Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why not the .38 Special 158 grain LSWC?

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    So you would carry the 110 load over 148 wadcutters?

One advantage, at least in theory, premium self defense ammunition has is that the quality control should be better and more consistent round to round.
    A lot of people including me dont. You really need to find the old wadcutter threads and decide for yourself. Theres a pic in there somewhere of a couple of shots on a dead deer. One of the shots was to the skull. It looked like the skull had been drilled and when it exited the other side of the skull brain that had been turned to pulp was oozing out. The wadcutters are less likely to deflect and just cut straight through. The rule is if you cant have expansion go for penetration. Theres another pic to go along with the skull pic of the deer shot in the rib cage. It drilled through the ribs on both sides then I think exited into the dirt under the deer.
    There are a couple of fellows on here, both combat vets and they prefer hardcast. One of them @Lost River has his own ammo company if he doesnt have what you want I think he will load it for you.
    Im not an SME Im repeating what I have learned from SMEs here. I pocket carry a J frame. If I have to use it I expect its doing to be pretty up close and personal. Its not going to be a shot across a food court. A LEO on here who has studied fatal shootings has documentation of a pocket gun being used successfully against a drawn gun. Another SME on here has posted a video of himself doing a sub one second draw and shoot from a pocket. Youre not going to get to a pocket gun from a sitting position thats why some guys, usually a cop, ankle carry. Actually Lost River relayed a story to me about a time when he was a LEO and some scumbag approached his window when he was sitting in his patrol car. The scumbag lost the element of surprise whe LR drew an ankle carried J frame on him.
    As I said search for the threads, theres a ton of info in there for you to decide for yourself.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    GKR was responding to a question about target wadcutters and auto glass, and he replied from memory (paraphrasing) about 9 inches of penetration from a 2 inch barrel (j-frame)

No doubt it was probably just a glob
    This is also true of JHPs. Laminated automotive glass is hard on all designs, as it is a high hardness medium that chews up (via abrasion) the relatively 'soft' lead- and copper-based alloys used in handgun bullet construction as they pass through it at 800 - 1,400 fps.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

As a side note, if I was expecting any barrier I would choose something with more than five rounds capacity...

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    As a side note, if I was expecting any barrier I would choose something with more than five rounds capacity...
    Well, besides the point that we don't get to choose when we have barriers or not...

...bullets that perform well through those barriers tend to perform well in actual shootings. It's a good standard to seek regardless if one is gifted enough to predict they'll never have to shoot through auto glass.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    So you would carry the 110 load over 148 wadcutters?

One advantage, at least in theory, premium self defense ammunition has is that the quality control should be better and more consistent round to round.
    My preference is 1) barrier blind JHP, 2) JHP (HydraShok, Silvertip, LSWCHP, etc), 3) WC/SWC. My reasoning is this: back in the day we had Silvertips, HydraShok, and whatever else, and they stopped the clocks of many a bad guy. There are valid reasons for carrying WC, and I don't think you'll die based on which you choose.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Not departed, just incredibly busy working 12+ hour days.

As noted above, this thread has great information: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....snubnose-carry

TGS's statement above is quite accurate and offers good guidance; the Schwartz has some good comments as well.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 07-23-2023 at 10:01 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    In a word, 'no'.

At typical ordnance velocities (>450fps), the temporary cavity produced by the LSWC's meplat is large enough (about 2.00 - 2.50 inches in diameter) that the shoulder of the LSWC will never make contact with the target medium rendering the shoulder's geometry and sharpness irrelevant in the wounding process. Where maximum cutting (shear) diameter is desired, a hardcast wadcutter with a BHN ≥16 is recommended to ensure that the leading edge of the wadcutter remains sharp along the entire length of the permanent cavity.
    That was the rationale of the LBT WFN (Wide Flat Nose) bullet. The little bit of ogive was supposed to hold up better at long range than a wadcutter and give more powder space, but the large diameter meplat did the work on man or beast.
    The Lee mold in post 13 is pretty close.

