Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Fixed Blade Knives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Grabs and frankly there are times where I do not want to retain the tool in my hand. Hand switching, while not my first choice for a knife, is something I have done in training and from watching videos, is something stabbers do quite often. Losing the ability to rapidly changes grips, shift hands, or simply drop the knife, along with degloving, all go to make me not be on team Finger Ring.

I'll note that retention is useful in some context, skinning/processing game, kayaking/canoeing, possibly diving (I don't dive, so someone will have to let me know). But notice you won't find finger ring knives on commercial fishing boats. The combination of ropes, nets, traps, and everything else pretty much guarantees a you'll get tangled in something and those guys like to be able to let go of anything at a moment's notice.

Defensive knife use is an entangled sport and I'm not a big fan of being entangled with both my tools and the person I am fighting.
    I am not a frequent diver at all, and only have my basic open water certification.

A diving knife is carried primarily in case you or your diving partner (never dive alone) get entangled in something. That something could be seaweek, discarded fishing line, etc. The primary qualities of a good diving knife are the ability to legally carry it wherever you might be diving as well as the ability to cut through such materials in close proximity to body parts without cutting those body parts. Ideally I would like to be able to mount the sheath securely on a buoyancy compensator, but some come with sheaths with leg straps.

An ideal knife has a short blade with a single edge, and a blunt point. The knife posted by Clusterfrack would likely work quite well.

Finger rings are not necessarily desired or avoided in dive knives, although in general retention in the hand underwater would be a strong consideration.

In addition to a knife (or instead of a knife depending on local laws), some divers carry a line cutter such as these:

https://www.mikesdivestore.com/collections/line-cutters

My line cutter is plastic, has two finger rings, and a hook at one end. The metal blade is inside the hook.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

The only blade I have similar is the ESEE Gibson Pinch:

Name:  IMG_2219.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  19.5 KB

The sheath is novel and kinda scary, but in neck carry/pocket carry it has never come loose. (There's a strong magnet embedded in the flat side.)

Site Supporter
    I wonder if companies that name all sorts of knives that aren’t bowies bowies know that that makes those knives illegal to carry in some states that have knife laws specifically against carrying Bowie knives that were written in the mid 1800’s.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I wonder if companies that name all sorts of knives that aren’t bowies bowies know that that makes those knives illegal to carry in some states that have knife laws specifically against carrying Bowie knives that were written in the mid 1800’s.
    It almost doesn't matter in many of those same states. Because the loose interpretation of 'weapon' tied to intent, they can really just make it about what your intentions were with the knife. Though carrying an 'illegal knife' may make it easier for them to claim knowledge of your intentions.

Then there are the crazy exceptions to various rules. Like, it's illegal to carry a switchblade in NY, unless you have a valid hunting or fishing license and are hunting or fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have one finger ring knife, and it's a CRKT Bear Claw on my kayak PFD.

Attachment 107845
    I can vouch for this knife in a rescue/ quick access sense. Utilized it during a situation when a rope was being tensioned uncontrollably and the stakes were reasonably high. Blunt tip for the win.

Probably better options related to self defense, but I would not hesitate to get another one of these for diving, kayaking, rope work, etc.

Nice thread with a few blades I’d never seen before. Probably stick to CP for now, for my needs.

MKM Mikro

I have no experience with this knife, M390 nor the manufacturer. Available with a variety of scale materials or skeleton. 4.33” overall , 1.97” blade, weighs 1 ounce. Not sure about the leather sheath and for around $100 I’m hesitant. Maybe one of you gentlemen can give it a go and report back.

Name:  IMG_3251.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  18.6 KB

http://https://www.amazon.com/Mikro-1-Fixed-Blade-MKMR01GBK/dp/B09L4DPLHF/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?crid=3KKAVGTUZR9W9&keywords=mkm%2Bm ikro%2Bg10&qid=1693126777&sprefix=mkm%2Bmikro%2Bg1 0%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-7&th=1&psc=1

How's about this Perrin?
    I did the para wrap.

I believe that it was around 39 bucks.

Name:  IMG_20230813_131314031.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  53.6 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

How's about this Perrin?
    I did the para wrap.

Name:  IMG_20230813_131314031.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  53.6 KB

It's about 38 bucks.

https://szaboinc.com/products/fred-perrin-s-chestnut
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Titanium Little Bird from Joe Watson.
    Name:  20230829_202446.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  51.1 KB

[QUOTE=Up1911Fan;1506351]Titanium Little Bird from Joe Watson.

Link?

User Tag List