Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: August Rangemaster Newsletter

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Not a medical dude or a gunslinger, so out of my lane. But it seems like a lot of the high level military guys, including KD4 and Pressberg, emphasize the upper chest.

I understand the aortic arch, sitting above the heart, is considered an excellent area for immediate incapacitation.

Of course, these targets all assume a full-value frontal view. I believe it was Tom Kier (Sayock Kali master, shooter, and one of Kyle Defoor's mentors) who advocates aiming between the shoulder blades, regardless of how the adversary is positioned relative to yourself.
    I think the VTAC target is very good and the upper thoracic is the aiming spot.

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 8.18.13 PM.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  29.8 KB

But note that upper thoracic square in relationship to the sternum, clavicle and ribs. It's essentially covering the entire heart area.

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 8.26.57 PM.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  58.8 KB

thanks

just wanted to include my own thanks for the effort to put out this Rangemaster newsletter. well written,thoughtful info and topics. great addition to my "list" must reads

Best of three runs: 98/100 with one shot over PAR (which I've been told "might" be -2).

Glock 17/irons/115gr. ball.

I basically "fell asleep at the wheel" when the buzzer went of at the 2.5 yard line and the second shot was over time.

Name:  IMG_0565.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  67.1 KB
    Last edited by Andy in NH; 07-29-2023 at 05:00 PM.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Site Supporter
    Any overtime shots deduct 10 points. On any drill I post, the penalty for an overtime shot is whatever the maximum scoring area counts, in this case 10 points.

My session today was partially shaped by the newsletter.

I started with a Double - Add One cold. 88 due to calling a high left "miss" aka not in the 10 ring at the 20 yard line and ensured the next was in the 10 ring but at too much of a time penalty, resulting in an over time shot.

Then I did the pseudo (idpa target) Gabe White standards but in the spirit of the newsletter, by covering up the scoring zones with a t shirt and hat. The hat pulled the head down a bit but sometimes people put their head down so it is what it is.

Raw time was 22.38. I accumulated 5 seconds of penalties (four .25 second penalties for -1's, plus two head shot misses that landed in the body at 2 seconds each) but because i shot from concealment i got to take off 2 seconds, for a total 3 second penalty. Total time was 25.38 after penalties. I'm generally in the 21.xx-22.xx range so a bit slower without seeing a visible scoring zone but i did use visual cues from the clothing as a point of aim, the DSG logo on the hat and the print on the t shirt. It is something that I will expand to other drills and tests to see if the effect is similar across the board based on difficulty etc... It wasn't challenging so much as it simply took more caution.

Bills

Immediate Incapacitation

F2S

Split Bill

Naked
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Any overtime shots deduct 10 points. On any drill I post, the penalty for an overtime shot is whatever the maximum scoring area counts, in this case 10 points.
    Agreed - that was my first thought, but since it wasn't stated I reached out to the creator of the drill.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

User Tag List