Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Alcohol discussion thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I've found I enjoy more delicate whiskeys neat. Peat or smoke, doesn't matter. Laphroaig 10, Glenlivet 15, Balvenie Doublewood, Auchentoshan Three Wood, Basil Hayden's, and Bulleit Rye are solid picks IMO. I don't enjoy the flavor as much when the burn takes up the whole stage. Also, some whiskeys (like Glenlivet 15) taste great with club soda, ice, and an aromatic lime wedge.
    Yes, Basil Hayden's and Bulleit Rye are both pretty nice and easy to drink. Probably good intro picks for new bourbon/rye drinkers too.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Bulliet's bottle is great! I like the design. When I was in school I did some archaeological digs in New Jersey and dug up a bunch of old bottles from the late 1800's; Bulliet really nailed the aesthetic.
    Bulliet bourbon bottles appear all over the place in the HBO Deadwood series....

I think Basil Hayden's is under-appreciated. Definitely an excellent buy for the money.

Noah Creek is also quite good, but more pricey.

And for a mixer with cola or something else, I really like Heaven Hill. It's made by the same company that makes Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, et al. You can get a handle jug for about $20 if you look.

In fact, I will bring a case of Heaven Hill handle jugs to Sean M's PFestivus meetup if I can get there. (Please hold it in Texas).

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I think Basil Hayden's is under-appreciated. Definitely an excellent buy for the money.

Noah Creek is also quite good, but more pricey.

And for a mixer with cola or something else, I really like Heaven Hill. It's made by the same company that makes Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, et al. You can get a handle jug for about $20 if you look.

In fact, I will bring a case of Heaven Hill handle jugs to Sean M's PFestivus meetup if I can get there. (Please hold it in Texas).
    I can't drink Evan Williams but I have no problem with Elijah Craig. Go figure.

Basil Hayden is nice if a bit "thin".
    Last edited by blues; 09-20-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Bulliet bourbon bottles appear all over the place in the HBO Deadwood series....
    Yes, which is odd since the only brand they ever mentioned on the show was Basil Hayden's.

The thing to remember about scotch, especially single malts, is that the regional variations are abut as extreme as those between regional styes of barbecue. It's really worth it -- well, it can be worth it, it's a matter of taste, after all -- to seek out a scotch tasting, and keep notes.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I recently discovered Angel's Envy. I like their bourbon, but their rye is really interesting.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List