Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The .45 win mag

The .45 win mag

Name:  8EiTXO.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  96.1 KB
    Ive stated before that shooting .45acp in my .45 colt mountain gun I lose a lot of speed due to the chambers.

.45 colt moon clips are fragile and .45 colt brass is very inconsistent.

Now I think with the .45 win mag brass it will fit acp moon clips and the colts cylinder better.

Does anyone have any experience loading for it? I won't be shooting factory ammo and just looking for 270gr@950fps
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Why not just use 45LC instead of 45 Win Mag? I can't imagine that 45 Long Colt brass is more expensive than 45 Win Mag...if your revolver will withstand 45WM pressures, it'll withstand 45LC loaded stout, too.

Yes, you probably won't be able to buy factory 45LC loads that can match factory 45WM loads; it's purely a handloader's domain if you want to wring that much performance out of a 45LC...but I really can't imagine it would be more expensive than doing the same with 45WM?

Edit - is it purely because of inconsistent brass (just buy starline then?) and moon clips?

It just seems (to me) that 45WM is a more expensive and more roundabout way of getting to the same place 45LC will get you with a single source of brass, and just living with/buying LC moon clips..

Deleted. You have a 45 revolver so never mind.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-20-2023 at 02:30 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Why not just use 45LC instead of 45 Win Mag? I can't imagine that 45 Long Colt brass is more expensive than 45 Win Mag...if your revolver will withstand 45WM pressures, it'll withstand 45LC loaded stout, too.

Yes, you probably won't be able to buy factory 45LC loads that can match factory 45WM loads; it's purely a handloader's domain if you want to wring that much performance out of a 45LC...but I really can't imagine it would be more expensive than doing the same with 45WM?

Edit - is it purely because of inconsistent brass (just buy starline then?) and moon clips?

It just seems (to me) that 45WM is a more expensive and more roundabout way of getting to the same place 45LC will get you with a single source of brass, and just living with/buying LC moon clips..
    Starline brass isn't great with the moon clips either. Out of 15 or so .45 colt moon clips I have 4 that work ok but they're still looser than I'd like. I reached out to tk customs and they sent me some free ones to try out to no avail.

They are also significantly thinner than ACP moon clips.

I'm just thinking of getting 100.

45 acp moon clips don't always work as advertised either. The very best solution is to not use them. I use them with my 625-8 but I'm thinking that revolver wasn't the best decision I ever made. I'm a yuge fan of 45 acp and shoot it in a Gold Cup and HK45. Just puts smile on my face every time I shoot it.

My problem wasn't moon clips but bullet migration (pulled) using a revolver. So if one looks at revolver bullets and semi-auto bullets you will see there is no crimp groove on Semi-auto bullets. That's because you don't need one. You do however with revolver bullets because they get some serious jolts from other cartridges lighting off in the same magazine, so to speak.

If I had it to do over, I would have a 44 special, or maybe a 44 mag revolver that I could download to 1000 fps. I'm sure I could find the right bullet and powder to do that. That and 357 has to be the most versatile revolver cartridge's in existence.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    45 acp moon clips don't always work as advertised either. The very best solution is to not use them. I use them with my 625-8 but I'm thinking that revolver wasn't the best decision I ever made. I'm a yuge fan of 45 acp and shoot it in a Gold Cup and HK45. Just puts smile on my face every time I shoot it.

My problem wasn't moon clips but bullet migration (pulled) using a revolver. So if one looks at revolver bullets and semi-auto bullets you will see there is no crimp groove on Semi-auto bullets. That's because you don't need one. You do however with revolver bullets because they get some serious jolts from other cartridges lighting off in the same magazine, so to speak.

If I had it to do over, I would have a 44 special, or maybe a 44 mag revolver that I could download to 1000 fps. I'm sure I could find the right bullet and powder to do that. That and 357 has to be the most versatile revolver cartridge's in existence.
    I haven't had any bullet pull yet.

But that's exactly what I'm going to be doing. Loading mid range .45 colt loads into win mag brass to be able to better utilize the better moon clips.

Strickly my opinion, I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure that the Win Mag will work better for you than the Long Colt. I agree with your assessment 100%.

What is the .45 WSM?

SAAMI MAP for .45 Win Mag is 41,500 PSI.

I can’t imagine any reputable gunsmith doing that conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

I'm just going to use win mag brass to mimic my .45 colt loads to better utilize moon clips

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

As I understand it, the revolver in question is .45 ACP/.45 Colt cylinder. It's basically a .45 ACP moon clip cylinder that's also factory bored out to .45 Colt length. The moon clips keep the .45 ACP cartridges up against the breech face in order to fire, but .45 Colt can use either moon clips or just seat against the chamber lip in order to headspace. Therefore, the OP is asking whether .45 WM brass would work. I agree with the others that it probably will. He should try it out and report back.

As I've mentioned a couple of times, try Rimz plastic moon clips. They make the whole process of loading a shooting .45 ACP so easy. They're kinda expensive, but well worth it.

My problem with moonclips is that I an 8 shot 357 N frame 627 and 327. The moonclips are a super PITA because the groove dimensions of .38/.357 brass varies so much. I would pay additional money to convert these revolvers back to conventional loading. Speedloaders are just fine for me.

Does anyone know a way to convert moonclipped cylinders back?

User Tag List