Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjustment Issues Holosun 507 ACSS

@rdtompki

Some overall thoughts:

1. Your suspicion when initially mounting was correct. If you have BUIS lined up, presuming there's minimal parallax... you should be able to line the dot with the front sight regardless of deck height as long as you're looking at it with the BUIS aligned.

2. The mounting options for 2011s (and revolvers) seem to be particularly sensitive to running out of adjustment, presumably because of the higher optic over bore mounting. I think I remember the original Jpoint revolver mounts shipping with a 1deg shim included for this very reason.

3. Having a few of those shims lying around in the tool kit is cheap insurance. This can come into play on other height over bore applications (like 22LR rifles and such). I've had it be an issue with a 507c on a cheapo blowback PCC.

4. In a pinch, I have used a folded piece of aluminum foil as a graded shim. It works well and compresses down. You can throw one on, slave to your BUIS and rock on until Amazon delivers your shim.

5. While a limitation of the particular optic characteristics, it's not a flaw that can be repaired in general by sending back to the manufacturer so a shim is the best bet. I've used shims often and never an issue with reliability of fidelity or mounting.

Hope this helps!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @rdtompki

Some overall thoughts:

1. Your suspicion when initially mounting was correct. If you have BUIS lined up, presuming there's minimal parallax... you should be able to line the dot with the front sight regardless of deck height as long as you're looking at it with the BUIS aligned.

2. The mounting options for 2011s (and revolvers) seem to be particularly sensitive to running out of adjustment, presumably because of the higher optic over bore mounting. I think I remember the original Jpoint revolver mounts shipping with a 1deg shim included for this very reason.

3. Having a few of those shims lying around in the tool kit is cheap insurance. This can come into play on other height over bore applications (like 22LR rifles and such). I've had it be an issue with a 507c on a cheapo blowback PCC.

4. In a pinch, I have used a folded piece of aluminum foil as a graded shim. It works well and compresses down. You can throw one on, slave to your BUIS and rock on until Amazon delivers your shim.

5. While a limitation of the particular optic characteristics, it's not a flaw that can be repaired in general by sending back to the manufacturer so a shim is the best bet. I've used shims often and never an issue with reliability of fidelity or mounting.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the link for the shims - I have one gun that "barely" zero'd, and this will give a little lee-way and peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Thanks for the link for the shims - I have one gun that "barely" zero'd, and this will give a little lee-way and peace of mind.
    You’re welcome! I know a lot because I’ve failed a lot!

In a pinch, this is kind of the general amount of aluminum foil shimming. Doesn’t need much.

Name:  IMG_3400.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  43.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_3401.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  38.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3402.jpg
Size:  47.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3403.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  44.6 KB

From the side:
    Name:  IMG_3404.jpg
Size:  17.8 KB

So the very front gets 8 layers, front 1/4 gets 4 layers and the rear of the optic gets zero layers.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    You’re welcome! I know a lot because I’ve failed a lot!

In a pinch, this is kind of the general amount of aluminum foil shimming. Doesn’t need much.

Name:  IMG_3400.jpg
Size:  43.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_3401.jpg
Size:  38.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3402.jpg
Size:  47.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3403.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  44.6 KB

From the side:
    Name:  IMG_3404.jpg
Size:  17.8 KB

So the very front gets 8 layers, front 1/4 gets 4 layers and the rear of the optic gets zero layers.
    I can't believe you didn't just Dremel the optic, the slide, the plate, or all of the above. You're slacking!

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I can't believe you didn't just Dremel the optic, the slide, the plate, or all of the above. You're slacking!
    Shhhhhh! I'm trying to ease them into JCN's school of Bubba Gunsmithing! I'm starting them off with tin foil... then we go to E6000 and Dremels next!

It does remind me of this thread....

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1450212

Ordered a shim. 1 deg. at 20 yards wold give me 12" or so of offset, more than enough. Makes me wonder how close the ACSS is to the limit. I do like the circle reticles with or w/o the dot. Using a circle the dot is really redundant.
    Further bad news: my wife wants to try the RDS on one of her Mamba-X; currently running C-More Railway.

Thanks, all, for the really helpful input.

I've mentioned this somewhat in another thread, but 1° is a lot more than most people realize.

1° = 60 MOA

60" at 100 yards
    30" at 50 yards
    15" at 25 yards
    6" at 10 yards

...etc.

User Tag List