Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Map/Navigation and Smartphone Apps Woes

Map/Navigation and Smartphone Apps Woes

Any good ones?

I say this because I just got back from a 2k+ mile road trip with the family, and we had some awful experiences using nav apps. To start off, the nav in Guerrera's new 2023 Honda CRV (a Garmin product, I think) sucks. Several times it let us astray, including saying "You have arrived at your destination" while going 65 down the interstate. It would be comically bad if not for the fact that Guerrera depends on her nav system when she has to drive in the 'hood for her job. The map looks outdated (2021?), but the Honda website says the car is "too new" for a full update. Couple that with the fact that it just seems to not be precise, as if it wasn't calibrated.

That's problem one.

While on the road trip, we tried to use Google Maps on our (Android) phones as a back-up. However, we've noticed several times over the last few months that Google Maps navigation resulted in some pretty crappy results, like running me into a hour-long traffic jam in Chicago that had clearly been there a while.

In frustration, I also put Waze on my phone, because I had heard it was better. It seemed better (other than all the emoji's people seem to poop out on the roads, which just clutters things), but Waze also resulted in a some wonky routes.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe the tech just isn't there yet. All of these systems seem to need a "Are you sure?" button or a "No, that's not it, try again" button.

I think they try to be predictive based on traffic, but there doesn't seem to be an "easiest" option along with the "fastest" and "most fuel efficient" option. For example, if the interstate has some traffic, but it's only a five-minute delay, do you really need to route me off the highway into the 'hood in order to gain five minutes.

Any suggestions?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

MapQuest still exists. Las time I tried it I hated the Android Auto UI.

Google maps stills seems to be king. Definitely keep an eye out for it defaulting to "green" routes. I periodically check alternate routes even if it isn't highlighting any, and I'll force it to identify new ones by changing the avoid highways and toll options.

We were headed down the road to Monument Valley once on our way to the Grand Canyon for our overnight in Tuba City. Ran out of cell phone coverage for my map application...oops. Glad I had a sat-based Garmin in the rig...but that was a half-dozen years ago.

Generally these days I use Waze almost exclusively; it is pretty reliable, but Central Florida is not exactly no mans land.

If it's Garmin the map probably requires updates. I don't think those happen automatically. At least they didn't with the older handheld GPS units. Toyota says they have auto updates using an onboard cellular data system. They also say the system requires a sub after 3 years but I haven't seen anything to indicate that from my system which is in 2019 4R. Nothing from Toyota either so IDK. Seems to work just fine, even in a congested metro area. My wife's 2013 CR-V doesn't even have a nav system. Maybe that was only on the top model.

Smart phones require cell service which is spotty around here. Could that be the problem with your phone? I drop calls all the time in some areas.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-23-2023 at 01:17 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I don't trust them. They seem to want to send me on a route that is not always in my best interests. I just want to get to my destination the quickest and on the best road. They will often send me on a convoluted route that should save me a few seconds, but because it sends me on secondary roads instead of Interstate, it will take me much longer.

I remember the time I was heading North on I-77 out of Marietta OH. It took me down an exit ramp and back up the entrance ramp back on I-77.

Another Time I was taking back gravel roads home from Fort Harmar and it took me on a closed road where I needed 4WD Low to get through.

When I think about it ahead of time I try my route online several different ways ahead of time so I know where I'm going. That way I can choose the best route.

I don't trust any of them.

Here's an open source one I've used with some success. Nice thing is they seem to have map updates nearly every month, so things seem to stay fairly up to date:
    https://osmand.net/

Also, if anyone wants to avoid Google Play, you can find it on the F-Droid (open source Google Play alternative) app store:
    https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.osmand.plus/

One caveat. You might have to play around with the settings a bit to get it to work to your liking. I've seen it do a few weird things like the current position icon keep moving even when you're not. Also the occasional hiccup with the map getting out of sync. That said, it's pretty awesome in that it's open source, works offline, includes a LOT of features similar to Google Maps, even Wikipedia downloads if you want to have data to help discover places worth exploring while on vacation.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    We were headed down the road to Monument Valley once on our way to the Grand Canyon for our overnight in Tuba City. Ran out of cell phone coverage for my map application...oops. Glad I had a sat-based Garmin in the rig...but that was a half-dozen years ago.

Generally these days I use Waze almost exclusively; it is pretty reliable, but Central Florida is not exactly no mans land.
    Google Maps can be downloaded for offline use, I have two phones iPhone is primary with SIM card in it but 2nd phone is Pixel 6a with no SIm but downloaded map for my region it works fine with no cellular or hoptspot connection. Even gives fairly accurate rate of travel.

Instructions for downloading on Android https://support.google.com/maps/answ...form%3DAndroid

Instructions for downloading for ios https://support.google.com/maps/answ...Platform%3DiOS

Been a while since I've looked into it, but pretty sure you can buy or find free PDF of actual maps you can save as well, like USGS maps topos, hiking etc, to use as old school map ie not computer guided navigation.

Many if not all smartphones have not only GPS but compass and barometer in them, so long as you have power for device and saved or hard copy map you can navigate

Oh forgot to mention Apple/iOS maps is getting download for offline use soon as well, they are supposed to have been improved greatly from what I hear though I still default to Google maps,

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023...h-google-maps/

Site Supporter
    I’ve found google maps to be amazing in heavily trafficked area like Los Angeles. It can be comically / disastrously bad in the winter, sending naive Californians off into 8 foot deep snow drifts because it doesn’t know the back roads are deserted for a reason.

Also last year google changed their algorithm such that the app announces turns way before (like sometimes multiple streets before) the turn is made. That is driving me nuts; considering trying Apple Maps again.

Site Supporter
    I have an iPhone for work and find Apple maps to be much better than Google maps in terms of giving clear directions. I hate Apple products, generally, so it pains me to say that. I like the idea of the offline nav setup but for my use, I generally need to real time traffic information.

User Tag List