Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixed Blade Knife for Carry in Shorts

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Ugh. It pains me to say this, as a die-hard dog aficionado, but that’s why God invented the airweight J-frame. That said, a CP would at least motivate the 100lb woman to step up the effort to get doggie back under control.
    I am a dog guy. I also walk and bike for fitness.

I keep an airweight J on me while riding. There are a few doggos around here, with their flyweight mommas, that have nearly caused me to wreck.

Walking, I may have something more significant on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I am a dog guy. I also walk and bike for fitness.

I keep an airweight J on me while riding. There are a few doggos around here, with their flyweight mommas, that have nearly caused me to wreck.

Walking, I may have something more significant on me.
    I walk my dog every weekday morning and take him to the dog park both mornings on weekends, and since I'm doing nothing more strenuous than brisk walking I have a full size gun on me. No problem dogs here specifically that I've seen yet, but there are just so damn many dogs here that I have to think there's decent odds of finding one someday just based on the law of large numbers. And I have a 100lb target tethered to me by a leash who despite his size will be worse than useless in an emergency (the total pushover Golden in my profile pic).

As for blades I've had success taking any sheath set up for any kind of clip and retrofitting it to use a DCC. I carry an ESEE Izula, and while I have a Dark Star for horizontal belt carry I've modified the previously awful factory sheath to work pretty well IWB. DCC clip attached with velcro tape and zip ties, relieved the mouth of the sheath on the edge side for a better grip on the draw, added a bit of foam on the back for comfort. It goes with me whenever I'm carrying an LCR under a three piece suit vest, which is pretty nearly every day I have court.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Ugh. It pains me to say this, as a die-hard dog aficionado, but that’s why God invented the airweight J-frame. That said, a CP would at least motivate the 100lb woman to step up the effort to get doggie back under control.
    It pains me but I moved to commie land and still working on my CCW. Also people’s dogs are really their children and I’ll need to let the dog bloody me up some if it gets real in the neighborhood so I can survive the police report and any legal action. I can also palm the knife and keep it more discreet in a pro-active way.

I should probably work on my dog interaction skills as well. I’ve been bitten three times by random dogs over my life with every time the owner remarking “my precious has never bitten anyone”. So my reactions tend to be elevated.

I faced off with a cougar almost 20 years ago and I bring the lesson of “ok Motherfucker let’s rumble” aggression to situations.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    DSG sheath order. Next month or two, I’ll order the knife.

I got a pocket stabby from Totem that has me something stabby but want something with better access and more stabby.

Walking a lot and I encounter a good number of 100 lb woman with 100 lb dogs who for some reason react poorly “it’s your beard but they are a sweetheart and never would bite.” Sorry I don’t believe you.
    I would prefer having my POM pepper spray over a small blade for dogs. Not saying I wouldn't carry the blade too, but if dogs are your concern and you're not carrying gas, you're wrong.

I'll be honest, a knife is the last thing I'm deploying against a dog.

Kicks, Sticks, Gas, Saps, Gun if absolutely necessary...

...a knife would be last on my list.

Not saying I'm right...but I've been in a few such skirmishes in the last few years. (Pulled gun and fortunately did not have to use it when charged by two Rotties showing bad intentions.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    It pains me but I moved to commie land and still working on my CCW. Also people’s dogs are really their children and I’ll need to let the dog bloody me up some if it gets real in the neighborhood so I can survive the police report and any legal action. I can also palm the knife and keep it more discreet in a pro-active way.

I should probably work on my dog interaction skills as well. I’ve been bitten three times by random dogs over my life with every time the owner remarking “my precious has never bitten anyone”. So my reactions tend to be elevated.

I faced off with a cougar almost 20 years ago and I bring the lesson of “ok Motherfucker let’s rumble” aggression to situations.
    I’ve been bitten a few times as well and I’m NEVER allowing anyone’s “precious fur baby” to clamp down on me again.

I carry spray but also am ready to shoot. Cops in my AO have told me stories of pits just shaking off the pepper spray.

Even in the People's Republics I've lived in for the past few years - it has not been uncommon to see folks carry a moderate sized stick for "dog" protection when they are walking their dogs and/or family around. A hardwood stick with bark left on it would be mostly invisible to the average person and cops aren't likely to hassle you for it, either.

Now, wander around with a baseball bat, nightstick, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Even in the People's Republics I've lived in for the past few years - it has not been uncommon to see folks carry a moderate sized stick for "dog" protection when they are walking their dogs and/or family around. A hardwood stick with bark left on it would be mostly invisible to the average person and cops aren't likely to hassle you for it, either.

Now, wander around with a baseball bat, nightstick, etc.
    One of the regulars I run into on my morning walks is a middle aged to early elderly woman who uses a walking stick. Not a cane, a walking stick. I don’t look at her twice and I’m sure no one else does, even though we’re walking on wide, perfectly even sidewalks in new build suburbia.

Hey @Cookie Monster - I heard you recently took up golf. So your walking routine for prepping to walk 18-holes should also include some club swinging practice on different kinds of substrates. Of course, carrying your 9-iron is a bit tough, and you wouldn't want to damage any park turf.

So how about a big blackjac...err golf swing trainer?

CHAMPKEY Golf Swing Trainer - Tempo & Flexibility Training Aids Warm-Up Stick Ideal for Golf Indoor & Outdoor Practice https://a.co/d/cOwwSbT

Name:  IMG_1514.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  34.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'll be honest, a knife is the last thing I'm deploying against a dog.

Kicks, Sticks, Gas, Saps, Gun if absolutely necessary...

...a knife would be last on my list.

Not saying I'm right...but I've been in a few such skirmishes in the last few years. (Pulled gun and fortunately did not have to use it when charged by two Rotties showing bad intentions.)
    I knew a guy who made hiking staffs. Unlike the fairy baton REI types, you could do battle with them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List