Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dog names?

If I ever had a pug or other small smash faced dog, I'd name it Roach. No idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I need to interact with the doggo for a bit before I come to a name that "fits". I don't think I could pick one out beforehand.

I named a black lab Willie the Wondering Gypsie before I had brought him home. Willie never really fit and everyone called him buddy, come here buddy, hey buddy etc. All of my other dogs have been allowed to come into the family and a name has come to the dog over time, some quicker than others.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    If an Aussie: Quigley.
    Or Mick. [Dundee]

I knew a dog named :
    Deeohgee. [DOG]
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

We started a trend of naming our animals using the Greek pantheon and the ensuing sub-roster.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    A guy in my subdivision named his dog that. He speaks English with a very heavy accent so it's funny when he says it. Not sure how many laughs a native English speaker would get.

My first wife named a dog Stella. Every time you called the dog you sounded like Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire, which was funny for about six months.

My father's Oklahoma quail-hunting partners felt that a dog's name should be one syllable and guttural so the dog could hear it across a 40-acre wheat field when the wind was blowing. You sound like a moron yelling "Gilligan!" under those circumstances, so names like Jack and Duke were favorites with them. Ms. Okie and I named our dogs Jack and Duke for that reason.

My grandfather always called his dogs Rex and Toro. When one of them died, he got a new Rex or Toro and kept on going.

Okie John
    That’s exactly how the Dutch name their working dogs. Rico, Rex, Max et al. Short harsh names for the most part.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    I've always thought there would be great utility in naming a dog "Dammit." One less word for the dog to try to learn. "Dammit, Come!"

But yes on the one syllable names -- or at least a name that can be easily abbreviated to one syllable.

Because dogs like to go, and the skies can be big:

Name:  DSC_9619.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  100.1 KB

Cooter.

All you have to do is holler and cooter will come a running!

I read in the 'Swiss Family Robinson' that a dog name should include an "O" because words with "O" can be heard farther. I think they named theirs Coco.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Or Mick. [Dundee]

I knew a dog named :
    Deeohgee. [DOG]
    I called my last dog dog quite a lot. She had a perfectly good name, Haley, but "come on dog" was simple and normal.

Once in a while Id blank on a name (lots of sleep deprivation at times) and be "Hey, you, dog" was what came out.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

He was faster than Orville (and a lot smarter) and seemed to be able to do anything he wanted to with him, no matter how angry Orville got and he sometimes got scary angry. I have dozens of scars on my hands and arms from just Orville's vet visits alone. His meltdowns were just insane, even before we got him to the vet, he would be screaming angry and would attack anything near him. Usually at the vet, that was me. I have a tape someplace of me getting bit on the web of my right hand during one of Orville's rages. Those 4 fangs sinking in hurt really bad.

He was for many years, the "Worst Patient Ever", but after he died, a big orange cat took over the title. Not as big as Orville was, but even more insane. I can''t remember his name, but it was a nam that sounded like he should have been a nice patient, but he was just out of his mind.

User Tag List