Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Choice

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    My first two cans were both 9 mm pistol cans. Bought the first one around 2005, second one around 2010. They were both made by well respected companies with awesome reviews on the internet back in that time frame.

Within a year of my purchases, both particular models were discontinued and in one case one of the companies went belly up and was purchased by another company.

There wasn't any warning given. There wasn't any you've got X number of months to get extra parts and supplies and accessories. They just completely shut down production. I don't know if it was Panic buying or if they just don't keep a lot of extra stuff hanging around but the parts and accessories and support disappeared absolutely instantaneously. I tried calling the companies directly to see if they had any suggestions and was treated quite rudely by both.

Maybe it's different these days, don't know.

Those two suppressors are basically stuck in the exact configuration they are in now.

I too am a Surefire and TBAC fan.
    This was the reason I went with Dead Air and YHM - both seem to be solid companies with staying power.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    This was the reason I went with Dead Air and YHM - both seem to be solid companies with staying power.
    YHM yes, Dead Air, no.

They've had a ton of problems lately, people waiting months for RMAs and being entirely ghosted by their CS. Their Sierra 5 suppressors with disintegrating baffles, welds blowing out on other models and DA just says "we got you" and nothing happens. One of their reps in the NFA group on reddit stopped answering peoples pleas for help and just deleted their reddit account all together.

They don't make anything, they just design things and contract out to shops that can't get anything right, most notably KGM, who cannot seem to put out a product without issues.

I wouldn't suggest Dead Air to anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    YHM yes, Dead Air, no.

They've had a ton of problems lately, people waiting months for RMAs and being entirely ghosted by their CS. Their Sierra 5 suppressors with disintegrating baffles, welds blowing out on other models and DA just says "we got you" and nothing happens. One of their reps in the NFA group on reddit stopped answering peoples pleas for help and just deleted their reddit account all together.

They don't make anything, they just design things and contract out to shops that can't get anything right, most notably KGM, who cannot seem to put out a product without issues.

Yeah I’ve also seen more than a few complaints about Dead Air recently. Definitely reaffirms my plans to only go with very well established companies when it comes to cans. People have complained about SureFire’s CS before but I’ve used it a few times for lights and had good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Started w/ can's in 2004 when not as many choices, went direct thread w/ Gemtech & SWR but sold most after a short period w/ only a 5.56 GemTech Trek-T & .22 SWR left but starting over I'd go TABC or SF today.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    My first two cans were both 9 mm pistol cans. Bought the first one around 2005, second one around 2010. They were both made by well respected companies with awesome reviews on the internet back in that time frame.

Within a year of my purchases, both particular models were discontinued and in one case one of the companies went belly up and was purchased by another company.

There wasn't any warning given. There wasn't any you've got X number of months to get extra parts and supplies and accessories. They just completely shut down production. I don't know if it was Panic buying or if they just don't keep a lot of extra stuff hanging around but the parts and accessories and support disappeared absolutely instantaneously. I tried calling the companies directly to see if they had any suggestions and was treated quite rudely by both.

Maybe it's different these days, don't know.

Those two suppressors are basically stuck in the exact configuration they are in now.

I too am a Surefire and TBAC fan.
    I’ve never used their services but you should look up Ecco Machine for after market support. They make their own suppressors but they’ll also re-core or change mounts on other manufacturers suppressors. They’ll take a sure fire trainer cut the mount off and adapt it for hub use. I’ve also read about some folks send in suppressors with permanently attached mounts (sandman and razor) and Ecco with remove the mount and thread it so it can be used with any hub comparable mount.

https://www.eccomachine.net/ecco-mac...rvices/4089-2/

Site Supporter
    YHM yes, Dead Air, no.

The silencer industry is full of drama and I have no idea why but it’s always been this way.

Sierra 5’s are having issues - DA hasn’t released a recall. Potentially can’t (my speculation) and used manufacturing partners. They’re standing up QA in Utah. I think their manufacturing partners have caused issues and they changed one once for that reason. I think they’re working on in-housing stuff.

Dead Air Dom left Reddit because it’s Reddit and guys are just posting pictures of Sierra 5’s asking if they’re good to go now.

Call me a dead air fan boy, but I think they make awesome cans. They took a different route on giving manufacturing to other partners to scale up. It seems their partners have been having issues with weld quality. I wouldn’t recommend a KGM silencer after this as they’re making lots of Dead Air cans.

It is what it is. Kevin sold AAC to Remington to scale after getting so much heat for constantly being back ordered (and money). Then they fired him (because no one will finance silencer companies often now). Dead air tried to bypass scaling by using partners and it has its own issues.

TLDR - Sierra 5 weld quality is spotty recently. They for some reason haven’t issued a recall but they are warranting them.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Ouch! I’m seeing more and more complaints about Dead Air. I wish I had seen this before I ordered! I just got two Dead Air cans out of jail, and I haven’t even tried them yet. Ughhh….

YHM yes, Dead Air, no.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    Ouch! I’m seeing more and more complaints about Dead Air. I wish I had seen this before I ordered! I just got two Dead Air cans out of jail, and I haven’t even tried them yet. Ughhh….
    Well let us know. I have one waiting transfer with about 500-ish rounds through it no worries. It’s the Dead Air Mask.

I was thinking about a Wolf Man SD as well but I think I’m good for a bit.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Dead Air is Hypebeast crud.

Their Nomad sounds good but that's about it.

The Sandman series is overbuilt and not really all that great sounding on any host. Subjectively, the tone that those cans put out is absolutely horrid.

Keymo is loved by many for whatever reason. I had four keymo mounts that would never stay tight on any of their muzzle devices. My Sandman K is nigh worthless.

My wolfman was three times the cost of my Rex Silentium MG7's and the MG7's sound better on a variety of hosts.

If I could do it all again I would go with the following:

Surefire RC2 for 5.56 guns.
    Surefire RC2 7.62

This covers all of your 5.56 needs as well as .30 cal desires.

It's not the "best" of either world but the cans are stupid durable and the mount is a genuinely good one.

The budget option would be the following:

YHM T3
    YHM R2

Again, you've got your durable 5.56 can with excellent sound performance as well as a .30 cal suppressor that will perform well.

IF you needed a 9mm can for a sub gun and had no plans to stick it on a pistol, I would throw in a .358 bore rex Silentium MG7. I am beyond pleased with their offerings.

IF you needed a 9mm can for pistol use that could double as a rifle can, I would get a Griffin Bushwacker 36.

Ultimately, if you really get into cans, you're going to spend money on alot of weird stuff lol.

Unless you're looking for organizational duty use or flow-through designs, I can't find a reason to buy anything other than the YHM cans.

With that said, I feel like we might be at an inflection point where flow-through designs are about to become more popular and cheaper...maybe YHM will produce one for $400...and so I've been holding off on buying more cans.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List