Thread: Combat Masterpiece Trigger Stop

Combat Masterpiece Trigger Stop

Been reading that the trigger stop on the S&W 15 Combat Masterpiece can be problematic. Is this really an issue? Should it be removed?

Interested to hear of any instances and the circumstances.

Ive heard of it, but not experienced it and havent removed any from guns Ive had. Checking to be sure the screw is tight may be a factor.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Been reading that the trigger stop on the S&W 15 Combat Masterpiece can be problematic. Is this really an issue? Should it be removed?
    Wow, it's been since the early 1980s that I've heard of this one! There were some instances of the stop screw loosening and stopping full travel of the trigger on target sighted S&Ws because the stop loosened and dropped out of position, so a bulletin went out to remove them from revolvers in service use. I think Smith quit installing them on guns later (not sure). If the gun is in defensive service, I'd remove it and if not, make sure the screw is tightened (have fun finding the right sized screwdriver, too).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Wow, it's been since the early 1980s that I've heard of this one! There were some instances of the stop screw loosening and stopping full travel of the trigger on target sighted S&Ws because the stop loosened and dropped out of position, so a bulletin went out to remove them from revolvers in service use. I think Smith quit installing them on guns later (not sure). If the gun is in defensive service, I'd remove it and if not, make sure the screw is tightened (have fun finding the right sized screwdriver, too).
    I'm in agreement with Wayne and would add that if the gun is a DAO, the stop is superfluous.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Wayne nailed it! Back in the early 80s, I had a 19 4" I carried on duty and one night in a backwoods location I decided to dispatch a porcupine with my 19. The entire action was locked up. Culprit was the trigger stop. Had it removed by gunsmith as no screwdriver can be found in a common assortment to fit that scew. Flyer to LE came out right after that about the issue described. Been there, done that! Went to a 29-2 4" immediately following this incident. Carried the old Remington FP 240 lead bullet at 1,000 fps. Sent a lot of critters to the happy hunting grounds.

THE STOP ITSELF WOULD WEAR AN OBLONG HOLE WHERE THE SCREW WENT THROUGH. THE STOP WOULD THEN ROTATE OVER AND LOCK THE ACTION UP. LOOK FOR AN ELIPTICAL SCREW HOLE IN THE STOP THAT WAS THE START OF THE PROBLEM. THE HOLE SHOULD BE PERFECTLY CONCENTRIC. MY 2 CENTS WORTH.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 07-24-2023 at 02:10 PM.

I think its the same screw as the front screw holding the adjustable sight on. Someone mentioned some time ago removing the stop but leaving the screw, as you then knew where a replacement was if you ever needed one.

The Chapman gun screwdriver set has a tip that fits them, Im pretty sure, or very close and not need much fitting.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List