Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tiny Fixed Blade Knives

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    But the size and shape are interesting. I have no firm opinions yet, since this thing requires an entirely new sheath before it can be considered useful.
    Once I reached the stage where I found myself fumbling with anything smaller than an Izula or an alox Victorinox Soldier, I began to stand on the sidelines and content myself with observing things like this.

That is small... as in "superscript" small.

The first season of the Canadian TV show "Corner Gas" had an episode called "Cell Phone," that dealt with phone envy ("But mine is small right? I mean how small would you say is normal? You get an inaccurate idea because you see smaller ones in movies and magazines and stuff. But for a normal person's cell phone mine is small... smaller than average.").
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Once I reached the stage where I found myself fumbling with anything smaller than an Izula or an alox Victorinox Soldier, I began to stand on the sidelines and content myself with observing things like this.

That is small... as in "superscript" small.

The first season of the Canadian TV show "Corner Gas" had an episode called "Cell Phone," that dealt with phone envy ("But mine is small right? I mean how small would you say is normal? You get an inaccurate idea because you see smaller ones in movies and magazines and stuff. But for a normal person's cell phone mine is small... smaller than average.").
    I will admit that I think practical use cases for tools like this are fairly limited.

And I'm not sure it is any more practical an "NPE" tool than the various G10 shivs already in existence, which are larger, lighter, and non-magnetic. But there might be something for it here, I'll have to play around a bit and see.

The long(er) term plan is to bend up a new sheath on my visit to the FART Factory next month. But in the interim, since I can't leave well enough alone, I took this injection molded monstrosity and started working it over.

Step 1) Cut off the top of the sheath. This had the desires effect of reducing the far too strong stock retention and lowering the profile.

Step 2) Cut out the the bottom eyelet closest to the handle. This reduced retention a tad more and makes with a little shaping, a nice pocket hook.

NOW I have a sheath that is functional and able to be worked with and still has good retention.

Name:  IMG_1955.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  25.9 KB

The stock sheath. Which required to wrap the paracord around one hand and hold the handle and pull both arms apart to remove the knife.

Name:  IMG_1950.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  37.1 KB

Swipe for a draw video and my nasty essential tremor.

http://instagram.com/p/C0o7H8cLu8I/

Nice stealth mods, Rob.

PM me if you have a date for FART factory tour in mind. I’m unemployed for a couple of weeks pretty quick here, and might enjoy a road trip.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I've continued to futz with this off and on for the last couple of days.

This handle shape and size lends itself to a cigar style push grip, even though this is not a push knife. This translates into a firm grip edge up or edge down (pics). Which means you can carry it midline and not worry about the orientation of the edge when you draw. This also means draws are really positive and firm.

The handle shape does not allow edge-in in forward or reverse grip, only edge out. However, there is enough handle that I would feel confident in ramming this thing into things in RGEO, FGEO, or either of the cigar grips.

To me this is a more useful tool for certain circumstances (such as travel, business suit wear, beach wear, etc) where you want something LOW profile and something that you might not care if you have to toss it someplace or lose it. The blade measures in at exactly 1.5" and maximum length including the sheath is 4.25". It also offers more purchase than an OSS-style "thumb dagger" and more grip and draw options than a finger-ring knife.

While we're going to experiment with a FART sheath for it, I think chopping up the stock sheath is an easy way to go that doesn't add to the cost and makes this a $25 tosser.

Name:  IMG_1968.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1969.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1970.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1971.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  30.7 KB

Site Supporter
    I've been messing around with the True Mycro as well for the past few months (I got the idea from this thread back when OP first posted). I have found that with a couple of thin washers, one can attach the stock sheath to a Henry Holsters Mk 3 Enigma Adapter (using the stock hardware) and then run the knife on the weak side of an Enigma Express belt. Paired with an LCR (or something of similar size) you can run deep concealment setup with the gun and knife both below the belt line and both both quite accessible. It's a setup that I really like for myself.

Joe did the Little Bird for a group of folks. I have two. I'll dig them out and post pictures.

I pocket carry one in a watch pocket or on a neck cord.

I also have a little Warren Thomas carbon fiber and titanium neck knife. I'll post some pics of it. Very light weight and has a very low observable profile.

Packaging

My LGS sells the True Micro. One nice thing about it is that the packaging is devoid of references to stabbing, death, killing, etc. Very much a tool pitch in all the writing and illustrations on the package.

User Tag List