Thread: When your FTO is chill

When your FTO is chill

So I saw this meme posted on a retired K9 guys FB page. I kind of wrote a lot about it so I might as well post it here too. I think it can generate some good discussion.

I was officially an FTO for 2+ years but I was also the guy my Sergeant sent the OITs to when their trainer was off for a couple years before that.

When I was the unofficial FTO the first thing I told OITs was it’s a fun night. Yeah I’ll grade you but we’re having fun. I still remember the Officer who told me that when I was on FTO myself.

It’s crazy how much pressure and stress OITs have just learning the job. I fully believe in stress inoculation but you reach a point where it’s a diminishing return. I knew FTOs that flew off the handle and would yell and hit the dashboard. I don’t know how they didn’t stroke out. That was never my style[emoji2371]

The FTO is a trainer and supervisor. Yeah you’re supervising one person but it’s on you. Frankly it’s one of the most important positions in the department. It’s you training people who’ll be there 20+ years hopefully.

It’s sad that FTOs now are likely Officers who have less then 2 years on. An Officer who has less then 2 years on has no business training people. They’re still learning the job. If I was Chief you’d have 3-5 years on.

I think one of the reasons we see a decline in the profession is the lack of experienced Officers who want to do it. It’s a job that you definitely need to be compensated for doing it. It can be extra pay, good days off etc.

Wow I wrote a lot. I guess the meme touched a nerve. [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post

So I saw this meme posted on a retired K9 guys FB page. I kind of wrote a lot about it so I might as well post it here too. I think it can generate some good discussion.

I was officially an FTO for 2+ years but I was also the guy my Sergeant sent the OITs to when their trainer was off for a couple years before that.

When I was the unofficial FTO the first thing I told OITs was it’s a fun night. Yeah I’ll grade you but we’re having fun. I still remember the Officer who told me that when I was on FTO myself.

It’s crazy how much pressure and stress OITs have just learning the job. I fully believe in stress inoculation but you reach a point where it’s a diminishing return. I knew FTOs that flew off the handle and would yell and hit the dashboard. I don’t know how they didn’t stroke out. That was never my style[emoji2371]

The FTO is a trainer and supervisor. Yeah you’re supervising one person but it’s on you. Frankly it’s one of the most important positions in the department. It’s you training people who’ll be there 20+ years hopefully.

It’s sad that FTOs now are likely Officers who have less then 2 years on. An Officer who has less then 2 years on has no business training people. They’re still learning the job. If I was Chief you’d have 3-5 years on.

I think one of the reasons we see a decline in the profession is the lack of experienced Officers who want to do it. It’s a job that you definitely need to be compensated for doing it. It can be extra pay, good days off etc.

Wow I wrote a lot. I guess the meme touched a nerve. [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good post.

As to the bolded sections above:

I never did understand the " 'roided out drill instructor routine"...maybe some people just get their jollies power tripping that way. As a once-upon-a-time Marine, I get that it has it's place, but not the front seat of a patrol car.

It should be compensated, but....... there are active duty personnel that have no business teaching others, who would nevertheless sign up just for those few extra shekels.

As an FTO, I only had one trainee before I jumped to CID. I was lucky that he was (is) a good kid, who came to the profession for the right reasons.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

When I was new, I had a quite knowledgeable and experienced training officer, who later went on to become the Homicide Lt. He treated me like a junior partner, no yelling, berating, or theatrics whatsoever. Later, when I became a training officer, I treated the new OITs the same way. On my last Patrol squad, IIRC my senior guy only had about two years on. Fortunately, he was a real sharp young troop. He did an excellent job as an FTO, and went on to become an Air Support pilot, later a K9 handler. I agree that having more time on before becoming an FTO is desirable. I don't know what's going on with training now days. In today's big city political environment, I couldn't in good conscience recommend anyone become a police officer..

I did watch Bob Ross years ago

I almost got in a fist fight with an FTO because Of my own accord I decided to terminate a pursuit. That was fun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I was an FTO for 6 and a half years. Trained 37 recruits in that time. I agree that the position should be compensated....but it ain't worth the money! If you're doing it right, it's exhausting. You're not only paying attention to everything that you normally do on patrol, you're paying attention to what the trainee is seeing, what they're not seeing, and why. I also agree it's the single best possible preparation for being a sergeant.

I told my recruits that I did all my yelling with my pen. That if they fucked up, it would get documented, but that I wanted them to learn. The stress of the job and and the stress of being constantly evaluated was enough....no need to add silly amateur hour drill sergeant bullshit.

I'd always spend the first hour or so together after briefing making sure their tag books and old report Posse Box (remember those?) were set up properly with everything they needed, setting expectations, etc. Had this young female recruit once who during this session had a thousand yard stare and sweat dripping down her face. More nervous than any recruit I ever had. I took her to get a cup if coffee, sat her down and just talked to her for a bit. First couple of days for her were rough....wrapped so tight she did some goofy things. But she eventually figured out I wasn't an asshole and relaxed. Ended up being a decent recruit, and a great person. In fact, it was to her that I turned in all of my gear when I retired. She was working a light duty gig in the property room while recovering from surgery. End of an era for both of us.

User Tag List