Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dog names?

Winchester.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    dee o gee
    A guy in my subdivision named his dog that. He speaks English with a very heavy accent so it's funny when he says it. Not sure how many laughs a native English speaker would get.

My first wife named a dog Stella. Every time you called the dog you sounded like Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire, which was funny for about six months.

My father's Oklahoma quail-hunting partners felt that a dog's name should be one syllable and guttural so the dog could hear it across a 40-acre wheat field when the wind was blowing. You sound like a moron yelling "Gilligan!" under those circumstances, so names like Jack and Duke were favorites with them. Ms. Okie and I named our dogs Jack and Duke for that reason.

My grandfather always called his dogs Rex and Toro. When one of them died, he got a new Rex or Toro and kept on going.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

This is Scrappy and the name definitely fits this high energy Australian Terrier.
    Name:  IMG_9298.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  61.3 KB

Pick a name you don’t mind yelling down the neighborhood at the top of your lungs
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    I figured it's better to have the name narrowed down before the dog arrives.
    I need to interact with the doggo for a bit before I come to a name that "fits". I don't think I could pick one out beforehand.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Pick a name you don’t mind yelling down the neighborhood at the top of your lungs
    Great point! We had a poodle back when I was a kid to keep my little sister company when I was old enough to go to school. One day he got out. His name was Fluffy. Even as a kid I wasn't going to yell that name!

Original name was going to be Popeye, as his eyes bugged out when he chewed, but there were three Popeyes, all Dacshunds in the neighborhood, so it was Gus. General Norman Swartzkopf said "He looks like a dog aught to look, like a Gus!" when he met him back about 30 years ago. That's a 25 plus pound cat he's got in his mouth. They were big pals until the "testicle incident", and Gus didn't want Orville anywhere behind him after that.

Name:  0NeEJA.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  39.8 KB
    Name:  129819150372845385.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  38.3 KB
    King was going to be called King or Kirk, both fit perfectly, as no dog had more self confidence than he did. The alternate name was "Snowballs", you can guess why. Orville might have pushed Gus around, but King wasn't Gus and even when he was a whopping 7 pounds, he had no fear of the screaming with rage Orville. When he got bigger than Orville, Orville lost his mind.
    Name:  pict0022bw0.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  68.7 KB
    Name:  5iRle5.jpg
Size:  32.0 KB

Jack.
    OR, Jax.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post
    When he got bigger than Orville, Orville lost his mind.
    Name:  pict0022bw0.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  68.7 KB
    Name:  5iRle5.jpg
Size:  32.0 KB
    Brave dog. Looking at how flattened those ears are, I’m scared of that cat!

User Tag List