Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand Length to Gun Fit: A Case Study: RFI for Data on Hand Size (Part 1)

Hand Length to Gun Fit: A Case Study: RFI for Data on Hand Size (Part 1)

Since I started shooting approximately 10 years ago, I have not seen a good way to select a pistol based on ones physical hand size.

As far as I am aware, there is no industry standard numeric values for "small", "medium" or "large" handguns. Pistol manufacturers attempt to offer features to adjust to different hand sizes, such as grip panels, backstraps, or grip modules.

The methodology I plan to apply is first to gather anonymous information on hand sizes (Part 1). In Part 2, I will ask for input on handgun sizing, using a consistent method of measurement. Finally, in Part 3, I will attempt to compare/contrast the data on hand size, with the information on handgun size, and try to draw some conclusions, about placing commonly available handguns could be grouped in terms of Small, Medium, and Large.

I appreciate that this may be a fools errand, as handgun fit is not necessarily a significant indicator to how well one performs, shooting. I have learned that the hard way, with several costly mistakes. If you agree, feel free to ignore this thread. Nonetheless, I find this kind of numerical analysis interesting, and in particular, how/whether this might aid someone new to handguns, select a pistol for first use.

On to the nuts and bolts:

To have a metric to work with, I have selected item 57, "Hand Length", out of MIL-STD-1472D, Human Performance Engineering. I am familiar with 1472D from previous work in the Aerospace industry in applied Human Factors Engineering.

I picked Hand Length as being representative of "sizing", in terms of the ability to span a pistol grip, and reach the trigger surface with the crease or pad of the trigger finger. Hand length is also typically used in the glove industry for sizing purposes. This measurement is is depicted in the screen capture below, at left, and measures from the base of the palm to the tip of the middle finger.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-07-22 08-23-32.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  34.2 KB

So, with all that said, this thread, Part 1, is to collect, from volunteers, empirical data on hand sizes, within this forum's community. All data will be anonymously recorded, and only used to compare hand length data (Part 2) with handgun data, in Part 3. As a feature, once the data is entered, the table will calculate your percentile, compared to the values in MIL-STD-1472D.

For example:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-07-22 11-02-58.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  32.2 KB

Here you see data for one actual subject (me), as well as three "control" (imaginary) subjects. My hand size measures out at 25% centile. Makes sense, I am 5'6" and tend to have smaller features. Control 1, 2 and 3 represent imaginary hand lengths at roughly 50%, 75% and 95%, compared to the values in 1472D.

So: If you would like to participate in this case study, please comment back with the following information in this thread, or by private message:

DATA REQUESTED

Hand length: (inches or mm)
    Current Preferred Glove Size

M
    8.5"
    XL
    David S.

I think you are going to need more than one measurement. David has 8.5 and wears xl I have 8 and an xl carhart work glove is a tight fit and my fingers touch the end of the glove fingers on the inside. Custom grip makers I have talked to didnt ask for measurements. Herrets who say custom made to measurement used to ask for a hand tracing. Not sure what they do now
    With all that said if you are successful it will be legendary.
    M
    8”
    XXL
    Last edited by UNK; 07-22-2023 at 12:56 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Hand length: 7 3/8 inches
    Current Preferred Glove Size: XL/11 Short

My custom gloves from Vermont Glove Co. came in the above size. My next pair from them will be a 10.5 short with the little fingers extra short. A Beretta 92 DA pull is all Ican reach.

Hand length (#57) : 7.25”
    Glove size: XL due to a broad palm
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Male

#57 - 8.125"
    #58 - 4.512"
    #59 - 3.685"
    #61 - 1.229"

XL gloves. the cheapest SKD PIG gloves are the best fit P've ever had

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Custom grip makers I have talked to didnt ask for measurements. Herrets who say custom made to measurement used to ask for a hand tracing. Not sure what they do now
    My brother's stockmaker asked for hand tracings, and for him to go to a tailor and get a number of torso/arm measurements

M
    7 5/8
    XL
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My brother's stockmaker asked for hand tracings, and for him to go to a tailor and get a number of torso/arm measurements
    Custom fit stocks are awesome. Id say it would buy you a couple birds per hundred in trap.

https://www.armanov.com/blog/knowled...er-grip-size-1

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Since I started shooting approximately 10 years ago, I have not seen a good way to select a pistol based on ones physical hand size.

As far as I am aware, there is no industry standard numeric values for "small", "medium" or "large" handguns. Pistol manufacturers attempt to offer features to adjust to different hand sizes, such as grip panels, backstraps, or grip modules.

The methodology I plan to apply is first to gather anonymous information on hand sizes (Part 1). In Part 2, I will ask for input on handgun sizing, using a consistent method of measurement. Finally, in Part 3, I will attempt to compare/contrast the data on hand size, with the information on handgun size, and try to draw some conclusions, about placing commonly available handguns could be grouped in terms of Small, Medium, and Large.

I appreciate that this may be a fools errand, as handgun fit is not necessarily a significant indicator to how well one performs, shooting. I have learned that the hard way, with several costly mistakes. If you agree, feel free to ignore this thread. Nonetheless, I find this kind of numerical analysis interesting, and in particular, how/whether this might aid someone new to handguns, select a pistol for first use.

On to the nuts and bolts:

To have a metric to work with, I have selected item 57, "Hand Length", out of MIL-STD-1472D, Human Performance Engineering. I am familiar with 1472D from previous work in the Aerospace industry in applied Human Factors Engineering.

I picked Hand Length as being representative of "sizing", in terms of the ability to span a pistol grip, and reach the trigger surface with the crease or pad of the trigger finger. Hand length is also typically used in the glove industry for sizing purposes. This measurement is is depicted in the screen capture below, at left, and measures from the base of the palm to the tip of the middle finger.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-07-22 08-23-32.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  34.2 KB

So, with all that said, this thread, Part 1, is to collect, from volunteers, empirical data on hand sizes, within this forum's community. All data will be anonymously recorded, and only used to compare hand length data (Part 2) with handgun data, in Part 3. As a feature, once the data is entered, the table will calculate your percentile, compared to the values in MIL-STD-1472D.

For example:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-07-22 11-02-58.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  32.2 KB

Here you see data for one actual subject (me), as well as three "control" (imaginary) subjects. My hand size measures out at 25% centile. Makes sense, I am 5'6" and tend to have smaller features. Control 1, 2 and 3 represent imaginary hand lengths at roughly 50%, 75% and 95%, compared to the values in 1472D.

So: If you would like to participate in this case study, please comment back with the following information in this thread, or by private message:

DATA REQUESTED

Hand length: (inches or mm)
    Current Preferred Glove Size

User Tag List