Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Short barrel AR noise levels

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    DB is logarithmic. 3 DB is a doubling of sound pressure. Whether we perceive that increase is subject to a lot of psychoacoustic chicanery, but 3db is nothing to sneeze at.

On the subject of HP, I make my living with my ears, and I always foam plug under E-muffs. If you’re indoors, and you are not doubling up, you’re wrong. And, yes, bone induction is a thing. We only have one set of eyes and ears. Best live like that’s the truth. JMO.
    I’ve doubled up both indoors and outdoors for years, and I also wear foamies when I play out (very infrequent these days.) I’ve made it to 60 with no tinnitus despite the best efforts of a succession of loud drummers and my own shooting.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

DB is logarithmic. 3 DB is a doubling of sound pressure. Whether we perceive that increase is subject to a lot of psychoacoustic chicanery, but 3db is nothing to sneeze at.

On the subject of HP, I make my living with my ears, and I always foam plug under E-muffs. If you’re indoors, and you are not doubling up, you’re wrong. And, yes, bone induction is a thing. We only have one set of eyes and ears. Best live like that’s the truth. JMO.
    Ditto. I've gotten in the habit of doing foam electronic plugs under E-muffs. That way, if I need to I can bluetooth a timer beep directly to my electronic plugs under my muffs.

Basically I can choose what and whom I want to hear.

My best understanding of the noxiousness of the SBR 5.56 has to do with the direction of noise rather than the volume of noise itself.

It also probably helps to define the terms and standards of which traditional sound testing occurs.

When I was trying to sort out how loud things were, most of the "industry standard" is 1 m offset of the muzzle.

So you can imagine how that might differ from shooter's ear and that also might differ from the side depending on the muzzle brake or compensator the gun was fitted with (that's why I bought a sound meter so I could test at my ear and in environments that might affect reverberation and reflection).

My impression is that's where a lot of the noxiousness of the SBR comes from, especially laterally on the range.

If you were getting shot at... it would probably sound the same, lol.

My 11.5" MCX got a lot more tolerable after I swapped a brake for a directed birdcage. Less sound waves hitting my chest, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve made it to 60 with no tinnitus despite the best efforts of a succession of loud drummers and my own shooting.
    Too late for me, a lifetime of music has left me with tinnitus that would drown out your mother in law on a bender.

That's part of why I've sold off my .327 fed wheelies, and most of my .357s. And my AR is a .300 Black.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Too late for me, a lifetime of music has left me with tinnitus that would drown out your mother in law on a bender.
    I’m sorry, can you type louder please?

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Has anyone here had any experience with the Black River Tactical Covert Comp or similar muzzle widgets intended to reduce the concussion to the shooter and bystanders?

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BR...5-56-p33189471

Reviews seemed to indicate it works to some degree.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I don't see too many short barrel rifles, but I do see (and hear) some obnoxious muzzle devices. As mentioned upthread, I think brake, compensator, and flash hider design has a huge impact on how obnoxious a rifle is to other shooters.

Also a member of the foamies under e-muffs crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Has anyone here had any experience with the Black River Tactical Covert Comp or similar muzzle widgets intended to reduce the concussion to the shooter and bystanders?

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BR...5-56-p33189471

Reviews seemed to indicate it works to some degree.
    I have one on my 10.5” 5.56. It definitely reduces concussion while shooting, but bystanders report it’s still really loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I have one on my 10.5” 5.56. It definitely reduces concussion while shooting, but bystanders report it’s still really loud.
    It also produces more flash than a A2 birdcage.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

It would be interesting to see the pressure waveform behind and at the side of a rifle with a brake.

My impression is that there are two issues that make it unpleasant. One is the peak loudness of the sound. The other is the blast, even if the ears are well protected. It feels like a slap in the face. I’ve seen people’s hats get blown off. When I’ve had to spot someone with a nasty brake, having a ruck in between seems to help.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I was just at a range where a guy was shooting a short barrel 308 and no silencer. It was horrible. I double up everywhere I shoot because of tinnitus. Loud sharp noises are like someone drove an ice pick into my ear. Higher frequency female voices, yappy little dogs and silverware clatter in a busy restaurant have the same effect.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List