Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dog names?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Brave dog. Looking at how flattened those ears are, I’m scared of that cat!
    One of my present cats is barely more than 1/3 the size of Orville, and she has messed me up several times when she's "snapped" and attacked me. Her attacks are getting more and more infrequent as she ages, her last one, the worst ever, was 2 years ago. I probably wouldn't be here if Orville had done the same things she has to me. Orville saved 99% of his rages for the Vet's office, but both my present cats love the vet, and roll around on the exam table purring and don't even stop when they get shots. Orville had to be sedated to do almost anything.

He was a laid back guy most of the time at home. King really enjoyed messing with him and would herd him like cattle, and Orville just didn't understand King was playing with him until 2 weeks before Orville went sour at 17. They had a lot of fun those last couple of weeks, it was a whole different thing to see Orville just playing nicely with him, like Gus did before. While both King and Gus could have killed Orville anytime they wanted to, King's bite power and strength in general, were almost a joke compared to Gus, who could bite with an amazing amount of force. That 27" neck had a purpose. Big neck and head generally means hard bite. Gus's bite force exceeded the largest Rottweiler he was compared to. Makes sense, he was, after all, the founding member of one vet's "F.A.T.(Finger amputatin' Teeth) club with three plus signs. For a long time, he was the sole +++ member. Lots of one and two plus sign dogs, but Gus was at the top. King wouldn't even get in the door of that club. But he was able to get into it with Orville and walk away without a single bit of damage. The Only damage to Orville was psychological, King really did know how to just wind him up.

Would have it walk away from that breed….

OP is a better man than me, I can’t have the same breed as the one that pasted. I compare them too much and it’s not fair to the new pup. Had a great Yellow Lab, Hank, that dies while in Mexico on a guided hunt. A Black Lab that got “clotheslined” by a lonely strain of wire in a field. No Labs for the last 30 years. A great English setter that all others will be judged by. A GSD that gave me my life back during a bad time in my life. No other can compare to her. And now, two Mals that are entering middle age. They will be my last Belgians.

Starting a new service dog in training next year. After 30 years, actually looking at Labs. But they aren’t the wonderful kind I grew up with, trained, nor hunted. So might have to pass. Every time I get asked about a certain breed that I already, I try to change the subject. Too much emotional baggage to unpack.

Anyways, for herding dogs I always liked Chance. Seen some great ones, both make and female, with that name. Good hard start, with a echoing end.
    Professionally Trained Service Dog. Not dogs with issues! LOL unless you are talking about my mutts.

I've been in the same boat - got a second Mastiff after our Scout, our first, passed, and couldn't stop comparing them, to the younger pooch's discredit. My bestest good boy Ranger the Ridgeback had to be put down in June due to untreatable osteosarcoma just shy of his 10th birthday. Despite being the best, smartest, most loving dog we've ever owned, I can't imagine getting another Ridgy, because he could never live up to Ranger.

I'd look at a different but similar breed - maybe an Australian Cattle Dog instead of Sheperd, or a Border Collie instead of a standard Collie. As far as names go, you've gotten a ton of great suggestions, but my next dog's name will be Claymore.

Our departed buddies were:

Custer
    Sitting Bull (AKA Boo-boo)
    Scout
    Trooper
    Ranger

My all-time favorite name was a dog that lived on the stables where we used to board horses.

He was a Dachshund/Lab mix.

“Squatty-body”

Picture a Lab on a Dachshunds legs[emoji33]

User Tag List