Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Refinish a Les Baer

Help Me Refinish a Les Baer

I'm normally better at making plans and decisions, but this one is giving me analysis paralysis, so I thought I'd throw out a thread for those who are willing to weigh in (without clogging up an existing thread where maybe not everyone wants to play Tactical Barbie).

I have a Les Baer Premier II that I'm making some tweaks to before adopting as my primary carry pistol. Work includes my own reduction of the oversized left side safety, some massaging of sharp corners, replacing some parts, and direct milling for an EPS Carry. Some of that's done and some is to come, but it's all getting done and the pistol will need to be completely refinished after. On top of that, high-polish blue flats won't look right, to me, once it's wearing a flat black dot and VCD grips. The gun's use will be a lot of carry and a lot of shooting, pretty much exclusively out of kydex (mostly JMCK).

My initial plan, which is still in the running, was bead blast (or matte, whatever we want to call it) blue, finishing all parts besides the trigger, hammer, and barrel, for a classic look that's just a bit more "rugged" looking and will go well with the dot and grips. My hope is that this would be similar to the old Les Baer Ultimate Recon or the Alchemy Quantico.

Advantages: Can be redone as many times as I decide to in future as I put wear on the gun; worn blue always looks good; replacing parts if necessary should result in at least "close enough" color matching. Downsides: I've never carried a blued gun and don't know how well one will hold up to my sweat, and it gets hot and humid here with all this corn in Iowa.

I'm now considering Cerakoat in all black as an alternative that may be more rust-resistant if done by someone who applies it correctly. Going this route, I'd coat everything for a fully blacked out look.

Advantages: Potentially better corrosion resistance; all black 1911s are hot. Downsides: Unlike blue finishes, Cerakoat cannot be redone an infinite number of times; replacement parts may not match; worn Cerakoat can sometimes look like sad spray paint.

A third idea I toss around is a two-tone Cerakoat with a black top and either olive drab or medium grey frame, but that's all the same advantages and disadvantages as any coating job that just looks different. I've loved this look since lusting over Wilson Ultralight Carry models years ago, and constantly seeing @SW CQB 45 post his MCOP doesn't help.

Blue would have all the benefits and drawbacks you mention. Cerakote is an easy button, but on a Baer that you’ve made your own is (to me) a little impersonal.

One option would be a DLC coating. Very strong, and I’ve seen some DLC where when the metal is prepped right it looks phenomenal (contrasting polished and matte surfaces). Even if you did matte across the board it’s a strong professional and rust resistant looking finish. It’s also more expensive (I think) and may take longer to complete.

Hard chrome

Something about a HC Les Baer just looks right…they look better than other 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post

...was bead blast (or matte, whatever we want to call it) blue, finishing all parts besides the trigger, hammer, and barrel, for a classic look that's just a bit more "rugged" looking and will go well with the dot and grips. My hope is that this would be similar to the old Les Baer Ultimate Recon or the Alchemy Quantico.

Advantages: Can be redone as many times as I decide to in future as I put wear on the gun; worn blue always looks good; replacing parts if necessary should result in at least "close enough" color matching. Downsides: I've never carried a blued gun and don't know how well one will hold up to my sweat, and it gets hot and humid here with all this corn in Iowa.
    I am admittedly old school, but this is what I would pick.

Following the thread no matter what you end up doing. I have heard much about Baer's but have never so much as held one.

I agree that DLC might be a good route. Cerakote is fine, especially done by a really good applicator, but if you're leaning towards black/blued, DLC might be worth it.

Matte blue with polished flats (don't know if it can be done with DLC).

Just personal taste, but I'm not a fan of the look or feel of most Cerakote finishes I've handled. The MCOP look is an exception but I've never handled one.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Thanks for the input so far. I had considered DLC and HC and forgot to mention those. I think the labor costs would blow my budget. I'm also concerned that even after the work I'm putting in, there will still be something I want to change, which is varying degrees of easy/easier to do with blue and Cerakoat.

Probably still leaning all-matte blue, and if I want something different later after I'm 100% settled on parts choices I can go DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I have a Les Baer Premier II that I'm making some tweaks to before adopting as my primary carry pistol.

The gun's use will be a lot of carry and a lot of shooting, pretty much exclusively out of kydex (mostly JMCK).

My initial plan, which is still in the running, was bead blast (or matte, whatever we want to call it) blue, finishing all parts besides the trigger, hammer, and barrel, for a classic look that's just a bit more "rugged" looking and will go well with the dot and grips.

Advantages: Can be redone as many times as I decide to in future as I put wear on the gun; worn blue always looks good; ...
    Parkerizing.

Advantage: Also can be redone many times, and will look even better worn, and in line with the rugged Les Baer nature. It's wear look will look better than Cerakote

Disadvantage: Kydex will wear it quickly.

How about parkerizing? That would give you the mat black
    finish with plenty of durability. Cheap and can be done at home with a little garage kitchen.

I do really like the idea of mat blueing it too.
    Last edited by Skullybones; 07-22-2023 at 11:05 AM.

Site Supporter
    Park or bluing.

I love a 1911 with honest wear.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List