Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JM CK "Road Dog" Holster

JM CK "Road Dog" Holster

I was hunting around for a strong side carry option, and stumbled on this new "Road Dog" OWB from Tony:

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/Q-Road-Dog-Holster.html

"The QUICK SHIP ROAD DOG HOLSTER is an extremely minimal belt slide holster. Made to be as small of a belt line signature as possible and fit a multitude of different barrel length pistols of the same family. "

I am attracted to minimalist things, and the fact it's open means (I think) I can use either my P365X or P365XL with it. I do really like the concept though, and the fact Darryl is mentioned is a yuge plus for me. This would be for everyday carry, mostly.

It's just I've never had an open bottom holster before, any down sides to this?

My biggest worry would be sitting and catching the muzzle on an armrest. Although the same could be said about the grip, with any holster.

I used a Comp-Tac CTAC with an open bottom for a few years years in my early 20s, never had an issue with the muzzle sticking out but it was an IWB. It was pretty convenient when I switched from my issued G22 to my off-duty G27.

I recently caught a DCC Monoblock clip on an armrest and bent it out…maybe I need to step up the jogging?

I've been using open bottom holsters for a long time (i.e. Yaqui Slide), but I relegate their use (and my Road Dog) to range work only. I find them convenient when using with multiple guns with the same frame size, but not so much as a general purpose design.

I've had the gun routinely unseat itself due to contact from all sorts of things and a few times the gun hit the floor/ground. The natural inclination to grab a fumbled/falling gun is real, so keep that it mind should you decide to use one.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 08-03-2023 at 03:27 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    IMHO- The 21st century version of the Yaqui Slide. I have been in 2 different classes where student caught the exposed muzzle of gun on chair arm rest and pushed gun out onto a tile floor.

I would take a pass and simply buy the largest sized version of a holster series i.e. a G34 (or G17) holster and can therefore run a 26/19/17 ( and 34 if applicable) in it if needed.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Road Dog

I ordered a Road Dog last week from JMCK for my CZ P07 with a RDS on it…..will report when I’ve got some experience.

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    That's been around for a bit. Personally I wouldn't want an open muzzle. I really like the OWC Verson 1.

Thanks all. Appreciate all the input.

Whole I appreciate and understand the deficiencies of a yaqui slide holster, I just recieved my road dog revolver holster this week and for 2 or 2.5" wheel guns, it's a great OWB option.

As an aside the new AIWB holster I recieved from @Tony Mayer is the most comfortable AIWB holster I have recieved from any maker (sample size 1 revolver holster JMCK and over 10 auto AIWB holsters from multiple big names including JMCK)

Road Dog shown with 2" M15 and 2.5" M19 to show how much the barrel sticks out on the 2.5".
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Site Supporter
    I've used the Road Dog for a couple of years and also a Galco open bottom Matrix for ages. Both for EDC and matches (as I like my EDC for matches for 'realism' - LOL). They hold the guns well and I haven't had any sitting or dislodging problems. I do sometimes get a dirty mark on my pants. I like that I can carry any of my Glocks in one holster. IWB doesn't work for me and this does with a 26 to 17. The Galco (no long made and it had snaps which I found really convenient) worked also. Maybe I didn't fashion shut a snap a couple of times over many years. Same with a snap on one mag pouch. I did have problems with an IWB Blade Tech, (IIRC), being left handed, the side of the holster seemed to flex against the mag release and pop it quite a few times. Didn't happen with the OWB - my preferred mode.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 08-29-2023 at 11:16 AM.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Serious question :

Would it not take an almost imperceptible difference in time to simply grab a pistol in a holster that has rubber OWB snap/strap to throw over a belt?

I mean this is not how I would do this given the choice. Who would seriously were an empty holster all day? This concept does not add up for me personally.

User Tag List