Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting well vs being a good shooter

Site Supporter
    Also, no rehearsal of the course, just shoot it from an entry point, if we are in just a shooting run. With muzzle loaders - why not? Have robots that shoot back with airsoft or sims.

Best like that I ever did, coach gun, box of mixed slugs and bird shot, you wore a poncho sheet over your clothes to simulate being naked and just woken up. Target could get exposed at various distances.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Muzzle loaders.
    Taurus Curves.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

Shooting a heavy gun to a high level seems to have helped my shooting everything else. YMMV.
    An interesting observation, and one to which I am sympathetic. But rather than a heavy gun, it was a VP9 and its wonderful trigger that made me a better shooter. Now I shoot mostly glocks, but it was the VP9 that made be the shooter that I am today.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    DVC still matters, but “Vis” has always been “enough power to stop a fight” and today that's a 9mm.
    I've been greatly amused when we break out the Farnam Rotator at the end of class. Inevitably, there is someone or someones shooting absolute powder puff 9mm loads. If you rapidly hit a paddle with three shots and it barely moves, VIS has been completely removed from your repertoire.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

The open and welcoming attitude of the "shooting match" community is my favorite part about participating. I also like both developing my skill and seeing how I compare to other shooters. It's a lot harder to realize the value of skill development and comparison if the gun is "holding the shooter back". I also think it's easy and wrong to go to that as the reason instead of just putting in more quality practice time.

That said,

I shot a local .22 2-gun as a late teen. I had Ruger Single Six and a Marlin 60, and while I was nowhere near the competitive shooter-skill level, I was obviously getting absolutely destroyed on the reloads. Still had a great time.

I'd go to local steel plate .22 matches with my family, who would loan me their pistols. The steel plates were 10 target arrays with a mandatory reload. Dad's wacky Benelli free pistol was competitive, but there was never gonna be a lot of hope for the Ruger.

I switched from 1911 Single Stack pistols to Roland Glocks since the SCD, and I can tell you that while a Colt Delta can be either a crusty or a slick Single Stack pistol, a Roland Glock is a out-of-place Open gun, in a way that a G34 with a light, a grip plug, and a dot would be a totally vanilla totally fit for purpose Carry Optics gun.

I have always been excited by high-cap 1911 but never made the attempt to own one them until taking possession of Dad's old Para .45. Now it feels like the 2011 market has evolved into a 1911-doublestack world.

The question I've had to consider is do I put a lot of ammo and time into what I have now, or do I get something more suited to this thing that I'd like to participate in more? It's the more time dry firing in structured ways, it's time with the gun in hand, what if any- and why not a lot- are the differences between the match guns and the hunting-defensive-tactical-etc guns? I totally agree that weight is a big one, and I think the ability to conveniently "flex" the weight and size of a gun feels like a remarkable new feature of living in the future.

I've had the experience going into match environments and being really excited, and also realizing that while it's not that certain matches require only certain sorts of guns, it's that there's going to be clear genres of success. There's usually been some sort of funny misalignment between how I've been using my gun and the demands of match attendance. I will say that the dry fire emphasis that I picked up from going to matches has helped me stay in touch with this hobby during otherwise difficult times.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I've been greatly amused when we break out the Farnam Rotator at the end of class. Inevitably, there is someone or someones shooting absolute powder puff 9mm loads. If you rapidly hit a paddle with three shots and it barely moves, VIS has been completely removed from your repertoire.
    I borrowed a 229 in 357 Sig for the man on man shootoff on a rotator at a Farnam class. My goal was to keep it from rotating and my opponents goal was to rotate it. One WHACK! from the 357 at the right time would bring it to an abrupt halt! I’ve always liked that combo but never owned it.

Site Supporter
    Saw a beginner in a class with a 357 Sig - bought it for stopping power and couldn't control it. It was a Glock so the instructor lent the student a 9 and the student was back into the groove. I shot the Farnham gadget once, it was a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I guess I better bring some carry ammo to Cognitive Pistol.

Site Supporter
    I just shoot generic 9 mm - WWB, Blazer, etc. I don't reload as I am klutzy, the wife wouldn't approve of the set up, I would blow up and if I see a gun go down in a match, usually reloads. True I had my 1911 break after 15 years but reload screw ups, I see all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I guess I better bring some carry ammo to Cognitive Pistol.
    Duty ammo isn’t necessary if you can shoot. Standard pressure 147 gr Federal flat points moves them just fine. Would +P Gold Dots help - sure but not mandatory.

I just had someone in the Terre Haute class spin it handily with four rounds. It didn’t hurt that he was a Gunsite instructor running a 1911 in its intended caliber.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List