I went to the LBT www and saw that their machine shop burned down on Christmas Eve last, destroying Veral Smith's purpose built equipment. At his age, they do not plan to build back.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    A lot of people including me dont. You really need to find the old wadcutter threads and decide for yourself. Theres a pic in there somewhere of a couple of shots on a dead deer. One of the shots was to the skull. It looked like the skull had been drilled and when it exited the other side of the skull brain that had been turned to pulp was oozing out. The wadcutters are less likely to deflect and just cut straight through. The rule is if you cant have expansion go for penetration. Theres another pic to go along with the skull pic of the deer shot in the rib cage. It drilled through the ribs on both sides then I think exited into the dirt under the deer.
    There are a couple of fellows on here, both combat vets and they prefer hardcast. One of them @Lost River has his own ammo company if he doesnt have what you want I think he will load it for you.
    Im not an SME Im repeating what I have learned from SMEs here. I pocket carry a J frame. If I have to use it I expect its doing to be pretty up close and personal. Its not going to be a shot across a food court. A LEO on here who has studied fatal shootings has documentation of a pocket gun being used successfully against a drawn gun. Another SME on here has posted a video of himself doing a sub one second draw and shoot from a pocket. Youre not going to get to a pocket gun from a sitting position thats why some guys, usually a cop, ankle carry. Actually Lost River relayed a story to me about a time when he was a LEO and some scumbag approached his window when he was sitting in his patrol car. The scumbag lost the element of surprise whe LR drew an ankle carried J frame on him.
    As I said search for the threads, theres a ton of info in there for you to decide for yourself.
    Thanks for hitting me up for the conversation.

To jump right to the details.

I do produce a 158 grain poly-coat semi wadcutter in a .38 +P load. It is a true +P and not recommended for aluminum framed revolvers. It is fine for any .357 chambered guns.

Velocities as follows:

6" Security Six: 1200 FPS
    4" Model 15: 1115
    1 &7/8ths : 1020 FPS

There was another thread I read here recently where someone was inquiring about a 158 grain loads (maybe it was hot 148 wadcutters, I can't remember exactly), but I did not feel it was appropriate to bring up that I had what they were looking for. I am still dealing with some personal issues on the home front (that has literally been dragging on well over a year now), and have not paid to advertise here, so I did not want to overstep my place. I consider the majority of the people here to be friends I simply have not met yet (though I have talked to a number on the phone), and I appreciate that LL lets me discuss some things. I try to keep such things limited until my personal issues get resolved and I can buy an ad space and go full speed with the business.

That said, the above heavy SWC load is a smoker. I keep a 4" gun loaded with it, and there is a guy over on the 24hr Campfire who reported shooting Whitetail deer with the ammo. he stated complete penetration, not recovering the bullet.

In the interest of always being straight with people, if you are looking for J Frame ammo. This is not the best choice unless it is an all steel S&W. Not a Charter Arms, Rossi or similar. Frankly I found the recoil to be uncomfortable when I did my chrono testing. I suggest the standard or heavy wadcutters as an alternative for aluminum framed 5 shot snubbies.

Great load for a 2.5" Model 19 K frame though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Thanks for hitting me up for the conversation.

To jump right to the details.

I do produce a 158 grain poly-coat semi wadcutter in a .38 +P load. It is a true +P and not recommended for aluminum framed revolvers. It is fine for any .357 chambered guns.

Velocities as follows:

6" Security Six: 1200 FPS
    4" Model 15: 1115
    1 &7/8ths : 1020 FPS

There was another thread I read here recently where someone was inquiring about a 158 grain loads (maybe it was hot 148 wadcutters, I can't remember exactly), but I did not feel it was appropriate to bring up that I had what they were looking for. I am still dealing with some personal issues on the home front (that has literally been dragging on well over a year now), and have not paid to advertise here, so I did not want to overstep my place. I consider the majority of the people here to be friends I simply have not met yet (though I have talked to a number on the phone), and I appreciate that LL lets me discuss some things. I try to keep such things limited until my personal issues get resolved and I can buy an ad space and go full speed with the business.

That said, the above heavy SWC load is a smoker. I keep a 4" gun loaded with it, and there is a guy over on the 24hr Campfire who reported shooting Whitetail deer with the ammo. he stated complete penetration, not recovering the bullet.

In the interest of always being straight with people, if you are looking for J Frame ammo. This is not the best choice unless it is an all steel S&W. Not a Charter Arms, Rossi or similar. Frankly I found the recoil to be uncomfortable when I did my chrono testing. I suggest the standard or heavy wadcutters as an alternative for aluminum framed 5 shot snubbies.

Great load for a 2.5" Model 19 K frame though.

What is polycoat? It's not like moly coated bullets is it? More like Nyclad?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Not departed, just incredibly busy working 12+ hour days.

As noted above, this thread has great information: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....snubnose-carry

TGS's statement above is quite accurate and offers good guidance; the Schwartz has some good comments as well.
    This is good news, Doc, as I am pleased to hear that reports of your death have been greatly exaggerated.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List