Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Sure. It's absolutely next level nanny state. See: https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-rele...R20220920.aspx

Note they also want to use in car cameras to monitor your eye movement and other signs of fatigue. All based on a computer in your car deciding if you're good to drive or not. No thanks.
    I'm all for it. Between the aged, half-blind, drunk, high, incompetent, uninsured, unlicensed, and distracted drivers here, I dodge two to three accidents every single day. None of them will regulate their own behavior, so let their car do it for them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Another option:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...s-gx550-drive/

The imbedded video is pretty good. The humor of its location as the Scottsdale/Carefree horse country is subtle.
    Last edited by Trigger; 04-10-2024 at 07:58 AM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Oh, I see! Well, thank you very much for the information!
    Aren't batteries and related tech like your whole wheelhouse or something...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Aren't batteries and related tech like your whole wheelhouse or something...
    Yeah, but he watched a YouTube video!
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Note they also want to use in car cameras to monitor your eye movement and other signs of fatigue. All based on a computer in your car deciding if you're good to drive or not. No thanks.
    We just got a 2023 Transit Connect that is a cargo configuration, so it ostensibly a commercial vehicle, and occasionally it pops up a notice something like Rest Recommended. Has yet to ever do it when I was tired...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    We just got a 2023 Transit Connect that is a cargo configuration, so it ostensibly a commercial vehicle, and occasionally it pops up a notice something like Rest Recommended. Has yet to ever do it when I was tired...
    My 2020 Ranger has the same system. According to Ford, it bases the "alertness" warnings on what the camera above the mirror sees the vehicle doing in relation to the lane markings. I imagine it uses steering wheel inputs too because another nanny-system nags at me to keep my hands on the wheel when I'm driving dead straight and don't have a death grip on the wheel.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    It bases the "alertness" warnings on what the camera above the mirror sees the vehicle doing in relation to the lane markings.
    Hmmmm, come to think about it, I do not remember getting that warning since (during about the fifth week of ownership) I backed into a pole and crunched the left rear sensor...

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Another option:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...s-gx550-drive/

The imbedded video is pretty good. The humor of its location as the Scottsdale/Carefree horse country is subtle.
    That is an interesting option. The trade-off seems to be lower gas mileage (17 MPG) with a non-hybrid, more traditional power plant, versus a hybrid engine with 23 mpg and unknown, durability and reliability?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is an interesting option. The trade-off seems to be lower gas mileage (17 MPG) with a non-hybrid, more traditional power plant, versus a hybrid engine with 23 mpg and unknown, durability and reliability?
    I don't know too much about passenger applications, but I will point out that the uber drivers I've talked to love the Prius. A hybrid pulls a ton of work off the ICE plant, giving all of the heavy torque loading to the battery, which makes the whole system last longer (apparently). That does match up with what my customers in the transit bus market say about their historical hybrids (though they're very dismissive of hybrids, considering it time wasted on the way to an inevitable ZEV transition).
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List