Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nice Neighborhood and Equipment choice

Consider the fact that even the gated neighborhoods will have lawn service, delivery people, roofers, repair people, and others who might not be the most trustworthy people, or especially quiet about where they work. Sometimes those are the only jobs paroled felons can get, and they're not necessarily looking to turn their lives around.

Just food for thought.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    FWIW/YMMV

It is just not that hard to carry a more capable gun than a J frame.

As it is just not that hard, I choose to carry a more capable gun than a j frame 99% of the time.

In my direct and anecdotal experience, the vast majority of folks that default to j frame carry are not nearly as good with them as they are with a bigger gun either nor are many particularly good with them at all beyond a few feet.

Worst Case Scenario in a Nice Neighborhood Below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshi...vasion_murders
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

What's on you

Quote Originally Posted by Scrabble View Post
    Paradoxically, if he were to take advantage of the J-frame's greatest feature and keep it on him at all times, I would argue that he would be in a very strong position compared to most. However, the "nice areas" comment makes me think that the revolver will probably live out its days in a drawer or safe.
    Your home defense gun is what you have on you when the doorbell rings. Something is better than nothing. I have a Hip-Gripped J-frame that I carry when I can't carry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Consider the fact that even the gated neighborhoods v have lawn service, delivery people, roofers, repair people, and others who might not be the most trustworthy people, or especially quiet about where they work. Sometimes those are the only jobs paroled felons can get, and they're not necessarily looking to turn their lives around.

Just food for thought.
    Even more than that, people don't have to be let in.

When I was in junior high, I had a girlfriend whose daddy did not like me who lived in a "nice" little subdivision with a little booth at the only inlet. Conveniently enough, the most direct way there from my house was to actually walk along the train tracks, and just go over the 8 or 10 foot chain link fence.

I was no criminal mastermind, just a 13 year old boy trying to suck face with his girlfriend in a copse of pine trees. And I'll bet a lot of those ground level patio sliding glass doors where not locked.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I agree that there are not "good" neighborhoods if there ever were. Bad things happen everywhere.

I hate the "home defense" gun stuff. The gun you have with you is the only one that matters.

If you are inclined to carry a J-frame and get really good with it and actually carry it with you everywhere that you go, then that's as fine a choice as any.

If shit goes down and your "home defense gun" with an optic, a light, and extended mag, is upstairs in a drawer and you are downstairs it's pretty useless isn't it?

A J-frame, a P365, a Glock 26, or whatever other concealable gun you like to cart around with you all day is the ideal home defense gun to me because you are more likely to have it when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    ...I hate the "home defense" gun stuff. The gun you have with you is the only one that matters...
    While I see your point and agree, I wouldn't go that far. Having a house gun handy - actually handy - is an easy thing for many to do what with it not having to be carried. Something crashes in? You should already be wearing a gun. Something gets your attention and you have a moment? In my case, a cruiser-ready Mossberg 590 is just out of sight and reach but can be charged and ready in a jiff. We can embrace the power of "and" rather than live in a binary when talking about home armaments.

Example of a nighttime break-in attempt at a former place. I heard the outer door get breached hard and ramming begin on the inner door and immediately covered the girlfriend's movement to our locked bedroom with my carry gun. While depositing her and bellowing for a housemate, I grabbed a shotgun from the bedside while leaving her the pistol. I was glad I had a long gun once I pushed back up to cover the door and noticed the invader to be a fullsize bear. The roomy who flew downstairs to shouting and commands in his home had only his carry G30, having felt no time to step from the bathroom to his own bedroom shotty. Two different responses to the same event due to individual contextual observations, triggers, and positioning. Granted a labrador retreiver waking up, smelling bear, and going ballistic is what got it to leave having only mostly destroyed the door jam. This timed out well as roomy and I had just communicated that I was going to start pouring buckshot through the door before it broke and he'd hold off with the pistol until the beast had fully breached while I bailed from the line of the bear if it came to that.

That was a very nice neighborhood but one quiet night wound up involving a carry gun hand-off, armed baricade, movement, setting up three lines of fire, a potential downrange friendly (the dog), two sets of pair communication and planning, accessing a long gun, and power tool usage to repair the damage enough to have a somehwat secure door before going to bed. Most of that well within a minute.

Or the local who iced a bear with a 45-70 wearing nothing but shower suds when it was poking around the porch door while his young kid was playing across the yard and his wife screamed. He had to access a gun from a naked start no matter what so opted for the appropriate one.

Site Supporter
    I don't see the point of dropping all the way to a J frame for a house gun. G19 seems like the minimum. More is better.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I'd rather defend myself with a Glock 19 than a snub, standing in a nice spot doesn't change that.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    FWIW/YMMV

It is just not that hard to carry a more capable gun than a J frame.

As it is just not that hard, I choose to carry a more capable gun than a j frame 99% of the time.

In my direct and anecdotal experience, the vast majority of folks that default to j frame carry are not nearly as good with them as they are with a bigger gun either nor are many particularly good with them at all beyond a few feet.

Worst Case Scenario in a Nice Neighborhood Below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshi...vasion_murders
    So the j frames that family carried were ineffective?
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List