Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol discussion thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Seems everything made by Buffalo Trace is oversubscribed, especially it's namesake Bourbon.
    I've considered it a motivation to try new stuff.
    I can find the Buffalo Trace branded bourbon any time around here -- and it's really not a bad choice. And sure, I try other bourbons regularly -- Blanton's is just a favorite. I picked up a bottle of Four Roses single barrel the other day I'm looking forward to opening.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I have a small local market that carries a good selection of liquor. I've spoken with the manager and I'm on the list to hold a bottle for me when the Blanton's arrive. Most stores only get a few bottles a month, and arrival times vary.
    Do you need a bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Do you need a bottle?
    Thanks for the inquiry! I'm good, have the one I'm working on and another in reserve. I probably should have been clearer. The store manager has been my go to for over a year now, and I've been lucky enough to to keep Blanton's in the cabinet on a regular basis.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by LSP552; 09-19-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Several questions:

Has anyone had a taste of Pappy Van Winkle, and, if so, was it worth the exorbitant price?

Next, I have tried to enjoy Scotch many times but I just don't get it. It almost always tastes like I imagine jet fuel would taste. I had a bottle of Lagavulin and enjoyed the peaty aroma, but sipping it was difficult. Any pointers on how to learn to enjoy Scotch?

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Several questions:
    Next, I have tried to enjoy Scotch many times but I just don't get it. It almost always tastes like I imagine jet fuel would taste. I had a bottle of Lagavulin and enjoyed the peaty aroma, but sipping it was difficult. Any pointers on how to learn to enjoy Scotch?
    First, start with Yamazaki or Oban. These are good, smooth, but not too peaty with a subtle sweetness.
    Be sure to pour into a good, wide glass tumbler or snifter. Have a glass of icewater on the side.
    You'll want to drop in 5 drops of icewater- some use an eyedropper, but a wet ice cube will work.
    Be sure to take your time to first smell it, then to breath in the aroma and taste that (I really don't know the proper phrase). Then you take a very small sip, and let that linger for a bit.
    Take your time- good Scotch is a drink to savor. Take an occasional drink of the water, and repeat.

Several questions:

Has anyone had a taste of Pappy Van Winkle, and, if so, was it worth the exorbitant price?

I have tasted Pappy Van Winkle four times, and they were pours from four different bottles. And on someone else's expense account, thank goodness.

May Vishnu help me, I did not think they were worth the exorbitant price. They were very good, they were excellent. But at roughly a hundred bucks an ounce, I've had Bourbon that I considered it's equal or better for less money.

In the words of TLG (rest his soul) "I haz a sad."

Funny you mention having difficulty with Scotch. May I politely recommend a bottle of Dalwhinnie? I think it's a excellent Scotch to people to explore. Easy on the palate, with enough flavors and tastes to intrigue people. But not so much going on that you wonder if someone accidentally mixed some Pine-Sol with the cooking sherry. I was texting with someone yesterday, and we came up with that Scotch for that reason. And he's not someone that prefers Scotch as his favorite poison, either.

Site Supporter

Pappys is very good but there are better for less.
    Bookers is numero uno for me. Blantons, Eagle Rare, Bulleit Rye.....

I've had most of the Pappys bottlings. Very good but I'd take 2, 3, 5 bottles of Bookers instead.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Bookers is excellent, much agree with Mr Biv. Every year they make slightly different batches, so it's worth accumulating.

I do love it poured over some cracked ice on a hot day. A bit heretical, I know. But the results are worth it.

Blanton's is also selling pre-made Manhattans in a bottle. I have a bottle of that I need to try. Perhaps for the Revolver Roundup with cigars?

Several questions:

Are you over 30? I'm finding that stuff I liked as a college student is terrible and have grown into more "adult" drinks. Islay scotches and classic cocktails are really hitting the spot right now.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Scotch is a funny thing... My Dad used to drink it pretty much exclusively as it was seen as a more "high class" drink than bourbon. He kinda drank the cheap stuff you could buy at the Navy PX, and that's the first Scotch I ever had. Didn't much care for it, preferred bourbon when I got into my early 20's. A friend of a friend brought back a bottle of Glenfiddich from a duty free shop in Heathrow. Wow, what a difference. Moved on the smokey Islay malts after that, but still enjoy the lighter Highland styles. No matter what anyone says, it's OK to have ice with your single malts. Whatever works for you. I like scotch better during the Fall/Winter months.

User Tag List