Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J Frame light strike's

Site Supporter
    ^^^^Bummer! But it's better to find it out this way than to find out when you really needed it.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    Well...my spring pack and firing pin showed up this morning, after the day was wrapped up I popped off the side plate and sob, the hammer stud is sheared off. I guess that would certainly explain a couple of light strikes but, its surprising the gun ran as well as it did with the hammer more or less free floating, in the rounds I've fired I've never felt the slightest hint of a trigger hitch of any kind, I cant imagine how this could happen with a concealed hammer, guess it doesn't matter I'm headed to the smith tomorrow to see if he can drill / press it out and press in a replacement, or UGH...see if it needs to take an 8 week +/- (if I'm lucky) trip to S&W.
    Hopefully it doesn't have to go back to S&W for repairs. The last revolver I returned to them (for a broken trigger stud!) came back with all new factory springs, and a new trigger. The repair order stated the trigger was replaced for being out of spec. Yup, that 625 had a trigger job done to it, and was really slick. It's possible that the trigger had been damaged by floating around only semi restrained, but I still think it was because of the trigger job. Anyway, the 625 came back pretty much factory stock again.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Hopefully it doesn't have to go back to S&W for repairs. The last revolver I returned to them (for a broken trigger stud!) came back with all new factory springs, and a new trigger. The repair order stated the trigger was replaced for being out of spec. Yup, that 625 had a trigger job done to it, and was really slick. It's possible that the trigger had been damaged by floating around only semi restrained, but I still think it was because of the trigger job. Anyway, the 625 came back pretty much factory stock again.
    A lot of kitchen table gunsmiths stress the hammer and trigger studs by testing their work with the side plate off. That isn't good at all on the studs. But the factory will generally replace all modified trigger parts as a matter of course.

Site Supporter
    Well... the smith say's he could take care of it but the best option by far cosmetically , would be to send it to S&W, who should take care of it under warranty, you can certainly see the imperfections in the mim stud at the break. There are no signs of trigger work having been done, just some honest wear at contact points. I guess on the bright side, I have Wolf / Apex springs and extended FP if needed. On another note, he did say, under no circumstances would he buy a new S&W revolver based on what he's seen with brand new out of the box smith's, including / especially Pro Center gun's which are more money for none of what you paid for internally having been done, full of shit & grit, no polishing just different / more lube, customers are paying him to straighten our new gun's rather than send em back, some of whom already have, with no improvement. Nothing we haven't heard before, just confirmation of the world we're in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    A lot of kitchen table gunsmiths stress the hammer and trigger studs by testing their work with the side plate off. That isn't good at all on the studs. But the factory will generally replace all modified trigger parts as a matter of course.
    'Twern't me. I bought it as/was from a pin shooter. I agree that the side plate needs to be in place for function checks.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List