Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry impact tools?

Not particularly relevant but some may find entertaining.

I don't carry mine anymore.

Used to carry it overseas where the intention was to use it in environments where it was preferred over throwing shots. Protection details, tight quarters, etc. You can see mine tucked under my left armpit in my rig, for a right hand draw.

I think I have told this episode before, but the short version is, we had a guy following us told multiple sites. We set up a hasty ambush and jumped him when he came across a bridge and stopped him. I was joking around in the pic with my guys giving an impromptu verbal lecture in the application of the sap, while the terp spoke to him. Ends up the guy wasn't a bad guy (as far as we know). He was wanting a job. Or so he said. We had an excellent and very trustworthy terp, so I trusted his judgment.

No Iraqis were harmed in the making of these pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    And I make training saps if anyone interested…
    These look really cool. And... a quick reminder that forum policy requires membership for selling stuff...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    These look really cool. And... a quick reminder that forum policy requires membership for selling stuff...
    Sorry. My mistake. I have corrected it. And I am now a site supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    Sorry. My mistake. I have corrected it. And I am now a site supporter.
    Awesome! Thanks for supporting PF.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLock View Post
    Guys that carry them do you go by the same doctrine as guns and knives?

I see a lot of pocket tools attached to key rings or dropped in pockets on instagram.

I've had no training in impact weapons but what works in terms of IFWA during a FUT?
    I treat saps/jacks the same way I treat OC Spray. It’s a proactive tool. Meaning I want it in my hand before no need to use it. I don’t want to have to IFWA it.

I teach 3 levels of striking. Level 1 is arms, legs and buttocks; Level 2 is strikes to the body below the collar body;
    level 3
    Is strikes above the collar bone to the neck, face, and head. Level 3 strikes are deadly force strikes

I just carry a flashlight in the right zippered pocket of my Duluth Foreman's pants. This one is a Malkoff M91T head with high/low switch on a MD4 body with Tripcap ( 2x 18650 cells). I also have it set up with a Photon Harmonic Balancer, which improves "throw" -

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

One way I like to setup my jacks and saps is with a length of paracord and an o-ring. Here is my asymmetrical Jack Cutting sap (he designed this for me, it is now a production model called the Kopis), in my right front pocket. My shorts are fairly thin material, so you can see the vague outline.

Name:  IMG_1494.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  46.1 KB

To draw this I have o-ring in my paracord leash:

Name:  IMG_1495.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  38.0 KB

Middle or ring finger into the o-ring:

Name:  IMG_1496.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  34.5 KB

Rotate around and put the paracord in the outside of the knuckles:

Name:  IMG_1497.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  31.2 KB

Tug it out:

Name:  IMG_1498.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  27.5 KB

Boom, into the hand:

Name:  IMG_1499.jpg
Size:  37.8 KB

--

I leave myself enough slack and the o-ring stretches as well. I want the slack to be able to choke up for short chops, jabs, or punches:

Name:  IMG_0423.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  31.4 KB

Or I can slide back and go for long chops or flat slaps and use the power of leverage and weight.

Name:  IMG_0424.jpg
Size:  33.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    One way I like to setup my jacks and saps is with a length of paracord and an o-ring. Here is my asymmetrical Jack Cutting sap (he designed this for me, it is now a production model called the Kopis), in my right front pocket. My shorts are fairly thin material, so you can see the vague outline.

Name:  IMG_1494.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  46.1 KB

To draw this I have o-ring in my paracord leash:

Name:  IMG_1495.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  38.0 KB

Middle or ring finger into the o-ring:

Name:  IMG_1496.jpg
Size:  34.5 KB

Rotate around and put the paracord in the outside of the knuckles:

Name:  IMG_1497.jpg
Size:  31.2 KB

Tug it out:

Name:  IMG_1498.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  27.5 KB

Boom, into the hand:

Name:  IMG_1499.jpg
Size:  37.8 KB

--

I leave myself enough slack and the o-ring stretches as well. I want the slack to be able to choke up for short chops, jabs, or punches:

Name:  IMG_0423.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  31.4 KB

Or I can slide back and go for long chops or flat slaps and use the power of leverage and weight.

Name:  IMG_0424.jpg
Size:  33.2 KB
    Reading that explanation made me think of this:

Name:  blazing-saddles-whip-this-out.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  17.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    One way I like to setup my jacks and saps is with a length of paracord and an o-ring.
    An O-ring works really well for retrieving/extracting an EDC tool from a pocket, as well as providing retention. Also works well for pulling a tool from a belt carrier. FWIW, I've found the #216 O-ring to be a good size for this use.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    I do not generally carry a dedicated impact tool on a regular basis. However, a Malkoff Bodyguard V2 with the body which has a full tailcap shroud makes a far better impact weapon than any of the lights with crenelated bezels. The lens and tailcap are both well protected. There are no features or markings which would mark it as a potential weapon at a security checkpoint. It really is just a flashlight.

The ASP Key Defender pepper spray doubles as an impact tool. I do not attach keys to mine. If you do, the quick release key ring is the best way to do so.

I also like the Cold Steel Koga SD2.

While I am fortunate enough not to need a cane in a regular basis, the osteoarthritis in one of my knees flared up badly last summer, causing me to need a cane until I could get a Cortisone injection followed by physical therapy. My cane is a Cold Steel City Stick. I would not bother carrying a cane at a time when I don’t actually need it, since I am much more confident in my ability to look like I am not prey without a cane. If a cane is needed, there is no reason not to make it a good one.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 08-03-2023 at 08:49 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List