Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of mice without poisoning the dog?

Getting rid of mice without poisoning the dog?

I’ve got a family of mice under my backyard shed.

My rodent-phobic wife asks at least 3x per day if I’ve disposed of them yet.

Ordinarily I’d just put out bait traps, but after expiring, it would take our dogs maybe 5-minutes to find and consume it (I’m very disappointed they haven’t dispatched them already.)

I tried some live traps, but no luck so far.

Go to a pet store and buy four mice.
    Crucify them at each corner of your house.
    Let them serve as a warning for the others to contemplate as they weep and wail on the Tree of Woe.

A very real worry here. I listened to a Veterinarian talking trash about rat /mice poison and I have to say I totally agreed.

I got completely rid of my mouse problem by simply no longer putting out birdseed. They were gone in a flash. Of course that may not be applicable.
    My apologies to weasels.

I've heard tell that cutting up a bar of Irish Springs soap repels them. (shrug) maybe it works, maybe not, but it's a cheap thing to try.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Your best bet is remove food sources and water. But mice will find what they can to survive. I’d just get a cat if the dogs aren’t up to the job. The wife might not like the presents. But they are very effective.

This works to from experience

http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap/

I found sticky traps to be the most effective control w/o poison. It's kind of brutal, but the mice around here are too smart for the mechanical traps. They actually lick the bait off the trap w/o triggering it. If I find one stuck that's still alive, I dispatch quickly with a knife (off with his head).

We purchased some stuff at our local tractor supply company that is supposed to repel mice, Not poison. Supposedly safe for other animals as we have both dogs as well as chickens. ( that being said, if the chickens can find the mice, they take care of them quite readily!)

Just put it out the other day, haven't really seen if it's really worked or not yet.

A friend is a pro. In a house he says they always retreat to the attic, and to throw bait packs up there, and the dogs cannot get to them.
    Also, I believe most of the "poison" is actually anticoagulant and a body weight dose that will kill a mouse will not phase something bigger than a mouse.

There is a product called Rat X that uses corn gluten meal and salt to kill mice and rats. It’s supposed to cause rapid dehydration and kidney failure in rodents, while being safe and non-toxic to other animals. I’ve not used it yet, but I’ve seen good reviews.
    https://www.amazon.com/EcoClear-Prod...s%2C399&sr=8-3

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Also, I believe most of the "poison" is actually anticoagulant and a body weight dose that will kill a mouse will not phase something bigger than a mouse.
    They banned warfarin as rodent killer some years back. It’s now a neurotoxin… supposedly not as big of a deal for a larger animal, but still.

EDIT: looks like warfarin is still available, will have to dig a little more for my previous source.

We use this stuff in the RV and it works to drive mice away pretty well. It won’t kill them and does need reapplication monthly or so.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08WH...8-c2144ed87a56

But it smells good and that’s a bonus.

User Tag List