Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How to you handle this situation

Site Supporter
    Whether or not school is in session affects frequency of police calls, and here this fact determines where I go and when. Location of rehab facilities, halfway houses, large apartment complexes, and homeless shelters are other variables that can determine an area's safety. Housing projects are to be avoided. There was one here called Death Valley. I went there many times by myself when looking for my students who ceased attending. When I retired, several adults living in this place told me that residents thought I was crazy and were afraid of me. They said that my being viewed as crazy was the reason nobody killed me. When I retired after 16 years in this school district, I was shell shocked. For real.

Here is a similar example from Dallas. A plain clothes police officer was conducting surveillance in a parked "covert vehicle" late at night when a car pulled behind behind him and three people emerged. At least two of them pointed guns at him.

They demanded that the plainclothes officer get out of the car, which he did. Once out of the car, the plain clothes police officer placed some distance between him and the teens and draws his gun and there begins the gunfight. The officer backs away rapidly as he is firing. At least two of the robbers were shooting at him--one from the officer's "covert car", and one from the driver's side of the suspects' original car. The officer was wounded in the leg and the three robbers fled with their original vehicle and the one stolen from the officer. They were later apprehended in Louisiana.

Here is a link to the original article which has a very good video of the incident:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dallas-pl...ouisiana-teens

Here are some screen cuts from the video.

Name:  parking lot 1.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  35.5 KB

I expanded the photo. I put a red arrow pointing to what I assume is the police officer and a green arrow above what appears to be the undercover car, a Dodge Challenger.

Name:  parking lot.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  44.7 KB
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-11-2023 at 10:04 PM.

A coworker and I were just discussing this type of situation earlier today. We regularly do surveillance alone in sketchy areas, wearing civilian clothes in unmarked vehicles. There’s enough violent crime and just weird stuff in Albuquerque that I sometimes wear soft armor concealed under my shirt on surveillance.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

If I don't like the look of any vehicle or it's occupants I lean on the horn until the vehicle leaves. I don't look directly at the occupants while doing so. I keep them in view but pretend to be looking angrily at something else. People up to no good don't like loud attention grabbing noises. Looking directly at the occupants might cause a conflict where one didn't need to exist.

Aside from that as usual what Southnarc says.

Billings is really going downhill. Ms13 is moving in, lots of drugs and people trafficked through it, and the cops are more worried about handing out traffic tickets than stopping ms13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I likely would reverse my way out. Making contact with their vehicle and pushing it out of the way if driving forward was not an option.

That is strictly because:

A. Most sedans these days are not that heavy.

and

B. I am trained to do so.

What I definitely would not do is engage in a gunfight. The bad guys had the numbers in their favor, and they chose the time and place for the fight/confrontation. None of those favor you.

Worst case scenario, give them your wallet, but don't push a bad fight.
    This option is one of the reasons I drive a Ford F250; “Truck Smash”

Remember when BG's were ramming the car behind at a light to set off the car's air bag then getting out and robbing them........

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    My bet is that there is more to this story, but that's just me.
    I lean that way, but there are some brazen douchebag carjackers out there. At the very least I expect there may have been a "I did see some sketchy dudes near the bank/store/whatever, but I didn't think much of it."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Kinda seems like a series of failures. Fail to pay attention to the car load of sketchy people showing up. Failure to realize that things were going downhill til it was too late.

I’m sure there’s a bunch of John Wicks out there for this situation, but reality is your best bet is to predict and avoid the problem beforehand.

User Tag List