Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shootout at Ken's Corral!

Shootout at Ken's Corral!

Yesterday I met up with some friends at Ken Hackathorn's place for a gathering and to shoot revolvers.

Like most everywhere right now the temperature was on the warm side and I think it was in the mid to upper 90s during the gathering. Bruce Cartright and his son were present, as was Jim Wall from Milt Sparks Holsters. My friend "Big Jake" a local deputy was on hand, and while almost everyone was shooting some form of .38 Special, Jake being a true Elmer Keith fan, was sporting a 5" Model 29, which he shot well.

I had brought along a Combat Masterpiece, but since I did not want jake to be handicapped as far as scores and times goes, I switched back and forth between it and a 4" 629, so as to even things up.

Shooting an El Presidente with a 4" .44 Mag can be pretty sporty!

I also had brought along a back of ammo that was not labeled. What I thought were mid-range/medium loads were from it. Even in the bright afternoon sun, I could see the balls of flame coming out of the gun, LOL.

I don't know if it was just a dirty gun or the fat that they were on the warm side, but I had a couple pieces of brass that were sticky, causing my reload to be on the slow side.

Ken explaining a drill:

More to follow..

I had my ever present 442 with "custom" Lost River grip mods, so Bruce was checking them out as compared to his 442 in stock form:

And Bruce shooting a Bill Drill.

He runs a Ruger Match Champion and is extremely proficient with it to say the least.

And Deputy Big Jake running his 5" Model 29 like a Boss:

One of the drills paired people against each other. One person shot a revolver, knocking down steel plates, while the other pulled an MP-5 out of a bag, and chambered a single round and hit a small steel plate. It was a bit of a challenge and times were very close for some, and not some close for other, with zero room for error. Really a fun little exercise.

Ken really hammered down the plates.

Fing Awesome.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Jim Wall was shooting a Combat Masterpiece and did extremely well, as he is a truly gifted shooter. If you ever get a chance to take a class from him, I recommend doing so.

He makes every course of fire looks like it is no big deal.. Both Jim and Bruce teach classes and between the two of them they cover a pretty wide range of topics.

Overall a great time was had by all. It was on the warm side, so we took refuge in the shade multiple times to rehydrate and visit. I was thinking about it during one of the breaks. I was looking at the barrel stove thinking that it was probably 100 degrees, and I had been there years ago, when it was well below zero. Definitely a 100 degree variance in temperature. Both will test your ability to function, as well as your equipment, and you need to be prepared for each in their own way.

Fun times and most appreciated that once again Ken held a gathering of the gang.

Rocking the 629 with Ropers in a Milt Sparks Summer Special:

Lost River:

Thanks for the kind words and for letting me try your S&W 442 and Lightweight Commander. Both are very cool. It was good to catch up with you, Ken, Jim, Jake and several others. I watched as you shot the El Presidente with your S&W 629. After the first shot, I remarked to my son that those weren't light loads. It was truly one of the better days I have lived in a while.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Yep it was a great day.

Had a few typos above. Was supposed to read that I had a "bag of medium loads". That was definitely not the case.. But once the battle begins, you are committed!

So rock on!

I think everyone got a kick out of your HK toys as well.

A fun time was had by all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Ken demonstrating a no shoot:

(He lived...)

Looks like fun. Nobody dared draw a J-frame?

Man I love seeing Ken living the dream. He's earned it and then some.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Warning: Viewing a post by Lost River may create an urge to browse Gunbroker for big-bore wheelies. If the urge continues for multiple hours please place your wallet in a separate room.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List