Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disclosing CCW to LEs?

Disclosing CCW to LEs?

LE members, do you want to know if someone you are around for an extended period (lunch in a cafe, summer concert in a park, etc.) has a CCW? I'm asking this as I'm concerned with friendly fire if something required me to draw. I'm in CA if that matters. Thanks.

Uhhh. No. Keep it to yourself and pay attention to your surroundings. Especially in CA.

It would be a 0.00001% situation where you would need to draw when there are uniformed LE around. You need to worry more about LE you don't see if you end up in a shooting.

Your goal is to never draw. Keep your head on a swivel and avoid trouble or undue attention.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Nope. Keep it to yourself.

Site Supporter
    I would agree that there is no need to disclose under those circumstances. Apart from being unnecessary, there is always the risk that you're strayed into some no-go zone from CCW which will be an inconvenience for both the LEO and you (especially you).

Problems are less likely to occur if uniform LEO's are present (though we can and do attract trouble). If something does occur, let the uniforms handle it.

Could something happen when a LEO would welcome the assistance of a CCW holder? Certainly that can and does happen, but you're no worse off than if you witnessed a similar event driving down the street rather than sitting in a cafe or at a concert.

Agreed with everyone else so far. If you’re an acquaintance of mine I don’t need to know if you have a CCW if we’re hanging out at a concert or a restaurant or something. If I see you printing I might ask what you’re carrying just out of curiosity and because I like to talk about guns with other gun people. If you’re in a professional encounter with LE such as a traffic stop, then make sure you know what the laws are in your area regarding mandatory disclosure to LE. Whenever you draw a gun in public, you assume some greater-than-0% chance that you get shot by another friendly. If you’re hanging out with an LE acquaintance and they end up having to draw a gun, you can always volunteer your CCW information and see what they would like you to do but I probably wouldn’t tell them otherwise.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    LE members, do you want to know if someone you are around for an extended period (lunch in a cafe, summer concert in a park, etc.) has a CCW? I'm asking this as I'm concerned with friendly fire if something required me to draw. I'm in CA if that matters. Thanks.
    Keep it to yourself.

The only time I would want to know is if I'm dealing with you or detaining you on a call for service. Please don't come up to me and tell me while I'm trying to eat my lunch and please don't point to your buddy and say, "He did it."

If there are a bunch of cops somewhere (concert, restaurant, etc.) and shooting starts don't draw and start shooting. Get yourself and your loved ones out of there.

If the cops are down and have been shot and you decide to intervene (absolute worst case scenario), then use common sense and make sure they know you are a good guy so you don't get shot. The Newhall Incident with CHP in 1970 comes to mind.

I have had an armed citizen jump in to help me before on a interrupted burglary call. I was driving to a burglary in progress call in the middle of the night when the suspect emerged from the backyard of a house a few streets over. I was by myself (everyone else was at or headed to the house he had just broken into) and challenged the guy, chased him briefly and tackled him. An alert homeowner who was getting ready to go to work heard the commotion, saw what was happening, grabbed his Beretta from his nightstand and stuck it in his waistband and jumped in to help me in the minute or two before other cops arrived. He just said, "I'm here to help you bud and and I'm armed." He helped me cuff the guy and as I caught my breathe I let everyone else know that I had a citizen helping me. No harm no foul. The guy used common sense and I was glad for the help.

He didn't have a CCW or anything, but he looked like a normal guy about to go to a job site, it was obvious what his intent was, and he had used good common sense.

Common sense is the operative phrase here.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    If something happens that causes you to think about pulling a gun, there will be three groups that might kill you: LEOs, bad guys, and other heroes.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

In addition to the above post.

Car stops & incidental contacts… keep the hands where I can see them and just tell me you have a carry permit and are armed. I’ll tell you how to proceed from there.

Social situations : don’t ask, don’t tell, don’t print.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    In addition to the above post.

Car stops & incidental contacts… keep the hands where I can see them and just tell me you have a carry permit and are armed. I’ll tell you how to proceed from there.

Social situations : don’t ask, don’t tell, don’t print.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    My perspective, unless required by law to notify (which isn't the case here in Florida), I'm not volunteering anything unless specifically asked if I am armed. The last time I was pulled over while carrying (circa 2009), I did notify the officer, who then opted to remove my gun from my ankle holster and unload it and the magazine before returning it to me and letting me go. That's a whole lot of unnecessary administrative gun-handling and while some cops might be gun guys, many are not, and I'd just as soon the gun stay securely and safely in the holster.

User Tag List