Thread: .50GI loads. Anyone have QuickLoad access? Need some help.

.50GI loads. Anyone have QuickLoad access? Need some help.

I'd like to load some 270 gr coated SWC bullets for my Guncrafter .50GI 1911 to shoot bowling pins and I'd prefer to use Accurate No 2.

There are some recommended loads for this bullet weight with Titegroup, but I've read several times that Titegroup makes coated bullets smoke and I'd like to avoid that. Supposedly if the powder makes contact with the coating over a period of time, it partially dissolves the coating. I've also read that Titegroup burns hot enough that it allegedly melts some of the lead at the base of the bullet when firing. If this is incorrect I'd sure like to know.

So, if anyone has QuickLoad access, would you mind please helping me find a load range for the 270 gr coated SWC with Accurate No. 2? I've done some research and it looks like there's a safe range of 3.5 grs to 4.2 grs, possibly up to 4.5 grs of AA#2 and the 270 gr bullet.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 07-24-2023 at 08:40 PM.

Paging @JCL
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Paging @JCL
    Without any actual experience with this powder or platform I'd be reluctant to offer any advice to someone seeking maxium performance from a relatively low-pressure cartridge. QL predicted performance differs enough from actual performance in my limited experience that the burn rates often need to be tweaked a bit to match the two up. If someone else is willng to jump in you'll want to provide them with the OAL of the bullet and its seating depth to have any hope of generating usefuil information. Standard procedure applies in any instance; start low, work up, and be very cautious near the upper end of the range.
    "The older I get, the more I think that just staying home and drinking the good stuff by yourself is way underrated as a healthy practice." - Totem Polar

"An entire worldview devoted to being offside." - feudist

Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Without any actual experience with this powder or platform I'd be reluctant to offer any advice to someone seeking maxium performance from a relatively low-pressure cartridge. QL predicted performance differs enough from actual performance in my limited experience that the burn rates often need to be tweaked a bit to match the two up. If someone else is willng to jump in you'll want to provide them with the OAL of the bullet and its seating depth to have any hope of generating usefuil information. Standard procedure applies in any instance; start low, work up, and be very cautious near the upper end of the range.
    Thank you. I appreciate it. I'm only looking for a low to mid-range load. I don't need nuclear loads. That's the beauty of using a 270 gr bullet; even at low speed it takes the pins off the table sufficiently enough. I may have to just try Titegroup to see what happens since there are recommended loads with it.

Anyone have experience the alleged "Titegroup partially dissolves the coating" of coated bullets or it supposedly "melting" part of the base of the bullets due to it burning hot?

Site Supporter
    You can call the Accurate folks and visit with a tech who will give AA No. 2 data for the 50 GI. They have a good rep in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    You can call the Accurate folks and visit with a tech who will give AA No. 2 data for the 50 GI. They have a good rep in this regard.
    I sent them an email and I got this response:

"Hi

Sorry, no load data for the 50 GI cartridge

Thank You for using our powders!

Curtis

Perhaps the customer service has changed now that it's owned by Hodgdon.
    So, I'm going to try Titegroup and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Thank you. I appreciate it. I'm only looking for a low to mid-range load. I don't need nuclear loads. That's the beauty of using a 270 gr bullet; even at low speed it takes the pins off the table sufficiently enough. I may have to just try Titegroup to see what happens since there are recommended loads with it.

Anyone have experience the alleged "Titegroup partially dissolves the coating" of coated bullets or it supposedly "melting" part of the base of the bullets due to it burning hot?
    No experience with 50GI but I know that millions of rounds of 9mm and 40 cal with titegroup and coated bullets have been fired and the coating is fine. One of the manufacturers used to show a picture of a bullet that was melted but the coating was still intact. I wouldn't worry about it for that.

I've loaded some titegroup in 45ACP and wasn't real fond of it. Didn't take up much case volume so you'd have enough room to triple charge it. Felt like it made 45ACP feel snappy instead of more a push you get with bullseye or 231 or something. YMMV.

Site Supporter
    I would bet my 870 that if a bullet coating melts, then the coating itself is defective. I noticed that Graf's has a no haz mat fee special for a $150 or more powder/primer order, and as of yesterday Bullseye powder was in stock. This powder has had an outstanding performance record for about 100 years. Being uncoated, it's easily ignited. Further, this powder is not position sensitive. Too, it makes dandy +p 38 Spl loads and very accurate low end or target .357 Mag loads. I use it in my 45-70 to propel big bullets at lower velocity. They will still go through a hog.

loaddata.com has loads that get a 275-grain bullet up to about 800 fps with several powders, but none of them are AA2.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List