Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I hate that chart. Made by bureaucrats (idiots) who have no clue about thermodynamics, efficiency or dynamics. Just pass a rule to defy reality.
    The fact that most believe in Modern Monetary Theory and deny Natural Rights proves that they live in a fantasy universe.

The irony here is that despite this effort on the part of Toyota, this vehicle will not be legal for sale in Kalifornia in 2035 (unless a exception is made or the drive train becomes all electric).

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Here's my entry for coolest Toyota ever made:

Attachment 107951

Okie John
    I had an 83 Model when I served in the Navy. Took it for duty in Newfoundland. With Warn 8000 winch it was unstoppable. Miss the in-line 6 cylinder. heavy sigh….

I am hoping the Land Cruiser does not feel under powered like the 4 Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Here is the table published in the final rule from USDOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I hate that chart. Made by bureaucrats (idiots) who have no clue about thermodynamics, efficiency or dynamics. Just pass a rule to defy reality.
    CAFE mpg isn't the EPA mpg you see on the window sticker.

CAFE mpg is a 55% weighting of the FTP-75 drive cycle (which was based on an EPA engineer's stop & go drive in downtown Los Angeles in 1972):

...and a 45% weighting of the HWfet drive cycle (which was based on an EPA engineer's back road drive in 1975 under the 55mph national speed limit):

It may be hard to tell from the graphs, but not only are the speeds low, the rate of acceleration is downright glacial (roughly equivalent to a 20 second 0-60). These tests are also done on a dyno with air conditioning off and with ~70 degree atmospheric temperatures.

As you might imagine, few Americans today drive like an EPA engineer in 1975 so the EPA has updated its procedures over time to better reflect the real world reality.

In the 1980s, they simply multiplied the above mpg by something like 80% to match what 1980s drivers were getting (on 55mph roads).

In the 2000s the EPA changed the window sticker methodology again to reflect higher speed driving in the wake of the 55mph speed limit's demise.

Around 2010, the EPA changed window sticker methodology again because Toyota and Ford hybrids were getting much worse numbers in the real world than on the 70 degree dyno. The tests now added a cold-weather cycle and used air conditioning on the warm weather cycle - both of which disproportionately affect hybrid's mpg.

CAFE mpg, on the other hand, remained rooted in 1975. All told, a 40mpg CAFE rating for a pickup is somewhere around 28mpg window sticker mpg. And then there are the byzantine incentives that allow an automaker to meet CAFE standards without actually meeting CAFE mpg. Union lobbyists gave american-assembled vehicles a credit. Detroit lobbyists added a formula that allows vehicles with a larger "footprint" (length & width) to meet lower numbers.

Perversely, this "footprint" rule killed most small, economical cars & pickups (which were disproportionately imports):

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    The Lexus GX550 appears to be essentially the same rig but with the 3.4L V6 instead of this new 4-banger.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...es-comparison/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 08-02-2023 at 02:07 PM.

It has modest horsepower and excellent torque -- not sure what this means in performance?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

True. It depends on if you want off-road low-end torque or highway passing speed.

4 banger, in a LC, not
    heard they were doing retro, guess not

326/465? About as much twist as a Ford 7.3 diesel with 100 more hp

my v10 f 250 was 315/425 yes I know torque curve is most important but it would tow 10K with ease

4 runner suffers from a balky transmission and a bit underpowered.. (although very reliable)

My guess is the cruiser will be quite adequate.....

Looks like an older 4Runner slept with an FJ Cruiser.

Hybrid

Turbo

Meh

User Tag List