Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixed Blade Knife for Carry in Shorts

One of the best parts about sub-rural living is my 1.25 acres is big enough that I never “have to” walk our dogs.

One of the worst things is all the bumbfuck toothless dipshits that can't keep their dogs contained, and the inordinate number if dioshits that seem to prefer horepse-sized dogs. Wife was bitten a few years back and when she called ACC and they took the report they told her the dog’s name was “precious” no shit. Daughter got attacked (still some debate as to whether or not bitten based on wounds) and knocked off her bike. Lady of the house actually got mad at wife and kids for riding past house (”oh, he just doesn't like bikes”) neighbor’s 200+ lbs Cane Corso got over his fence and into our yard, with my kids and two of their friends terrified hiding on the trampoline (only time I was happy to have that stupid screen around the trampoline). To this day I regret not putting a load of buckshot in that dog but didn't want to send the friends home traumatized.

So when we are out in the neighborhood, I have a gun. And I am equally concerned about the resultant confrontation with the dog’s owner after a potential dusting as I am about the dog itself, so I choose my caliber and capacity accordingly. We also have a txball bat that raised withnusmimnthengolf cart when we are out for rides.

Every repeat walker I see in outpr neighborhood has either a “walking stick”, golf club, or fanny pack. If I couldn't take the gun I would damn sure have a walking stick.

Fuck a knife.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    DSG sheath order. Next month or two, I’ll order the knife.

I got a pocket stabby from Totem that has me something stabby but want something with better access and more stabby.

Walking a lot and I encounter a good number of 100 lb woman with 100 lb dogs who for some reason react poorly “it’s your beard but they are a sweetheart and never would bite.” Sorry I don’t believe you.
    I have a scar on my leg from such dog. I was hugging a friend who was home visiting her parents. The dog didnt know we were friends and didnt welcome my hug. The dog charged and I was bit. My friend felt awful but I told her that he was simply protecting her and I was in his space hugging his person. I did wait until she got him put up to continue our visit.
    I would suggest a can of POM for dogs. If the POM doesnt work its time to let the J frame shine. I am pretty sure anytime its justified to stab a dog it would be justified to shoot one if your life is in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I knew a guy who made hiking staffs. Unlike the fairy baton REI types, you could do battle with them.
    I have an Irish blackthorn, the real thing, and it didn't work against the smallish Pit that attacked my dog, and I was whaling on it. I should have skewered it instead of cracking it across the spine repeatedly. (I couldn't get to the head because my dog's head was adjacent.)

That stick would make a human cry if you whacked him across the shin or joints, but the dog gave not a shit. Though I know it felt it for days afterward.

The stick I carry now was a gift from a friend in TX years ago. It's from a company which was called Mendowood.

It looks like a blackthorn but it's a steel pipe with a wood dowel inside of it...epoxied over and painted to look like a Blackwood stick with a beautiful madrone burl wooden head.

If that sucker hits you, you stay hit. That's what I take with me now. I hope I don't have to use it, but I will not hesitate one bit to use it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have an Irish blackthorn, the real thing, and it didn't work against the smallish Pit that attacked my dog, and I was whaling on it. I should have skewered it instead of cracking it across the spine repeatedly. (I couldn't get to the head because my dog's head was adjacent.)

That stick would make a human cry if you whacked him across the shin or joints, but the dog gave not a shit. Though I know it felt it for days afterward.

The stick I carry now was a gift from a friend in TX years ago. It's from a company which was called Mendowood.

It looks like a blackthorn but it's a steel pipe with a wood dowel inside of it...epoxied over and painted to look like a Blackwood stick with a beautiful madrone burl wooden head.

If that sucker hits you, you stay hit. That's what I take with me now. I hope I don't have to use it, but I will not hesitate one bit to use it.
    Dang, now I want one. Apparently no longer in business.

Here's a picture of it, @BobM

It's heavy, but you don't want to be in its path.

Name:  IMG-1207.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  63.7 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I knew a guy who made hiking staffs. Unlike the fairy baton REI types, you could do battle with them.
    "No, I'm not carrying a bo staff around NYC, officer. That's my fairy baton.

I was attacked as a teen by 2 Golden Retrievers. I was fortunate a fallen tree branch was handy, so I picked it up and ordered the dogs off.

One clearly got the message (the one trying to flank me), but the other did not. It took a baseball swing to the side of the head to convince him. I was lucky that swing worked, because the stick broke.

As a young man, I adopted a small female Pit with a bad past. Always had problems with my then girlfriend walking her around other dogs, because to "discourage" and get her to turn away, you would literally have to clonk her head pretty hard with a knee or shin. Even then, it was more just a reset than anything causing real discomfort.

So, I think there are 3 types of dogs/dog attacks. On the third, if I can't escape, I assume it's gonna look like wrasslin', trying to control the head and maybe even feeding the thing one arm while I try to make it run out of oxygen or blood. Not a fun thing, but I just don't trust impact to do it. I've seen too many Pits and Rottweilers that can knock open fully closed doors with their heads.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Here's a picture of it, @BobM

It's heavy, but you don't want to be in its path.

Name:  IMG-1207.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  63.7 KB

Very nice. I have a blackthorn stick my wife got me for Christmas a few years ago. My daughter got me a mini iPad that year. I told them the gifts were from the complete opposite ends of the technology spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    "No, I'm not carrying a bo staff around NYC, officer. That's my fairy baton.
    My wife has telescoping hiking sticks, and I don't think they would last any longer than the tree branch you used.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."

This caused me to have a non-acid flashback to F.W. Mann's book "The Bullet's Flight," wherein he described a portable, adjustable shooting rest that doubled as a walking stick, a "fence wire separator" (to make a taller gap to pass through a barbed-wire fence), and beater of unpleasant things that might need the living hell beaten out of them. It was essentially an iron rod with a point for driving into the ground and a "handle/barrel rest" that traveled the length of the rod, adjustable via a thumbscrew.

It seemed like an eminently civilized and clever multipurpose shooting accessory for the bowler-hatted rifle crank at the tail end of the Gilded Age. If he had camouflaged it in a removable thin wood "sheath," it would have appeared even more civilized.

Now that my right knee and ankle are no longer 100 % reliable, I should consider some sort of walking stick, but I don't want one that can't:

a. support an old guy increasing in avoirdupois
    b. stand up to thrashing one average mountebank.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Speaking of Golden Retrievers: it’s not the dog, it’s the owner. I was attacked by a Golden back when I was a youth. Of course, back when I was a youth, I was really, really into nunchaku. Hard maple nunchaku aside the chops will cause a dog that’s leaping bodily at your throat to twist themselves in the air and hit the ground running the other direction. Nunchaku will also drop a marauding goose like a stone, but that’s another story.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List