it is not as big of a concern to them. Lots of the LE and ex.mil trainers don't have the first clue about context for somebody who lives and works in the corporate or business NPE world since they never have.

I don't follow any of the folks cited because I understand the natural pollution in their content that comes from never living in my context.

I do not follow any of the YouTubers listed. Though I am familiar with Lovell, something was always off putting about him. I’ve always looked at the YouTube crowd as “entertainers” putting on a show. I watch some firearms channels but strictly along those lines. I find Johnny Bs spicy Friday series pretty funny at times. To me they are basically tv shows. I find it unfortunate that some are turning to them for real guidance.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

If I notice a Gun Bump at a location on bellybutton or hip were guns are commonly holstered, I assume it is legit, the punks don't often wear holsters.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    After I pondered this thread some I realized the only instructor I really care to train with anytime soon is kyle defoor. His stance on how a carbine should be run and his approach to pistol shooting is something I really mesh with.
    I paid for my son to take a Defoor class, money well spent. The only downside is when I tell my son my 25 yd B8 score, he wants to know how fast I did it in.

Student

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    . . . do not actually conceal carry pistols all the time. . .

Watch what happens when you go take a class. Who has to switch out carry guns or get geared up?
    Me. I switch out.

Little did I know I was being judged as someone who is not serious about carrying for doing so, but I have very good reasons for switching out, and it's because I am serious about carrying concealed "all the time."

No one probably notices that I'm taking off my Glock 19 and holster, and securing it, to get out an identical Glock 19 and holster.

Why, you might ask?

The first reason is the carry gun gets used minimally, to reduce the wear and tear on the gun that might be needed to save my life, or the life of someone else. I'd rather beat up the spare in training. So, I take off the carry gun, loaded with pricey carry ammo, secure that gun/holster, and switch to the unloaded spare gun/holster, that I will be using with much less expensive ammo. Less administrative loading/unloading, and the carry gun, is clean and immediately ready to go at the end of the day.

The second reason is, I've been to several classes where either the instructor's policy, or range policy, is it's a "cold range," and we are only to load when on the range, and the instructor says to go "hot." So even if the range doesn't have a "cold range" policy, unless the instructor specifies ahead of time it's a "hot" range, I'd be starting "cold." So ditching the loaded carry gun, for the unloaded spare is a convenient way to start, and has the advantages mentioned above, related to switching from carry to training ammo, and having the carry gun ready to go at the end of the day. Also, the two classes I attended where the instructor ran a "hot" range, that wasn't specified ahead of time, so the safe bet was to start with an empty gun.

The last reason is silly, but is done to comply with my employer's policies. We aren't allowed to use anything other than issued ammo in our guns. Therefore, if I'm doing a class on my own time/dime, I'm also providing my own ammo. So I ditch the carry gun, and switch to the personal gun. It's unlikely anything bad would happen, that would result in the bosses learning I used something other than issued ammo, and then cause me trouble at work, but why take the chance?

So before you all assume the guy or gal switching out gear is someone who doesn't carry all the time, and isn't serious about carrying, you might consider there might be good reasons for swapping out guns for class.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Me. I switch out.

Little did I know I was being judged as someone who is not serious about carrying for doing so, but I have very good reasons for switching out, and it's because I am serious about carrying concealed "all the time."

No one probably notices that I'm taking off my Glock 19 and holster, and securing it, to get out an identical Glock 19 and holster.

Why, you might ask?

The first reason is the carry gun gets used minimally, to reduce the wear and tear on the gun that might be needed to save my life, or the life of someone else. I'd rather beat up the spare in training. So, I take off the carry gun, loaded with pricey carry ammo, secure that gun/holster, and switch to the unloaded spare gun/holster, that I will be using with much less expensive ammo. Less administrative loading/unloading, and the carry gun, is clean and immediately ready to go at the end of the day.

The second reason is, I've been to several classes where either the instructor's policy, or range policy, is it's a "cold range," and we are only to load when on the range, and the instructor says to go "hot." So even if the range doesn't have a "cold range" policy, unless the instructor specifies ahead of time it's a "hot" range, I'd be starting "cold." So ditching the loaded carry gun, for the unloaded spare is a convenient way to start, and has the advantages mentioned above, related to switching from carry to training ammo, and having the carry gun ready to go at the end of the day. Also, the two classes I attended where the instructor ran a "hot" range, that wasn't specified ahead of time, so the safe bet was to start with an empty gun.

The last reason is silly, but is done to comply with my employer's policies. We aren't allowed to use anything other than issued ammo in our guns. Therefore, if I'm doing a class on my own time/dime, I'm also providing my own ammo. So I ditch the carry gun, and switch to the personal gun. It's unlikely anything bad would happen, that would result in the bosses learning I used something other than issued ammo, and then cause me trouble at work, but why take the chance?

So before you all assume the guy or gal switching out gear is someone who doesn't carry all the time, and isn't serious about carrying, you might consider there might be good reasons for swapping out guns for class.
    EXACTLY !

Me. I switch out.

Why, you might ask?

I do the same thing. I don’t think that’s what the quoted poster was referring to. I took his comments to be about the guys who actually carry a J Frame or P365-sized gun and switch to a full-size pistol to shoot the class with.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    …Avoid back flips on the dance floor and you'll be good.
    Name:  IMG_6732.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  62.2 KB

Me. I switch out.

Why, you might ask?

Switching out your carry G19 for your training G19 wasn't what I was talking about. Or, switching out your duty mags/ammo for training mags/ammo. The guy who pocket carries an LCP and straps on a G34 for the class. Or, the guy who rolls up with no gun on at all. I HATE cold ranges with a passion and I understand why those rules are in place and I would never do this, but I know folks at matches with a J-frame in their pocket while they are walking around with empty race guns in their holsters because who would ever come out to a range and rob a bunch of guys with no bullets in their guns? Could never happen, amirite?

One of the big criticisms I had of a famous training duo from 10-12 years ago was that they were demonstrating cool guy techniques sans armor/helmet, wearing essentially competition belts, shooting cute little Knight's carbines and looked fantastic while doing so. Meanwhile, I looked like a special ed gorilla trying to replicate the techniques while wearing a MICH/ACH, CIRAS with plates, full belt with cuffs, respirator, kneepads, gloves, a super heavy 6721 and three mags for primary and secondary, etc.

I've criticized another famous former military instructor for holding a class about home defense/home invasions and doing it in full kit with helmets/plates/rifles. I worked more honest human victim home invasions than any other cop I've met because of where I worked. None of the victims would have ever had time to gear up before being assaulted.

Much of what I see from former high/speed-low drag guys is cosplay with guns, not actual techniques built on real events. Situational awareness is far more important than split times, but it's hard to teach and not that sexy.

I get if an instructor comes to the range from the airport and is not geared up, but otherwise, if they can legally carry, they should be strapped.

User Tag List