Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not the .38 Special 158 grain LSWC?

Site Supporter

Why not the .38 Special 158 grain LSWC?

I understand the thought process behind using .38 wadcutters over modern hollow points or instead of something like the 158 grain LSWCHP +P in some revolvers but why are we using them over the standard pressure .38 158 grain LSWC? Especially once you get to “full power” 148 grain wadcutters meant for defense you aren’t saving much, if any, in recoil. I would think you would still get the straight line penetration we want from the LSWC load. That said I don’t have any first hand field experience (street or hunting) with the load so I figured I would ask.

I’m sure this has been covered somewhere and I missed it so a link to an existing post is fine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I understand the thought process behind using .38 wadcutters over modern hollow points or instead of something like the 158 grain LSWCHP +P in some revolvers but why are we using them over the standard pressure .38 158 grain LSWC? Especially once you get to “full power” 148 grain wadcutters meant for defense you aren’t saving much, if any, in recoil. I would think you would still get the straight line penetration we want from the LSWC load. That said I don’t have any first hand field experience (street or hunting) with the load so I figured I would ask.

I’m sure this has been covered somewhere and I missed it so a link to an existing post is fine.

Anyone I can think of who talks about using wadcutters is using very soft recoiling stuff like Federal GMM?

There's little practical difference between the two. Both the wadcutter and the LSWC will tend towards straight line penetration with the wadcutter producing slightly more damage per unit length of distance traveled.

After that, hitting vital anatomy until achieving the desired result is probably a wiser perspective best addressed with quality training. @JCN can offer helpful insight in that regard.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I often carry wn-swc in .38, .357, 45acp, and 45 colt.

My favorite swc load for the .38 is a max amount of be-86 behind a 158gr swc for 1000fps from a 4" gun
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

From a light snub, the light loaded HBWC target loads are easier to shoot well. Full power 158gr LSWC, or wadcutter loads or the +P versions will recoil a lot more in a small/light gun, which is why the HBWC target stuff is suggested for things like Airweight J's. From larger, heavier guns they start to make more sense, but at that point, the modern +P JHP loads or a LSWC-HP +P loads start making more sense than either the light HBWC or plain SWC.

I'd take a SWC shaped bullet over a round nose every day, if I couldn't use good JHP for some reason. You'll likely have a lot of penetration, but better too much than not enough, IMHO.

Site Supporter
    So in absence of target wadcutters something like 158-grain-lswc-remington-performance-wheelgun could be a reasonable choice in an older or lighter revolver?

So in absence of target wadcutters something like 158-grain-lswc-remington-performance-wheelgun could be a reasonable choice in an older or lighter revolver?
    This would be another option.

https://www.luckygunner.com/38-speci...eral-20-rounds
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Following, as it's time for me to buy another box of .38 for my LCR.

I have been using Federal GMM since about 2021, for reasons which escape at the moment. I dimly recall Chuck Haggard (?) suggesting WC's out of a snubby, since HPs won't necessarily expand anyway, and the shape of a WC is better than a round nose bullet. Also, I believe there's a Lucky Gunner test video on WCs, in which the GMM was the highest velocity of the four he tested? So far the GMM is fine, but I am not thrilled to shoot my LCR "for fun". I do shoot a few rounds each month, but anything zippier than what I have is not desirable, for me, really.

Anyway, like I said, I'll keep quiet now, but am interested in the suggestions here.

With NJ now supposedly issuing CCW licenses, I was recently wondering how a LSWC would work in that scenario, given the hollow point restrictions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Lucky Gunner’s testing of that 110 load showed an average penetration of 12.7” and zero expansion from a 2” barrel. What is the advantage of it over standard pressure 158 gr LSWC in a lightweight snub?

User Tag List