Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Professional instructors and BAD printing…

Professional instructors and BAD printing…

I’ll start off by saying that this thread is kind of silly and pointless. I would also like to add in that I’m not trying to disrespect anyone or make claims about a persons abilities. With that said I would like to point out an observation that has kind of “bothered” me for years…

Professional “pistol” instructors cant seem to conceal very well…

I always worried about printing back when I started carrying AIWB about eight years ago. While I have since dialed in my gear to pretty much eliminate most printing in a t shirt, back then I still had some printing. However, once I started seeing all these big name instructors printing BADLY I stopped caring as much.

But its still always bothered me… why do so many “big name” experts seem to print like crazy when wearing a t shirt?

Just watched a video of Travis Hailey doing draws from concealment under a normal t-shirt with a G19 sized gun. He was printing so badly that even the “sheeple” would notice from a mile away. Why?

Seen another video yesterday of Travis Kennedy/Kennedy Defensive Solution using a G19 size gun under a normal t-shirt and again; not just a little printing but a lot of very OBVIOUS printing.

Does all this matter? Nope! Not really but I cant help but wonder why so many experts cant seem to properly conceal a pistol under a t-shirt.

John Lovell? Some videos of him printing like crazy in t-shirts.

Lucas Botkin? Yep! Massive printing in his tees too.

Jason Pike/Froogman Tactical guy

Mike Glover (The rare time hes in a t-shirt and not a button up)

Shawn Ryan

Ive seen a ton more but I literally just spent five minutes scrolling through my Instagram feed and calling out what I seen.

Again; this whole thread is kinda silly and pointless but still it just kind of nags at me… why can’t professional instructors seem to conceal in a t shirt? I can and I’m not a professional instructor. Kind of makes it hard to take them seriously in some regards.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I see some of them not printing when using a smaller gun such as the sig 365 but never the G19s they claim to carry every day.
    Last edited by Warped Mindless; 08-06-2023 at 06:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    If you live on the shooting range, printing with your big gun isn’t a big deal. If you are on a shooting range demoing shooting drills on video, printing with your big gun isn’t a big deal.

Since I don’t live on a shooting range, don’t record myself shooting and post to the social media land, and have the profession I have, I am very careful about printing in my daily life, and pretty much never carry anything but a very small gun except when doing outdoors activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If you live on the shooting range, printing with your big gun isn’t a big deal. If you are on a shooting range demoing shooting drills on video, printing with your big gun isn’t a big deal.

Since I don’t live on a shooting range, don’t record myself shooting and post to the social media land, and have the profession I have, I am very careful about printing in my daily life, and pretty much never carry anything but a very small gun except when doing outdoors activities.
    I don’t disagree with anything you said at all but most of these dudes claim to be carrying Glock 19s (and similar sized guns) around daily. I always wonder “jeez, they really walking around really printing that badly?” But I guess they could just never wear t-shirts but like, I know plenty of people who arent “professional” who have very minimal to no printing in t shirts with G19s so like, wtf? Lol

I don't know about everyone else on the list but Botkin's problem is that he makes and uses garbage holsters, and Lovell's problem is that he uses those holsters or ones like them.

Oh, and if Haley is still using an Incog, that's another garbage holster problem.

I have to guess a lot of them are also wearing a size too small a T-shirt for concealment to show off the results of their workout routine. You don't have to wear super baggy clothes to conceal a gun in a T-shirt, but I think those of us using them to conceal full size guns would all agree we don't wear as small a shirt as we could otherwise get away with.

I also have a really hard time concealing a G19-sized gun in a t-shirt unless it’s a size larger than I prefer to wear and made with a certain material. That’s why I primarily wear button-up shirts. If I had to guess, most of the YouTube trainer crowd also doesn’t carry G19-sized guns day in and day out regardless of what they say. I’m guessing there are a lot more P365-sized guns than there are G19-sized guns getting tucked into their pants. As has already been mentioned, the majority of those guys claim to use holsters that a lot of us think are suboptimal as well.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I've got 3 guns pistols I've tried to carry concealed- Glock 19, 1911, and Beretta 92. I've got the same make & type of holster for each (CCC Gestalt).
    Of the 3, the Glock just seems to poke out more, even in situations where the 1911 or 92 hide just fine.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Good concealment is why I almost always carry a 10 shot subcompact 9mm rather than a mid-size gun like a G19. The likelihood that I will have to go someplace where concealment really matters is higher than the likelihood of the extra five cartridges making a difference.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

For me, a G19 w/iron sights in a JMCK wing claw is so easy to conceal that I can wear a sMedium T shirt.

Add an optic, and I might have to start dressing around the gun.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    why can’t professional instructors seem to conceal in a t shirt? I can and I’m not a professional instructor. Kind of makes it hard to take them seriously in some regards.
    I'm going to take a WAG and say they don't want to reduce printing because they want to demonstrate their ZOMG fast skills on Instatubetok.

My normal AIWB carry gun holster is very deeply tucked behind the belt and very tight to my body. It adds at least 0.5-0.75 to my draw.

It's not what I would use to a "class" because my belly would be raw from scraping and thumbnail digging, so if I went it would be a little more forgiving of a holster selection.

Different priorities for different people in different scenarios, I guess?

It’s like taking concealment advice from a cop. There are very few NPE’s for cops. I’m guessing these trainers are similar. They are mostly in gun friendly environments and do not have to live in the real world.

User Tag List