Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Nice Neighborhood and Equipment choice

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    So the j frames that family carried were ineffective?
    Yeah, while I understand the emphasis of sharing that story; I didn't see a "shooting solution" in that incident. A mediocre alarm system, a dog, and a locked door would have probably saved lives. If someone can enter your house undetected and wake you up with a baseball bat... that's not a gear matter.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post

I hate the "home defense" gun stuff. The gun you have with you is the only one that matters.
    Amen, there's a line between preparedness and LARP'ing and these topics always seem to be unsteady on following it.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Let me a bit more precise in my language and meaning:

I was generally outlining the worst case scenario in a nice neighborhood,- a home invasion by multiple experienced attackers.

I would humbly submit, for me, that is the WCS regardless or my EDC and/or readily accessible defensive weapons.

If you want to defend you and those you love in your presumably "Nice Neighborhood" house against multiple experienced attackers with a J frame as your primary- you do you.

I will graciously decline that opportunity in favor of an EDC that is a bit more capable, as remote as the odds are of me facing the WCS are in the first place.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I think we can all agree that the J-frame, P365, Ruger LCP, or other small gun are never the ideal guns to bring to a gun fight. What they are though is the most likely gun you might have when things go bad because they are the guns that people are actually likely to carry and have with them when lounging around their house.

Nothing says you can't have a "better" gun or more guns around in your house (provided you don't have rug rats running around getting into everything).

What I hate are the folks that keep a Glock 34 with a light and extended mag and say that's their "home defense" gun that they keep in their nightstand upstairs or the folks that carry a Staccato P all with a light all day when out and about, but take it off and put it away when they get home then wandering around unarmed.

Nobody calls you and tells you they're going to break into your house. You can't schedule when you are going to get robbed at gunpoint in your driveway.

So the reality is that a gun out of reach or not readily accessible is pretty much worthless. Most of us lounge around our house in...wait for it...lounge wear. That typically excludes heavier full size guns. So carry the biggest gun you can comfortably haul around with you in your lounge wear comfortably...'cause that is the gun you will likely have.

I've had the displeasure of having to respond to quite a few "home invasions" either as a street cop or detective (99% of which were dope-rips by the way). They're typically super quick and super violent. A door gets kicked open or the girlfriend is followed into the house or the guy is ambushed getting in/out of his car. Then there is lots of yelling, pistol whipping, and/or shooting. The invaders are trying to catch the victims completely by surprise and dominate them. There is nearly always more than one bad guy.

The home invasions and driveway robberies I have been to where the invaders were repelled were when the "victim" party had a gun on their person and started immediately shooting back. The key there is had a gun on their person. Not in a safe. Not in a drawer. Not upstairs. Not on a shelf. On their person.

In every one of those cases the invaders may have shot, or shot at, at the "victim," but they always ran or scrambled away or they got dead. Remember, typically our invaders are cowards and they are there for financial gain or for intimidation. Someone shooting at them causes a cost benefit analysis to instantly take place.

The lesson is a gun on your person, any gun on your person, beats any gun, even a much superior gun, that is not.

I wish I had the dedication to carry a slung AR on me or have an 870P on my lap when lying on the couch in the evening, but let's be real...like most of us, I don't. A J-frame takes the excuses away. Is it the best gun for a fight? No, not at all, but it is a gun and it's certainly better than the one I can't reach.

So if you are likely to carry that Staccato or a USP in your PJ's, sweats, or basketball shorts on your couch then I guess you are a step above most of us., but I think for most people a J-frame or P365 is likely what they will have.
    Last edited by KevH; 08-11-2023 at 05:04 PM.

Seems like he is weighting “probability” too heavily and undervaluing “severity” in his risk assessment.

Risks with “catastrophic” consequences require high attention regardless of their likelihood.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

All I'm seeing is another tired "Killed in the streetz" discussion.
    David S.

User Tag List