Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry impact tools?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    ...The ASP Key Defender pepper spray doubles as an impact tool. I do not attach keys to mine. If you do, the quick release key ring is the best way to do so...
    For those who tuck these AIWB, trim ~1/16" off the plastic nozzle tip of the canister. As-manufactured, the tip is long enough to activate enough to leak at times. This leads to one having OC drool down their dick. I can say with certainty that effectively spraying your package is no fun, particularly while driving. On the same topic, the larger Street Defender can awkwardly print in the crotch thanks to its length and girth so try one on before heading out. The Street Defender also has a rougher surface which chews through pants faster than the slicker Key or Palm Defender.

That said, the Key Defender will still eventually eat pants. I wear a new pair until the fabric starts to show the "hotspot" and then have my better half sew a patch of whatever scrap fabric is handy over that on the inside as an abrasion guard. Usually cut from jeans a kid outgrew or tore up beyond repair.

And seconding the quick release. Just remember to loctite the little index pin. It is threaded in and can come loose. In addition to making for a more secure yet quickly detachable key mount, it makes the unit ride more securely IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Reading that explanation made me think of this:

Attachment 107984
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    For those who tuck these AIWB, trim ~1/16" off the plastic nozzle tip of the canister. As-manufactured, the tip is long enough to activate enough to leak at times. This leads to one having OC drool down their dick. I can say with certainty that effectively spraying your package is no fun, particularly while driving. On the same topic, the larger Street Defender can awkwardly print in the crotch thanks to its length and girth so try one on before heading out. The Street Defender also has a rougher surface which chews through pants faster than the slicker Key or Palm Defender.

That said, the Key Defender will still eventually eat pants. I wear a new pair until the fabric starts to show the "hotspot" and then have my better half sew a patch of whatever scrap fabric is handy over that on the inside as an abrasion guard. Usually cut from jeans a kid outgrew or tore up beyond repair.

And seconding the quick release. Just remember to loctite the little index pin. It is threaded in and can come loose. In addition to making for a more secure yet quickly detachable key mount, it makes the unit ride more securely IWB.
    Man, that honestly seems like a lot of work.

If you got through that much effort, you should opt for the Tear Gas Billy Club, like they used to have in Alcatraz...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    ...Man, that honestly seems like a lot of work...
    No worse than carrying a gun in the first place. Or even conventional OC canisters that need the top collar assembly glued/epoxied to prevent spinning and a match stick taped under the nozzle for an index reference. And my dream is a normal OC canister with a steel yawara ball on the bottom like used to be made for teargas as noted in Fundamentals of Moderm Police Impact Weapons. @Mas should lobby Fox to address this hole in the market.

No worse than carrying a gun in the first place. Or even conventional OC canisters that need the top collar assembly glued/epoxied to prevent spinning and a match stick taped under the nozzle for an index reference. And my dream is a normal OC canister with a steel yawara ball on the bottom like used to be made for teargas as noted in Fundamentals of Moderm Police Impact Weapons. @Mas should lobby Fox to address this hole in the market.
    Pom has an indexing notch and the friction fit between the bottom of the canister is sufficiently tight that I have not had one loosen up after two years of daily carry. I often rotate the clip around if I move it from left to right pockets. https://pompepperspray.com/products/pom-clip-model

No, you can't really hit someone with it, but the thing is so slim and compact, I can carry it and a flat sap simultaneously.

Site Supporter

BTDT. Twice, two separate devices, one in uniform.

pat

OC canister with a steel yawara ball on the bottom like used to be made for teargas as noted in Fundamentals of Moderm Police Impact Weapons. @Mas should lobby Fox to address this hole in the market.
    I've seen small OC sprays made with spike attachments, the one I saw was discontinued but here's a similar one.
    https://www.divasfordefense.com/prod...39552843120709

I'm more in the OC and flashlight crowd myself but I just finished a magnifying glass project.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    A Boston Leather Midget gets carried 3 different ways depending on the pants worn.

5.11 pants with the goofy skinny front pocket.
    Attachment 107872Attachment 107873

LAPG pants with the front slit pockets.
    Attachment 107874Attachment 107875

All other pants using back pockets and Jackdog/Claude Werner plastic and duct tape holster
    Attachment 107876Attachment 107877

Gringop
    Can you tell me the particulars about the pants with the elastic waist bands? And how does the sizing match up to other types of pants. Are the front pockets deep enough for a J-Frame? I've been wearing Duluth Fire Hose Flex and when I order the same size of something else it doesn't fit. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Can you tell me the particulars about the pants with the elastic waist bands? And how does the sizing match up to other types of pants. Are the front pockets deep enough for a J-Frame? I've been wearing Duluth Fire Hose Flex and when I order the same size of something else it doesn't fit. Thanks.
    I presume you are talking about the tan LA Police Gear Operator shorts. I carry a J-frame with a pocket holster in the front pocket 24/7. Back pockets are pretty small, kinda useless for me. Normally I carry nothing in them, may stick some tools in them if I'm working on something. Both shorts and pants have ginormous cargo pockets that I love. I can fit wallet, sunglasses and my too big cell phone in one side and all kinds of crap in the other.

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-operator-short.html

The LA Police Gear Operator Pants are set up the same way except they are...pants. I cut the blousing strings off, no use for them. LAPG is always running some kind of closeout or discount on them. For sizing they seem kind of normal. My Duluth Fire Hose Flex are 38 waist but LAPG are a 40. The LAPGs don't stretch as much as Duluth. Inseams are both 36.

"Leon is getting larger."

If, however, you were talking about the Blue 511 shorts, they are original 5.11 9" Cotton Canvas Shorts. Giant front and back pockets, tiny cargo pockets. Same waist sizing as LAPG. I don't buy them anymore due to the tiny cargo pockets and my latest phone being twice the size of the previous one.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Has anyone rigged up a carry system to allow Clinch Pick-style carry of a midget-size sap? I'm puzzling through how I might be able to do with with some combo of kydex and/or inner-tube, but I would be very happy if someone has it figured out.

User Tag List