Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield Plus 10 Pound Trigger and Rebate Questions

Shield Plus 10 Pound Trigger and Rebate Questions

In the next couple weeks I am going to snag a Shield Plus and am curious about a couple things.

I have had three single stack Shields in the past (40, 9, 45 Collect the Whole Set!! ) and never really cared for the extended magazines with the sleeve. Consequently, I am considering ordering one of the SKUs that are ten round compliant. There is also a rebate going on for three free magazines, and I will want three ten round magazines and purchasing the ten round gun might simplify that process.

The rub is that the ten round SKUs are also MA compliant ten pound triggers. Maybe I will get it and be OK with it, perhaps if it is crisp enough it will actually like it for this type of subcompact pistol. But, in the case that I get it and hate it, does anyone know the specifics of what is different? Maybe just as simple as the trigger and sear spring? I tried to go look up parts lists but they seem a little more elusive than they used to be. Probably could do the Apex kit easy enough, just not sure I want to start on this project planning to throw money at it. Just wondering if anybody knows.

The other part of my question is if anyone knows if the rebate process allows you to specify what magazines you want? If I buy a regular SKU and it comes with a 12rnd and a 10rnd mag, will I have an ability to choose when I submit the rebate? The www site doesn't let me past the page that asks for a serial number.

Anyway, I might be thinking wacky, but am curious if anybody knows.

Just a guess here, but if you submitted your rebate for 3 free magazines, the serial number or SKU should clue S&W that this an MA pistol and send you 10-round magazines. But this is a guess on my part. A phone call to them could clear up any questions you might have. Or S&W could just be shipping only 10-round magazines for the rebate, no matter which state one lives in. This would be the simplest for S&W to do.

As far as lightning the trigger pull, I have included a link which shows the springs in a Shield. Each spring can add or take away from the trigger pull. The trigger return spring would be the number one suspect in adding weight to the trigger pull. But all springs taken together would collectively add weight to the trigger pull. Personally, I would leave the factory sear spring in the pistol. S&W upgraded the sear spring in the 1.0 models due to the sear not catching the striker leg on occasions. That spring is a bit heavier which causes the sear to pop back up quicker, thus engaging the striker leg as designed. My assumption is that heavier sear spring is now standard on these pistols.

If you do decide to change the springs, I would start with the trigger return spring and see how the trigger pull feels. Then decide if that weight works for you.

https://www.mcarbo.com/smith-wesson-...pring-kit.aspx
    Last edited by JAH 3rd; 08-05-2023 at 12:05 PM.

Fine print

https://www.swrebates.com/SW/#/promodisplay

Looks like magazine capacity is restricted to SKU purchased.

many states are 10 round. So likely not all have the shitty trigger

One could visit a local retailer and buy a standard shield and sell the 12 or save the 12 round for when you sell the gun (as evidenced by your above post)

One could ask SW if they could get 10 rounders on the rebate

If the gun is for real usage you need to buy at least 5 more mags anyways

If you don't like to support local businesses buy from a state like Washington that has 10 round limit but no trigger requirements would be the easy button

Also I'm sure a gun shop could order a 10 round sku.

When SW Shield 9mm first came out, I had to have one.

I paid a lot for it compared to what they were selling for down the road.

I ended up with a MA Complaint 9 lbs trigger and at 3 yards, I could not keep it in a 1" circle. Trigger was just to heavy and the OT after the break caused me to move.

I ended up buying a duty/carry kit from APEX. The hardest part of the install was removing the rear sight. TIGHT was a understatement.

It brought my trigger press to a very clean breaking 6 lbs and accuracy in a 1" circle at 3 yards surfaced. YAY!!!!
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

As mentioned, Apex is the answer to a balky trigger on a Shield Plus.

I had an original 9mm Shield and it’s a night and day difference with the Plus. The stock Shield Plus trigger is really fantastic and I would highly recommend finding a 10-round version with the regular trigger such as SKU 13558, Optics Ready 10+1. The optics ready versions also come with night sights, which I appreciate and don’t really plan to mount a red dot on them. I see these are currently under $400 online.

Owning three Shield Pluses, I’ve experienced minor issues with both the 10 and 13 round mags. Two 10-rounders failed to lock back after about a year and S&W sent me replacement springs and followers. One 13-round spacer split at the seam after dropping a few times on concrete and S&W sent me a new mag.

Btw, the Plus extended mags don’t have the sliding sleeve like the original Shield mags. The spacer is now part of the baseplate so it doesn’t move around. Unfortunately, that also means the spacer holds the mag together.

I Apex'd up my OG Sheild- but don't really feel the need for my new Plus.
    But it's nice to know I have the option.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I didnt like the 8rd mags for the OG Shield because the of the spacer. Because it wasnt anchored and sort of floated along the magazine tube, it could cause some problems. I took to using adhesives to solve that problem. The spacers on the Shield Plus are anchored much better, and have posed no issue.

Now, if you are commenting on the possible pinch point, that's another issue never to be cured. That said carrying the OG Shield for 3+ years almost everyday, and practicing avoiding the pinch, it has become a non-issue. With carrying the Shield Plus now, its still a non-issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I Apex'd up my OG Sheild- but don't really feel the need for my new Plus.
    But it's nice to know I have the option.
    I put an Apex kit in my daughter’s Shield. It was a noticeable improvement. I have three Pluses and am not going to bother on those, they don’t really need it.

User Tag List