Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How to you handle this situation

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A second suspect has been charged in connection to an armed robbery outside of Scheels in Billings last month.

Nathen Patrick Doyle, 21, pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Yellowstone County District Court to counts of robbery and tampering with evidence. Following his arraignment, Doyle’s mother, Brandi LaRaye Garcia, pleaded not guilty to accusations of harboring Doyle while he had an active warrant for his arrest.

Officers with the Billings Police Department pulled into the parking lot of Scheels on July 8 responding to a robbery, the Gazette previously reported. Victims told police they were sitting in a parked vehicle when a gray sedan trapped them in their space.

The victims said at least four people got out of the sedan, all of whom were carrying firearms; one person had an assault-style rifle and the others had handguns, according to court documents. A suspect allegedly demanded one of the victim’s wallet, putting a gun to his head and threatening his life, before all of the suspects drove away from the scene.
    are there missing details?

Sounds targeted like they knew the “victims” or had been scoping them out?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I once asked a car salesperson about the automatic breaking. What if I need to plow through a zombie? He said, if you hit the gas, it overrides the braking. I don't know if this is true. It bothered as sometimes I saw the need to keep going.

Another idea - if stupid, so be it. My car has a Starlink - SOS - person comes on, asks what's up, GPS to send for the emergency folks. Press that and they will hear a conversation of: Don't shoot me, here's the wallet. Also, hitting your fob alarm?

Does that make the person more likely to shoot? Hit the noise before they even get to your car. I was walking to my car and the typical - can I talk to you, it's an emergency - miscreant started to approach. He was next to my car and I thought the alarm would be fun. Then something distracted him. I was ready with the I'm sorry, I can't help you - routine. I still had plenty of space. Went into the store and told the desk that they had such a fellow annoying the elderly and they called the law.

The incident does sound a touch targeted.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    An executive protection/close protection dude who has experience doing solo protection work can teach people more about keeping safe than the vast majority of high speed tactical ninjas can.
    Not a bad idea.

Who’s the SouthNarc of executive protection training?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Not a bad idea.

PatMac wrote Sentinel: Become the Agent in Charge of Your Own Protection Detail.
    Three bucks on Kindle.
    I thought I had read it,but evidently not.
    It's got 4.7/5 out of 1245 ratings, FWIW,

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    My bet is that there is more to this story, but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The incident does sound a touch targeted.
    Not one or two but four dudes roll up on one particular car, jocked up with a rifle and what all else, just to snag a wallet? And leave content with just a wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Not a bad idea.

Haven't read the PatMac book, so no comment.

I'm a firm believer that if you want to increase, teach situational awareness you should read, and should encourage/make family members to read The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Bescker.

In terms of further reading I'd go with: Left of Bang and Just Two Seconds. Being a nice guy, I left Just Two Seconds in my office bookcase for the guy who replaced me, looking at the price now, I really wish I hadn't.

https://www.amazon.com/Just-2-Second...rmat=4&depth=1

https://www.amazon.com/Just-2-Second...rmat=4&depth=1

ETA: Just ordered the Pat Mac book.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    PatMac wrote Sentinel: Become the Agent in Charge of Your Own Protection Detail.
    Three bucks on Kindle.
    I thought I had read it,but evidently not.
    It's got 4.7/5 out of 1245 ratings, FWIW,
    Without having the expertise to really judge it, I thought that book was REALLY worth it as an introduction to the topic.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    Just thinking out loud. If I saw a car block another and 4 guys surround it with rifles, I'd think it was the plain clothes law or a cartel assassination as compared to 'Give me your wallet'.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

If I'm reading this correctly there are two "good" guys in a car blocked in by another car. Stationary vehicle surrounded by "at least" 4 people, one with a rifle.

There is no gun or car solution for that problem.

Compliance is the only immediate solution.

Compliance works. I'm living proof of it. I complied in 8 of those 9 robberies I referenced. The one where I actually didn't cost me some hearing in my left ear after a fight over a gun in a car. Why didn't I comply with that one? Because it didn't feel like the others.

No one can teach you that. No one can teach you when you should comply and when you shouldn't.

Honestly I have no idea if that guy was pulling the trigger on me when I made my initial move or if my initial move caused an involuntary clenching of his hand and he squeezed that round off accidentally. That was certainly what his attorney argued.

That round missed my head by about an inch.

Anyway the point is that despite being a violent felony, the vast majority of robberies don't end with a killing. Thousands of people that live in housing projects and bad neighborhoods are robbed as part of life. Me saying that doesn't minimize the urgency of robbery.

If you're gonna make the move at gunpoint, authentically feigning compliance is how you set that up. Using speech to impose friction on motor processes and splitting attention is critical. An example of that would be when they say "Gimme your wallet" you reply "Dude you want the wallet, the cash or my watch?" 1,2,3 things he's thinking about now. Using your hands to pattern compliance works well to set up a draw. You hand over your watch. your wallet, your key fob, and THEN your muzzle.

None of these are range skills and there is no dot-torture, 5x5, or live fire analog for this.

I don’t know what I’d do in this situation. Probably hand over the wallet and hope things don’t escalate.

However, when it comes to pushing vehicles out of the way, ramming speed often isn’t a good choice. I’ve been blocked a few times parking on the streets of LA. I got out by placing the bumper against the offending vehicle, dropping the tranny into first gear and pushing. The vehicles moved without sheetmetal damage or setting off airbags. Another option to consider for those in 4x4s- put the T-case in 4lo.

I’m not suggesting this would have been a good choice in the situation being discussed. Just saying pushing instead of ramming is likely to be more effective in moving vehicles out of the way.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List