Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen Y/Z shooter trends

... and people make fun of IDPA?

Even in class, I don't get the whole battle belt & drop leg thing. I'm not a fan of the external vest carrier in the cop world - for a number of reasons.

Yes, I've got a couple of duty belt set-ups, my actual duty belt, and then a teaching/training rig. And I have two sets of armor within arms reach - one for work, the other for teaching if its for the class or range.

That said, if it gets them out shooting and to the range, I may smile & chuckle but I'll not to get too spun up.

I wear EDC for IDPA and a battle belt/plate carrier for 3-gun, but mainly because it's leftovers from contracting and it's my monthly reminder to not get nostalgic.

I really don't get the poo poo of plate carriers. If there is a riot or civil issue in my city, my plate carrier with rifle rated plates is getting staged with my carbine.. I get the full battle rattle and training for red dawn thing but I view it the same way I view first aid. A lot of us carry and train with medical just in case. I rather have rifle rated plates if I am at a higher risk of a shooting taking place. I guess a different mindset.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I really don't get the poo poo of plate carriers. If there is a riot or civil issue in my city, my plate carrier with rifle rated plates is getting staged with my carbine.. I get the full battle rattle and training for red dawn thing but I view it the same way I view first aid. A lot of us carry and train with medical just in case. I rather have rifle rated plates if I am at a higher risk of a shooting taking place. I guess a different mindset.

Or does being overt (rifle and plates) make you a target to begin with when you might not otherwise have been?

I think the answer is impossibly situational and I'd never poo poo anyone for having multiple options.

As long as we are discussing trends, the hooded sun shirt has become the default upper garment that I see at matches and the range.

Back to battle belts -- I like them and a Safariland ALS for running a chain saw and similar tools around our remote cabin, and training in the rain and very cold conditions. Out and about, I find AIWB protects the pistol better, is lighter weight, and doesn't broadcast having a firearm.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Or does being overt (rifle and plates) make you a target to begin with when you might not otherwise have been?

I think the answer is impossibly situational and I'd never poo poo anyone for having multiple options.

If I was leaving my home, I would be concealing a hk lem and carrying a spare mag. If I'm hardening up at home and defending the homestead, pc gets the nod. I may also be weird where I have a bug out set up for my family incase of an emergency and my plate carrier and extra supplies live in a deployment bag next to it. Takes little space and enhances survivability. I figure I have about 400 into it and it basically never gets used. So for sure, different situations and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    So I need to get Black Rifle Coffee to make P239s cool again?
    Only if BRC were to start making the 239.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As long as we are discussing trends, the hooded sun shirt has become the default upper garment that I see at matches and the range.

Back to battle belts -- I like them and a Safariland ALS for running a chain saw and similar tools around our remote cabin, and training in the rain and very cold conditions. Out and about, I find AIWB protects the pistol better, is lighter weight, and doesn't broadcast having a firearm.
    Hooded sun shirt is just smart all around. For those that wear a helmet at work it can’t be beat. Patagonia is my favorite. Haha

As far as trends and such, I’m sure we’ve all seen the growth of various once obscure activities. Mountain biking certainly comes to mind. Once a run-what-you-brung activity turned into bike accessories matching jerseys and goggles, and at the same time costing more than a motorcycle.

Growth of any activity brings the good and bad, but it’s better to see folks outside than ass glued to the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    So I need to get Black Rifle Coffee to make P239s cool again?
    They were never not cool.

What we really need is to make P245s cool again. So I can not buy one, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullybones View Post
    Hooded sun shirt is just smart all around. For those that wear a helmet at work it can’t be beat. Patagonia is my favorite. Haha

As far as trends and such, I’m sure we’ve all seen the growth of various once obscure activities. Mountain biking certainly comes to mind. Once a run-what-you-brung activity turned into bike accessories matching jerseys and goggles, and at the same time costing more than a motorcycle.

Growth of any activity brings the good and bad, but it’s better to see folks outside than ass glued to the couch.
    I think the Kuiu is top of the heap for sun hoodies and their price can't be beat.

https://www.kuiu.com/products/gila-ls-hoodie-black
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List