Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shootout at Ken's Corral!

Site Supporter
    How much does Big Jake want for that hat?

Site Supporter
    What a truly awesome collection of talent & experience in one place - that's a 'bucket list' range day if I've ever seen one!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    One person shot a revolver, knocking down steel plates, while the other pulled an MP-5 out of a bag, and chambered a single round and hit a small steel plate. It was a bit of a challenge and times were very close for some, and not some close for other, with zero room for error.
    "Hey, anyone want to shoot a machinegun?"

"We only let you shoot one round lol"

Quote Originally Posted by wrmettler View Post
    How much does Big Jake want for that hat?

I bet he would trade some ammo for it.

Deputy Jake is a gun nut to the core.

He fits right in with all the old school revolver shooters, and was wearing a basket weave version of a 200AW for his 5" Model 29.

What a tremendous day!

And I love that idea with the pistol and subgun teaming up. I'm going to do that with a shotgun and pistol at our local range.

I am so delighted to see all of you having such a happy day together.

It was an excellent day.

Running Bill Drills and an El Pres with a big gun will also show you if you really have control or not.

Ken got done shooting the plates down so quick, he was waiting on his counterpart, who was not slow!

Really it was a great day and a great way to use gear that often only gets just talked about.

Great people, great gear, in a great place. Hard to beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    One of the drills paired people against each other. One person shot a revolver, knocking down steel plates, while the other pulled an MP-5 out of a bag, and chambered a single round and hit a small steel plate. It was a bit of a challenge and times were very close for some, and not some close for other, with zero room for error. Really a fun little exercise.
    I attended a class with Ken years ago; seems I recall it was up in OH where he used to live. He had us doing that drill, except we were using our own guns (all semi-autos), and the bag person had an Uzi.

Seemed like it'd be reasonable that the semi-auto shooter could pop five steel plates before the bag person could get the bag open, put the Uzi into action, and only have to hit one to "win". (I'm also thinking - - - it was years ago, and details are fuzzy - - - but the Uzi shooter wasn't round limited, and could hose).

It wasn't that easy - - - for either shooter. Tons of fun!! And a really good example of how well one's shooting skills hold up when it's a one-on-one competition.

Ken's great!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    I attended a class with Ken years ago; seems I recall it was up in OH where he used to live. He had us doing that drill, except we were using our own guns (all semi-autos), and the bag person had an Uzi.

Seemed like it'd be reasonable that the semi-auto shooter could pop five steel plates before the bag person could get the bag open, put the Uzi into action, and only have to hit one to "win". (I'm also thinking - - - it was years ago, and details are fuzzy - - - but the Uzi shooter wasn't round limited, and could hose).

It wasn't that easy - - - for either shooter. Tons of fun!! And a really good example of how well one's shooting skills hold up when it's a one-on-one competition.

Ken's great!!
    Yep,

People tend to think things are easy when discussing them, but in practical application sometimes all manner of things can slow a person down or cause our performance to be not as envisioned. That is why running such drills and practicing out of the ordinary scenarios is great.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post

Ken's great!!
    Back in the old days, when Ken was basically doing outlaw IPSC/proto-IDPA matches at Ft. Harmar, he would do 'battlefield pickup' stages. One of those that I remember fondly involved starting with your pistol and the one magazine in the gun (and because it was the early 90s, they were all 1911s in .45ACP). When you ran out of ammo, you had to reholster and run up to a dummy (Ken called him "Herb the Serb") dressed in Yugoslavian uniform and retrieve his guns. He had an Uzi and a Makarov with a spare mag. The Uzi only had 3 rounds in it, and the stock was folded. The guys who thought it through extended the stock and flipped the selector to semi, and engaged the 3x 75y Pepper poppers with it, but a lot of dudes just sent a burst from the hip and then had to deal with those distant poppers with the Makarov.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Back in the old days, when Ken was basically doing outlaw IPSC/proto-IDPA matches at Ft. Harmar, he would do 'battlefield pickup' stages. One of those that I remember fondly involved starting with your pistol and the one magazine in the gun (and because it was the early 90s, they were all 1911s in .45ACP). When you ran out of ammo, you had to reholster and run up to a dummy (Ken called him "Herb the Serb") dressed in Yugoslavian uniform and retrieve his guns. He had an Uzi and a Makarov with a spare mag. The Uzi only had 3 rounds in it, and the stock was folded. The guys who thought it through extended the stock and flipped the selector to semi, and engaged the 3x 75y Pepper poppers with it, but a lot of dudes just sent a burst from the hip and then had to deal with those distant poppers with the Makarov.
    I always enjoyed Ken's stages. I was privileged to be able to attend some of the "Sunday Study Group" sessions. Ken would give us a stage to shoot and later we would read on the internet that he was using us as guinea pigs for something he was using in class.

User Tag List