Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny Fixed Blade Knives

Tiny Fixed Blade Knives

I have, for a week, been going down a rabbit hole looking for a specific tiny knife I saw passingly on Instagram. This was mainly to share given the recent mention of the Lil Loco.

I finally found it, but in interim, I think I've looked at damn near every production/semi-production fixed blade under 4" in overall length. Here is a list of things I found:

Max Knives/Fred Perrin - Shorty LaGriffe
    Max Knives/Fred Perrin - Pico LaGriffe
    Station IX - Tire Slasher
    Station IX - OSS Lapel Dagger
    Boker - Lil' Friend Micro
    MTech - 2092
    KaBar - TDI Last Ditch
    Schrade - Spare Change
    Cold Steel - Mini Pal

And finally - the knife I was looking for the whole time:

True - Mycro: https://true.acgbrands.com/en_US/mycro-knife.html

Name:  IMG_1459.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  32.5 KB

At all of 27 bucks at Bezos land - this looks like a real winner for the sub-4" overall length category. Sheath sucks. But that could be fixed.

TRUE MYCRO Utility Knife, Fixed Blade Every Day Carry Razor Knife, Compact Boxcutter Neck Knife with Sheath - Black https://a.co/d/cDwSAbM

Overall this looks to have a lot going for it.

I'm waiting for Tod Begg Knives to re-release the Tree Frog later this year.

That would be perfect placed behind an exposed magazine pouch for use in uniform. Even better if you sprayed it with flat black spray paint or tan to match your deputy shirt/navy blue to match your pork suit. Much better solution than the TDI knives that many guys used.

Site Supporter
    Could make a good companion to my SAK Minichamp.

Micro EDC Loadout:
    J-frame or LCR in 38
    SAK Minichamp
    Mycro Knife
    Yaesu VX-3r 2m HT

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I'm waiting for Tod Begg Knives to re-release the Tree Frog later this year.
    The Tree Frog is a nice design, but it's quite a bit larger than this little Mycro thing, which is ~3.5" overall length. The Tree Frog is 4.75". In my experience, once you get above 4.5" of overall length the difference between that and a 5.5" Clinch Pick is pretty negligible.

If someone wants something more "neck knife" than the Clinch Pick the Perrin/Janich Confusion would be a good choice:

In general though once you go above 4.5" of overall length there are 10x as many knife offerings as well. It's this sub-4" category where things are rare.

No knock on the Begg design, BTW. I like the Tree Frog and especially the scaled versions Todd has made over the years. Todd is also a nice guy in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    True - Mycro: https://true.acgbrands.com/en_US/mycro-knife.html

Name:  IMG_1459.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  32.5 KB

At all of 27 bucks at Bezos land - this looks like a real winner for the sub-4" overall length category. Sheath sucks. But that could be fixed.
    Very interesting, but you're right: that sheath looks like it needs a lot of improvement for that size knife.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Very interesting, but you're right: that sheath looks like it needs a lot of improvement for that size knife.
    Yes it's too big and clunky for the blade size. I get where they were coming from for a variety of attachment points. But I should be possible to come up with something that uses a DCC Mod 3 and is much smaller in footprint. That said the one thing the stock sheath does seem to have going for it is the draw angle, that up and out motion makes sense for the knife shape.

Site Supporter
    Name:  71D9287C-A96B-42C5-9ABE-A01CC97ED12F.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  74.1 KB
    I have this little bugger under my belt a-la CP style. Handle is a bit small and I needed to add a dcc clip, but for a hopefully never needed blade, it works fine for me. Softer steel easily sharpens to a razor finish.

CRKT SPEW

Always wanted to try a HAK for a last ditch blade. They used to advertise them mounted behind a suit coat lapel.

https://hideawayknife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Always wanted to try a HAK for a last ditch blade. They used to advertise them mounted behind a suit coat lapel.

https://hideawayknife.com/
    Imma take a pass on anything you put your fingers through ever since @Cecil Burch told me to Google "deglove".
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List