Thread: August Rangemaster Newsletter

Site Supporter

August Rangemaster Newsletter

The August edition of Rangemaster’s monthly newsletter is available. See

https://rangemaster.com/wp-content/u...Newsletter.pdf

Thank you Tom.

Site Supporter
    Excellent edition.

The "Location, location..." section is a good reminder. Since my wife and I moved to our current home in a quiet suburban 55+ community almost four years ago we have had two murders within easy walking distance of our home. One was a terrible multiple homicide at a business I drive by all the time. This stuff can happen anywhere.

Site Supporter
    Love the drills for anatomically important areas.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

"It pays to practice with a handful of aiming methods."

As a varient aiming method, particularly when the target is within the length of a car or a little less, I find it useful to focus exclusivly on the back sight and firing as soon as the target becomes visible in the rear notch. Only then do I check to confirm front sight alignment.

I did not develop this approach. It was passed on to me, and I'm passing it along in turn.

Duces

I like that drill from Dyal,”Prep Time” was frequently used this spring and will have to shake that out.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I really like Dyal's "Double-Add One" drill. Matching trigger speed to target size/distance is a critical skill and this drill helps develop that. I use it a lot in my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I really like Dyal's "Double-Add One" drill. Matching trigger speed to target size/distance is a critical skill and this drill helps develop that. I use it a lot in my practice.
    Sundays class session was the first I’d heard of that one, I’ll be using it again

First run and practice indicated!

Thank you, Mr. Givens.
    I had a run at the Dyal drill at lunch today, and humility is indicated. I was clean going to the 20 yard line, and promptly pushed those two off the black. So an “80” and there is always work to be done…
    I especially appreciated the close, tight times.
    Your observations about being ready even in nice neighborhoods is well taken.

Anatomy

We have discussed the Shoot Steel targets before.

The scoring zone may be a little high depending on your philosophy.

If you were aiming for heart and a wider zone of vitals, it would be lower, like the -0 of the IDPA target.

When you add a shirt like in the example, the discrepancy becomes more clear.

That high in the upper chest, the vital structure window can get quite narrow.

They’ll probably still be good hits and stop the fight, but if you wanted to correlate to anatomy.

I think there was some discussion that trying to hit the pulmonary artery trunks and great vessels above the heart was the goal?

That works too. That could explain the discrepancy between IDPA -0 and the Shoot Steel center.

Name:  IMG_3497.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 7.13.00 PM.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  62.0 KB

User Tag List