Thread: RFI: Anti-fog lens spray

RFI: Anti-fog lens spray

I'm competing again in a Summer Biathlon in August. Last time I did this my shooting got all messed up because my glasses fogged up when I was tucked into my firing position. This time I am using my own rifle with a scope so I'm worried about my scope eyepiece lens and my glasses lenses. Is there a good spray on anti fog coating that could save my day?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I'm competing again in a Summer Biathlon in August. Last time I did this my shooting got all messed up because my glasses fogged up when I was tucked into my firing position. This time I am using my own rifle with a scope so I'm worried about my scope eyepiece lens and my glasses lenses. Is there a good spray on anti fog coating that could save my day?
    Cat Crap seems to be a very popular product, with folks recommending the paste over the spray. Obviously, the paste will need to be applied with some effort before hand, but most folks say that the paste is also much more effective than the spray. Full disclosure, I've used Cat Crap before, and still experienced fogging, but it was under quite extreme conditions, so I don't know if it was just Cat Crap not actually working than no application, or it worked but was eventually overwhelmed anyway.

Plug for my guy out at BTO that sells it: https://www.bigtexordnance.com/produ...te-retro-logo/

Site Supporter
    My son and I just completed our scuba certification and used Spit antifog by www.Jawsproducts.com with zero issues. I've never tried it on a rifle optic but don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

During the pandemic the masks I was forced to wear caused my eyeglasses to fog. I tried several different anti fog products including Cat Crap, and the best ones were Lenscrafters Anti-Fog Spray and an anti-fog cleaning cloth from Amazon, which is now unavailable - https://www.amazon.com/stores/Neatrt...2?ref_=ast_bln

Thanks for all the recommendations. The idea of a wipe hadn't occurred to me. So I decided to order these Zeiss lens wipes. We'll see how well they work.

Zeiss AntiFOG wipes, 120 count https://a.co/d/90otrSO
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I frequently use the Zeiss lens wipes on my prescription glasses. I don't have much trouble with fogging, but it does happen occasionally going between the house/car and the outside Texas heat. I mainly use them for cleaning purposes though, and anti-fogging is a distant second as far as I'm concerned.

When I used to SCUBA dive many years ago it was my experience that the thicker products with a gel or paste like consistency worked the best. I like Cat Crap, and believe it or not but Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo works quite well and is cheap. The idea is to create a smooth film on the glass that has less surface imperfections for the moisture to cling to. How well you apply it is key though. Take the time to rub it in good with 100% coverage on the glass, but keep in mind nothing will be able to prevent fogging 100% of the time.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

User Tag List