Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    BB thanks for the clarification.
    Sure. It's absolutely next level nanny state. See: https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-rele...R20220920.aspx

As a result of the investigation, the NTSB is recommendin​g measures leveraging new in-vehicle technologies that can limit or prohibit impaired drivers from operating their vehicles as well as technologies to prevent speeding. These include:

Requiring passive vehicle-integrated alcohol impairment detection systems, advanced driver monitoring systems or a combination of the two that would be capable of preventing or limiting vehicle operation if it detects driver impairment by alcohol. The NTSB recommends that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration require all new vehicles to be equipped with such systems.
    ​Incentivizing vehicle manufacturers and consumers to adopt intelligent speed adaptation systems that would prevent speed-related crashes. This is a reiteration of a previous NTSB recommendation to NHTSA.
    In 2022, the National Transportation Safety Board recommended to NHTSA that all new vehicles in the U.S. be equipped with alcohol monitoring systems that can stop an intoxicated person from driving.

NHTSA and a group of 16 automakers have been jointly funding research on alcohol monitoring, forming a group called Driver Alcohol Detection System for Safety.

The group is researching technology that would automatically test a driver’s breath for alcohol and stop a vehicle from moving if the driver is impaired. The driver wouldn’t have to blow into a tube, and a sensor would check the driver’s breath.

Another company is working on light technology that could test for blood alcohol in a person’s finger, the group has said.
    Note they also want to use in car cameras to monitor your eye movement and other signs of fatigue. All based on a computer in your car deciding if you're good to drive or not. No thanks.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Sure. It's absolutely next level nanny state. See: https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-rele...R20220920.aspx

Note they also want to use in car cameras to monitor your eye movement and other signs of fatigue. All based on a computer in your car deciding if you're good to drive or not. No thanks.
    My 1998 Cobra and 2005 4Runner are looking better and better each day….

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I'm more concerned about durability. I know the life span of a battery pack will be much lower than that of a traditional internal combustion engine. We just paid $200 to replace a battery in the significant other's vehicle. I can't imagine what it would cost to replace a battery pack, and I'm sure it's not user-level maintenance.

You make a good point about comparing the new LC to the legacy model. I wonder, however, what the gas mileage of the current model would be without the hybrid power system? I assume the new engine is more efficient than the old one. Reducing the overall weight by removing the battery pack couldn't hurt.
    Toyota hybrid battery packs can be reconditioned by enthusiasts and there are more and more 3rd party folks offering free lifetime warranties (e.g. Green Bean batteries). The price can run $3,000, but it only takes ~50,000 miles to recoup that in fuel savings vs the previous generation...

Now that I'm not driving a zillion miles a year, the problem I have with hybrid durability is that they really don't like to sit. For instance, Green Bean's lifetime warranty excludes:

The vehicle is stored for a period of thirty (30) days or more.
    The vehicle is driven less than 2,500 miles in a calendar year.

Toyota introduces the new 4Runner end of the day tomorrow. How fitting that it is a day after the total solar eclipse, since a new 4Runner happens about as often as a total eclipse.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...unter-details/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Toyota hybrid battery packs can be reconditioned by enthusiasts and there are more and more 3rd party folks offering free lifetime warranties (e.g. Green Bean batteries). The price can run $3,000, but it only takes ~50,000 miles to recoup that in fuel savings vs the previous generation...

Now that I'm not driving a zillion miles a year, the problem I have with hybrid durability is that they really don't like to sit. For instance, Green Bean's lifetime warranty excludes:
    That’s honestly a problem with a lot of batteries. Batteries like to be maintained at optimal charge and range. Especially for something that has to vary load.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Toyota introduces the new 4Runner end of the day tomorrow. How fitting that it is a day after the total solar eclipse, since a new 4Runner happens about as often as a total eclipse.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...unter-details/
    Reveal:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...nner-revealed/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am pretty unenthusiastic about enthusiasts fucking with batteries.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I am pretty unenthusiastic about enthusiasts fucking with batteries.
    It isn't that bad, especially once you break the high voltage pack down to individual cells. Messing with batteries is probably safer for someone with zero knowledge than someone with zero knowledge messing with gasoline and ignition.

Typical home enthusiast reconditioning a toyota hybrid battery:

Usually a newly bad pack will only need to replace a couple cell modules at $25-30/pop used. The pack in that video needed to replace 14 of the 28 modules (28 in a prius, the trucks/suvs have a few more modules) which is probably a sign the cells got way too hot. They're air cooled from cabin air so it probably came from a car that blocked the cooling vents with blankets or had long haired dogs and never cleaned the vents.

It isn't that bad,
    Oh, I see! Well, thank you very much for the information!
    Ignore Alien Orders

approved
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List