Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stolen M4 Carbine

Site Supporter
    Can I ask who is responsible if that gun is used in a crime despite if it came from an officer of the law or a civilian. I was always taught forearms should be secured or I am responsible. Shit happens. And in some areas you need to leave a gun in your personally owned vehicle. Hopefully secured. A unmarked vehicle like that is pretty dam stupid to leave in a driveway with a gun in view. I don’t care if their are cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If I recall correctly someone mentioned those long guns (M-16/MP-5) were not authorized for “take home” and had to be checked out from the office at the start of the day and returned at the end of the day.
    The impression that I got was that this was the end of the Cocaine Wars and things were more liberal and long guns were checked out for longer time periods. I was told that the armory had more than enough long guns on hand, you just had to ask for them and take responsibility. Besides the M-16 and the MP-5, there were four 870's in the field as well. I don't see six out of 14 agents running in to get long guns that morning, especially since this was the third time the op was run and it was recognized as a "hail Mary." The only counterfactual I can offer is that McNeil's 870 was in a case and UNLOADED on his back seat. I was told that the rifle rated armor (one set on detail) was under similar guidelines - you could check it out but you were responsible for it.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

My G ride was broken into in my driveway. For YEARS, I parked inside my garage with no issues. then my wife wanted some new shelving for the Garage, and then meant pulling everything off the wall, pilling it in the floor of the garage, and doing a little construction. The FIRST night my G ride has been in the driveway in 10 years, and some assholes break into it.

Fortunately, they did not get any guns, as they were in the house. My body armor and raid jacket were in the lock box, so they did not get that. My had held Motarola radio was in my console cup holder, they grabbed it, but left on the floorboard. Thank GOD. If you dont know, a hand held radio like that runs about $5000.00, which I would have been on the hook for.

All they stole was my armorers tool bags. Nothing they would have used, but several sight pushers, spare parts, night sights, castle nut wrench, barrel wrench, punches, sig P series tool, torque driver, etc. Probably 600-700 in tools. Neighbor a couple houses down found them tossed in their bushes. guys had dumped them and did not find guns or anything they understood, so they left them hidden under the bush. Of Course, between the law sprinklers and rain, everything was rusted to hell.

Anyway, "your car is not a holster", and FK thieves.

Oh, one co worker had his rifle stolen from a G ride. He got 2 weeks on the beach an they deducted the cost of the rifle from his pay.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Oh, one co worker had his rifle stolen from a G ride. He got 2 weeks on the beach an they deducted the cost of the rifle from his pay.
    I'm assuming he wasn't storing it within policy, which is the catch...
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

A number of years ago, a LE agency was training at my local range and someone left a select-fire MP5 leaning against the wall in the range shack. Fortunately the guy who found it was a Good Samaritan and made some calls.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    A number of years ago, a LE agency was training at my local range and someone left a select-fire MP5 leaning against the wall in the range shack. Fortunately the guy who found it was a Good Samaritan and made some calls.
    I hope the good samaritan realized that subgun was worth at least a case of beer in return

Used to be that before LEOSA, NYPD guys getting pulled over in NJ with their sidearm on them would "bribe" the Jersey City and Bayonne cops with a 6 pack kept conveniently in the back seat for each indiscretion of traveling through NJ in between Staten Island and Manhattan while armed. All in good natured fun, of course.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I hope the good samaritan realized that subgun was worth at least a case of beer in return

Used to be that before LEOSA, NYPD guys getting pulled over in NJ with their sidearm on them would "bribe" the Jersey City and Bayonne cops with a 6 pack kept conveniently in the back seat for each indiscretion of traveling through NJ in between Staten Island and Manhattan while armed. All in good natured fun, of course.
    Sadly not. Like the time a LE guy NDed a bullet in the air, ending up in the windshield of a RV parked a mile away, the response was "This never happened."
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    No details were provided to me, but an officer at my former agency went rolling out with his soft-cased AR-15 either on his trunk or in a stuffed trunk that popped open. I believe he, or another officer, found it on the road after it had been run over who knows how many times.

I left a laptop hanging on my mirror one morning while doing an equipment load out. Fortunately my first stop was the county garage about 4 blocks away. The garage supervisor asked me if I always carried my laptop hanging on my mirror. I don't think I would have left a long gun hanging on my mirror though. I was never issued one anyway so no worries there. I wasn't LE.

Occasionally someone in my work unit would find a handgun on the side of the road. Probably tossed in a chase.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    No details were provided to me, but an officer at my former agency went rolling out with his soft-cased AR-15 either on his trunk or in a stuffed trunk that popped open. I believe he, or another officer, found it on the road after it had been run over who knows how many times.
    I recall a post like that on the old 10-8 forums. Dude saw it in the mirror right before it fell from the trunk and the semi behind home ran over it. The pic he posted showed it in a hundred pieces. But the oblong shaped Aimpoint still worked. Lol!

User Tag List