Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand Length to Gun Fit: A Case Study: Analysis and Conclusion (Part 3)

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I know at one time the average height in USA was 5’10. If youve been to developing countries you see the height change dramatically with generations. Maybe the avg height here has changed. Or perhaps its the professions/hobbies on PF lend their selfs to occupations where size is a plus (military/LE/outdoorsmen/hunters)
    This is a pretty broad generalization and may have absolutely no merit. Its the first thing that came to mind.
    Welp, eh I dunno. The only anthropometric source data I'm reasonably familiar with is MIL-STD-1472D. Table XIII on page 131 defines item 1. "stature", and lists 5% centile male ground troops at 64.1", and 95% centile of the same group at 73.1". The midpoint (average?) between those numbers is 68.6", or almost 5'9"...

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    So as a thought experiment, I moved four of the top hand size values out of the "study" population counts. A portion of the Hand Size data table is below with how that looks:

Attachment 108249

To me what's interesting is that now, the study population and the MIL-STD-1472D population are MUCH closer matched in terms of the 95% centile subjects. I take this to mean the new subset (22 vs. 26) of data more closely resembles gen pop 5 to 95% centile.

Now let's go look at the new metrics, using this data:

Attachment 108250

I think I can convince myself that the Hand Sizes with this new assumption better reflects typical US Glove Size sales, in that now we are talking 27% are Size L (45% if you lump in M/L), and only 9% are M. I am going to continue to ponder this but I think this makes more sense to me than what I had. Even so, we do seem to have a lot of folks with large hands on this forum.

If anyone is wondering why the grip size percentage changes, it's that the Study Spreadsheet is all computationally driven now, so it recalculates every cell as anything changes. Assumptions remain the same, but all the linear interpolations are automatically regenerated.
    Discarded again. Story of my life man.

I suspect there are sociological reasons US male participants self-report larger hand sizes than you would expect

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Discarded again. Story of my life man.
    Naw man! Think of it as ‘Exceeding Expectations”!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Naw man! Think of it as ‘Exceeding Expectations”!
    Exceeding expectations really blows in the appreciating subcompact semi double stack 9mm pistol shooting at speed department though. They are too small for me to get a good solid decent draw grip consistently. My times suck compared to compact pistols.

It also sucks in “One Size Fits All” glove concept. For me it’s more like “One Size Fits None.”

I just need some time in a safe space to sort out these discarded feelings.

Self reporting accurate in this case.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here are a video and article on fitting a competition gun to your hand:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/blog/g...-hands-part-2/
    TLDR:
    • A common problem is people choosing a grip that is too small for their hands
    • The meaty part of your support hand palm should make contact with the grip
    • You could be able to comfortably reach the trigger, in DA mode if applicable
    • It is ok to have to shift your grip to reach the slide stop and magazine release
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here are a video and article on fitting a competition gun to your hand:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/blog/g...-hands-part-2/
    TLDR:
    • A common problem is people choosing a grip that is too small for their hands
    • The meaty part of your support hand palm should make contact with the grip
    • You could be able to comfortably reach the trigger, in DA mode if applicable
    • It is ok to have to shift your grip to reach the slide stop and magazine release
    “When the gun is too small to effectively shoot it, it will slow down your shooting.”

Exactly what I have discovered, real life, PACT timed, having extra long hands. I feel much more confident carrying a compact pistol with the largest grip like my PX4CC, G19.5 or S&W M&P 2.0 compact. These threads have really clarified my general experience based knowledge. Thank you @RJ!

Thought it might be interesting to take a look through the Grip data by groups. As of today, there are 63 grip samples in the table. I'll post them in groups by size, starting with XS:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-08-12 05-38-20.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  38.5 KB

"Category" is my attempt to use traditional size/type descriptions. Guns are assumed stock unless otherwise indicated. I took some liberties with the descriptions provided to fit the data onto one line if at all possible. "BS" = "Backstrap".
    Last edited by RJ; 08-12-2023 at 04:56 AM.

Small:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-08-12 05-39-42.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  8.6 KB

Medium:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-08-12 05-40-50.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  23.0 KB

User Tag List