Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Like the old saying goes - “If you want to go into the bush, buy a Land Rover. If you want to come back out, buy a Land Cruiser!”
    During the Rhodesian Bush War, my friend who was a lieutenant in Grey’s Scouts carried a case of starters in his Land Rover. They rarely came back from an extended patrol without having to replace one.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I kinda dig it. I'm NOT chuffed about the powertrain, having found the hybrid in the Sienna van to be lackluster and loud. Not sure what this one will be like, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Jeep uses a sealed lithium ion battery that is cooled (and heated) by a liquid coolant system which should, in theory, be able to withstand submersion.

While heavier than lithium ion and less capable of rapid charging & discharging, Toyota's NiMH batteries can better withstand extreme temperatures so Toyota just uses a fan to blow cabin-temperature air over the batteries. While there is much less to go wrong, this also means if you get water in the cab, you'll get water in the batteries.

Some of the early highlander hybrids had problems with leaking sunroofs which sometimes resulted in battery corrosion. Likewise many prius and camry hybrid batteries fail after a poorly repaired rear end collision allowed rain intrusion. Generally these can be fixed by a skilled DIYer cleaning bus bars and replacing a couple bad cells for a few hundred dollars, but if you're a "take it to the dealer" type you can expect to pay $4,000+ for a new battery pack.
    I would think that the LC design would have incorporated a method to seal out water intrusion. Substantially different use then a commuter vehicle. The battery is in cabin but has anyone actually got pictures of it in the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I would think that the LC design would have incorporated a method to seal out water intrusion. Substantially different use then a commuter vehicle. The battery is in cabin but has anyone actually got pictures of it in the wild?
    That's a good point. Looking at the Tundra hybrid's battery specs, Toyota says:

288V sealed Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) battery *with 1.87 kWh capacity
    For the Toyota Crown they say:
    230.4V Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH)
    I haven't seen any close up pictures of the Tundra battery yet.

Edit: this video shows a cutaway and describes it as cabin air-cooled vs the F150's liquid cooled:

Last edited by 0ddl0t; 08-06-2023 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    It looks like it's right where a third row would be, hence no third row. One of the videos I saw commented on the high load height of the back area and showed a storage bin and I think it's right behind it.

You can sort of see it at 14 minutes here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp5coc9exZg

I'm not thrilled about the drivetrain but they are saying 27mpg so far. Compared to 17mpg for the GX...

I see lots of Land Cruisers, as well as Tacomas and Tundras around where I am at. Many decked out with roof tents, various pieces of "overlanding" gear. 90+% of them are pristine. I wish my rig had a few less scratches on it, but it sees use year round and has gone through more sagebrush than I want to think about. Not to mention been buried to the frame in mud more than a few times.

Eventually I am going to have to do some major upkeep on it, but for now, I will just keep on driving in the slow lane and remember to bring an extra shovel..

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Pin stripes and small dents on 4x4s are like holster wear and receiver scratches on guns - a sign the owner is using it as intended.

Only adds to the beauty!

Something for you old Cruiser fans.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My first car was a Jeep; YJ, 1992 or 1993 (whatever the first year of the "new" roll bar design, with the rear legs). Loved that car. Grew up in a Jeep family; ever since the unibody Cherokee came out in the early 1980s we've always had at least one Jeep in the family if not 2 or 3. Everything from Wranglers to Grand Wagoneers in the late 80s/early 90s; my dad drove his final year version (IIRC it came in a special color) until it eventually just became too much of a pain in the ass to keep going over 120k miles...it was also the last factory carbureted car sold in the US...anyway.

I've gone through 3 Wranglers; a couple 4wd pickups, a few Subarus, and currently am in a 2022 Toyota 4Runner - and I wish I had just gotten a 4Runner back in the 1990s...it probably would have saved me a lot of bullshit. This thing is great.

I don't really "offroad" though I do live in rural farmland area so half the roads I drive on are unimproved/dirt/farm roads; rocks, mud, washboard, and cowshit. The last normal car I had was a Subaru Legacy and I would constantly scrape the bottom on random rocks, so an elevated platform is kind of necessary.

I'm really hoping the new LC isn't all that great, because right now it's about the only thing I could conceivably think about trading the 4Runner in for. I've low key wanted a Land Cruiser since college in the mid-1990s; a professor had one. I thought it was kind of stodgy...until I saw the controls for the locking diffs and all the other off-road goodies. Again, not that I go rock crawling, but...it's nice to be able to.

Also nice to go for a drive and not hear/feel creak whistle creak wobble wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind everywhere...with all the windows closed, at that. I swear my last Jeep was noisier than a bar during happy hour. The Toyota is an abandoned library of quietness in comparison. I'm tickling 50 now; I've gotten to the point where a luxury feature in a new car is quiet. I'll take that over Apple Carplay/Android Auto integration, any day.

Man I hope Toyota simultaneously makes the new LC awesome, and makes it horrible...I don't want to find a reason to trade in my 4Runner...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post

Man I hope Toyota simultaneously makes the new LC awesome, and makes it horrible...I don't want to find a reason to trade in my 4Runner...
    My wife bought a 2002 Toyota Highlander new right off the truck. She drove it 250,000 miles and wanted to keep driving it but it needed some expensive work on the brakes that would exceed the worth of the car. A few years later, she wishes she'd taken it to an off road shop or somewhere and just spent the money. She's driving a 2019 Highlander now but doesn't like it quite as much as the 2002.

User Tag List